Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 CD: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festivals - Vol. 1
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  02:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Depending on where you look on the CD cover, the title of this CD is "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festivals - Vol. 1", "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festivals: 'Best of the Best' - Vol. 1", or "Ki Ho`alu No Ka`oi". Regardless, this is a must-have CD for any slack key fan, with 17 live tracks by 17 artists (including several TaroPatch.net members) culled from the first 20 years of the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festivals. (All proceeds from the sale of the CD go to the Ki Ho`alu Foundation.)

While the music is excellent and remarkably well-recorded, the liner notes give only a background of the festivals and no information on which festival each song is from, or information on the songs themselves (photos of the performers are included). In fact, the songs are listed without any indication of the performer! As it turns out, the label chose to list the performers on the front cover in order of their appearance and assumed they didn't need to repeat it on the track listing. Here's the complete information (you saw it here first):

1. Yodel Song (Gary Haleamau)
2. Opai`e (Michael Kaawa)
3. Sassy (Brother Noland)
4. Punahou Special (Ledward Ka`apana)
5. Ko`ali (Pekelo Cosma)
6. Slack Key #1 (George Kuo)
7. Waimanalo Blues (James "Bla" Pahinui)
8. Steamship Haleakala (George Kahumoku, Jr.)
9. How'd Ya Do (Ikaika Brown)
10. Kealohalani (Maunalua)
11. Wai O Ke Ani Ani (Raymond Kane)
12. Kaloke O Maui (Dennis Kamakahi)
13. Ua Mau Ke`ia O Ka Aina Ika Pono (Dennis Pavao)
14. Ka Makana Ka`ili Aloha (Cyril Pahinui)
15. Portuguese Folk Song (Makana)
16. Hi`ilawe (The Pahinui Brothers)
17. Makee Ailana (Native Hawaiian Band)

Regardless, head over to Aunty Maria's and pick up your copy of this limited edition CD while you still can. And be on the lookout for Vol. 2!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/03/2003 05:01:07 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile
The Item You Selected Is Temporarily OUT-OF-STOCK.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  3:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hmmm...it might be OOP already. Try calling the publisher at (808) 239-4336.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  3:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Not out-of-print. I bought one at the Maui slack key festival. Just contact Kahoku Productions at the number Craig posted. I bet Auntie Maria can get more.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  10:54:13 AM  Show Profile
The CD is just temporarily out of stock at mele.com -- more will be arriving next week from the distributor. The term "limited edition" can usually be translated to "if there's no demand, we don't do a reprint". But in the case of this CD, demand is still strong and I'd hazard a guess that it will be around for some time yet...

As for "who is playing what song?", the list of artists on the front cover corresponds to the list of songs on the back cover (how annoying
is that??). Or you can print the list Craig graciously posted here <wave!>, and tuck it inside your CD cover.

As for "when was this recorded?", the CD covers 20 years of these Festivals (which make a stop on each island, each year, with a w-i-d-e variety of musicians -- some of whom, don't even play slack key, go figgah! )

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This is back in stock at Aunty Maria's according to an email she sent out.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000