Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila on O`ahu?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha everyone,

This is not something I usually do but I do not recall anyone asking a question in their profile bio either. Since it is highly unlikely to get an answer there, I thought I'd quote new member tsunami's bio here:
quote:
I learned slack key guitar from my cousin. I lived on one side of the island and he lived on the other side. I was 16 or 17 then. I caught the bus each week with my hard case and 6 string. My arm would get sore from walking around with that guitar, but that didn't stop me. My cousin admired my persistence and undying commitment to make ecery lesson that he would offer. He taught other students too, but since I was blood, he took care of me. I got pretty good. I even took lessons from uncle Raymond Kane over in Nanakuli for some time. But that's a whole other chapter in itself. Times got hard for me and I haven't played for awhile. My body has grown weak and my fingers don't sing like they usde to. But I have begun to recapture the past as middle agers have a tendency to and borrowed a guitar. I'm practicing off and on, not as much as I should, but I really would like to learn some new diddys. Mu style of playing is much like Ray's and leonard kwan, in fact, I don't know how to play any other style. Anyone out there wanna share some of their skills?
Wesley, welcome to the online `ohana. It'd be great to see some players on O`ahu getting together. I hope to join you all sometime.

Andy

kakahama
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  7:04:40 PM  Show Profile
yeah playing by myself is boring
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  8:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Jamming with someone who studied with Ray Kane would be great.
Wesley, maybe my next trip over we'll get together!
I just got back to Seattle last Saturday, but before I left Maui I ran into Akoni Dellomes from the group Ekolu. He also plays bass at the Lahaina Lu'au.
That was one of the best times of the trip.
Sorry Guys: I had to tell somebody about it!
Gary
Go to Top of Page

tsunami
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  8:43:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kakahama

yeah playing by myself is boring

Dear sir,

I understand that you are studying with Ozzie Kotani. I have taken a summer
intermediate course a few years back and learned some really interesting pieces.
I had the sheet music in tab but over the years they have been lost. There is
one piece that I am trying to recover, I don't remember the name except for that
it had ua in it and mentioned a valley. I got to where I was really good at
playing it and developed my own style, though I can only remember some of its
passages. Is it possible that you possess this piece or perhaps you may be able
to ask Mr. Kotani about it. I am surely willing to purchase sheet music in tab.
I doubt if he will remember me, my name is Wesley Taketa and my cousin, who
introduced me to slack key is Nelson Hiu. Mr. Kotani has recorded a piece that
my cousin wrote, Birdie's Slack Shake Key. Please respond. Thank you, tsunami.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000