Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Help! Watsonville CA kids slack key class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Torin
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  11:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Aloha
In a moment of hubris I signed up to teach a twice weekly begining slack key class at Linscott charter school. 10-12 7th in 8th grade kids 1:30-3:00 on mondays and wednesdays.
Most of the kids have had some experience with tight string guitar. Im planning to expose them to recordings, a little history, and some basic skill building towards playing a couple simple pieces.
Probably sticking with Taro patch tuning and Ozzie's Kani Ki Ho'Alu and Manuela Boy.
I could really use ideas for teaching kids. (Anyone local want to drop in?!) Also, were short on guitars. Donations of playable/repairable instruments would be great.
Mahalo! - Torin

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  12:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello Torin,

Give your keikis plenty of praise and encouragement. It works on me:0)
Direct them to taropatch.net for answers, advice and entertainment.
You are a farmer of "Ki Ho'Alu" cultivating the "slackers" of tomorrow.
Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  3:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Torin, you might want to connect with the DJs of the Hawaiian music show which broadcasts Sundays on KHDC-Salinas. Their listeners would probably be able to offer you plenny support!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha e Torin! Take a look at Keoki Kahumoku's DVD for ideas on practice exercises.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/03/2003 3:56:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Also depends on kids background - how much the have been exposed to Hawaii, hula and Hawaiian music. If not much it is a good idea to connect with a local halau, use pictures and talk story to put things into a context. If they come from Hawaiian families, ask them what songs their families like to sing.

I tought some kids about that age without much Hawaiia background - brought in a hula tape each class for at least 1 number -- used Hapa Haole stuff in simple strum arrangements with turnarounds. With the hapa haole you can also get them singing.

Raymond
san Jose
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  6:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha,
I'd concur about using Taro Patch as a tuning (and tuned down to F or so to make it easier on da limamanamana). Pick a couple pieces to teach, but also consider having them come up with any, really any, song they want and doing the ki ho'alu version. And why not hook up with the startion Auntie mentioned and have the DJ agree to either play a recording or have the group of kids perform a song on the radio at the finish of your class. Demonstrate, motivate, create and get out da way! Good luck!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  12:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Torin,

Aloha,

I'm 25 min from Watsonville, and even know Linscott E pretty well. Give me a ring at my address, piffle77 @ yahoo.com, and maybe I could be of some help.

I've a couple of older beater guitars to boot. (beach guitars)

Anyway, write me we can talk. Maybe I could be of some help. I sure would like to add something to this.

GREAT idea all around.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  03:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I got one guitar for ya; but it's up here in sebastopol. Can maybe send it South if someone comes this weekend from down that way.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Torin
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  10:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo!!!!!!
You folks are great
- Torin
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Torin,

I'm glad to see that kiho'alu is reaching the younger generation and I know with your guidance they will appreciate the music of the "kua 'aina" or backlands of Hawaii.

Encourage your students to find a time during the day when they can practice and enjoy the resonance of the guitar. Unfortunately, my creative time is between midnight and 6 am in the morning....haha....

Kiho'alu is like a sedative. It can make you relax to the point of slowly nodding off until the sun rises in the next morning.

If you follow the way the kupunas taught, that is by imitation and trial and error, you will be on your way to a rewarding experience.

Aloha pumehana,
Rev. Dennis Kamakahi

Go to Top of Page

SteveSun
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  05:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha

I just found this site and would like to help. I will post a email at my work to try to get some old guitars for the kids. Please email me with any contact information. Your efforts to pass down the traditions are truely respected and very honorable. I hope I am able to help. as I started my musical journey in the public schools in my area that no longer have music programs.

Mahalo
Steve Sun
Stevesun10 @ msn.com
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for carrying on the tradition and especially with the youth. You may want to contact a teacher in your area or Principal and get a crash course in how to make a daily lesson plan. If you tie in other things that that age group is familiar with (and thinks is "cool") it'll enhance the coolness level (and interest) of your subject, try surfing as part of the contribution Hawaiian's have made to us as well as slack key. Just a thought. Good luck

Jon
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  01:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Sounds like fun!! I wish they taught slack key to me when I was in school!!

aloha,

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page