Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Favorite Recordings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  04:08:13 AM  Show Profile
What recordings can't you keep out of your CD player?
If you are like me, you sometimes get addicted to certain recordings and can't seem to hear them often enough. I'm listening to one now as I visit with you here at the Taro Patch, and write this.
It is Moses Kahumoku Ho'okupu "The Gift".
Moses just mesmerizes with his beautiful talent and songs.
I am fairly new to this, but how much better can it get? While I have you all here, does anyone know why we don't hear more from this talented musician? I understand that he is a fisherman? Tell me what you can. Mahalo!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
For some info on Moses, see here: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=293

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Yeh, Moses is a fisherman, 'cept of course he's on a long sabatical. I, too, think Moses is an incredible musician and it is a major loss to have him out of circulation. Hope he gets back to playing as soon as he can.

I have four albums that I keep coming back to: Beamer's Kolonahae, Kotani's To Honor a Queen, Steve Sano's Pu'ukani, and a compilation put together by Outrigger Hotels a few years back. However, I go for stretches with other albums - Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom is a favorite, Sonny Chillingworth, Na Leo, L. Ryder, K Reichel, Iz... come to think of it, the list gets pretty long. (When I get an album I enter it into a database so that when I want to learn a song I get quickly find the different versions I have - just entered song number 4,256 <I know others have more, but I am proud of my collection> - and I could easily go back to at least 80% of those and say it's my favorite cut at that time.) Overall, traditional Hawaiian musicians do a great job - I think because the music tends to mean much more to them than music typically means in the general American culture. You put extra effort into that which you value.
Raymond
san Jose

Edited by - RJS on 08/24/2003 4:46:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile
I'll jump in here. I have a big Hawaiian collection, but there are two slack-key tunes that bring me to my knees, both by Cyril Pahinui. "Lullaby for Pops", from the 6 & 12 String Album, is Cyril at his best, and no one's ever done "Kaulana Kawaihae", from the Ho'oilina Mau CD, better. My grandmother called them "Goose Bumples" (chickenskin).
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Anything by Ray Kane, Leonard Kwan, or Ozzie. Our own Don Kauli`a's freehand is in heavy rotation on my iPod at the moment!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Andy and Raymond,
The information on Moses is appreciated. I guess that we need to be reminded sometimes the gifted are also of this world, and have problems as we all do at times.
I hope Moses knows we miss him, and look forward to hearing him again. A talent like that should not be silent for too long, it leaves such an empty space where it should be full-of his music.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

sirqitous
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  9:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit sirqitous's Homepage  Send sirqitous an AOL message
The Hui Aloha CD on Dancing Cat just gives me the smileys every time. The jangly sound of Kamakahi and Kuo playing 6- and 12-string slack together (often in different tunings), plus Kawika Kamakahi's uke (especially his pa'ani on the country-flavored Steal Away)...whee-ha. And throw in the voice of Martin Pahinui as a nice bonus.
Aunty Genoa's Lu'au Hulas and Party Hulas (I got the old cassettes CD-R'd). Her vocal timbre, the swinging sound of the group, and Benny Rogers' unbelievable steel guitar olis.
Very first Hui Ohana album, Young Hawaii Plays Old Hawaii. 30 yrs old now and still makes me feel the way it does every time I go back to the Islands again...it must have evoked what they felt the old songs meant to their family and kupunas, way back when.
Uncle Sonny's Endlessly CD.....he sings and plays so sweet and slow on some tunes, someone said you feel like you can hear the coconut palms swaying in between the notes!
Just a few of many precious ones...
Aloha,
Eric

http://myspace.com/sirqitous
http://youtube.com/sirqitous

Edited by - sirqitous on 08/29/2003 10:37:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  9:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
eric,

i love those albums too (at least, those i've heard - i've never heard aunty genoa's album.

to the rest, anything by john keawe. before AMC, i thought his music was great. now, i think that both his stuff and his ohana is great. john defines "aloha spirit"...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  01:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Aunty Genoa's stuff is definitely worth a listen - beautiful, enjoyable - her phrasing is worth studying. Especialy those of us who play instrumental slack key - we need to listen to the great singers and here how they shape the song with the phrasing of the words.
To that effect, George Helm is great for that, as are Kahauanu Lake Trio. Want licks? Makaha Sons has great licks. Like more "classical style?" listen to the background guitar of Ho'okena.

I could listen to this stuff 24/7
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  01:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, I can't stop playing Gabby, "Pure Gabby", "I Just Play the Way I Feel," Gabby and Atta, Sunday Manoa with Peter Moon and the Cazemiro Brothers, and Makaha Sons of Niihau, "Live at Hank's Place." These are cassettes made from LP's, and I don't really know how to make CD's from these recordings. Can anyone kokua on how (or where) to make CD's from tapes? Mahalo.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  06:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
What kind of computer do you have?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000