Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Deciphering Keola Beamer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  03:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Would anyone enjoying deciphering Keola Beamer songs?
EX: I just took a listen to "Shells".
I come up with a Gm and Dm as possibly the only two chords in the song.
Gary

tsunami
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  10:25:18 PM  Show Profile
So Gary, what do you mean by deciphering Keola Beamers slack key? Do you want to transpose note to tab or try to figure out the notes through listening to the music? I never was good at the latter but I've seen many talented people who can.
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  02:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
tsunami, if you have Windows Media Player, you can copy one of Keola CD's to your computer.
Let's say you copy the CD Wooden Boat (or just the one song, Wooden Boat). By the way, Keola already lists on the CD cover he is playing Wooden Boat in C Wahine. Then play the song Wooden Boat and repeat sections until you have all the chords figured out. From there, getting the individual notes on the strings would be the next task. You are correct, it is a diffucult to pursue, but what I learn doing this is priceless.
At the moment as far as Wooden Boat goes, the song is played in C Wahine.
The next step would be to firgure out the chords for the verse, chords for the bridge and choruses, etc.
We can do this with Ray Kane songs or any songs people want to work on.
We can get the lyrics too and add these songs to our repertoire.
tsumi, let me know of a song you'd like to work on, and I'll let you now if I have a copy of it.
Gary
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile
This is one area that the old "look/listen - learn" method has an advantage - you get more "ear training" than you normally do by learning from written formats. (Written formats also have their advantage - I am a firm believer in TAB and notation.)
Picking songs our by ear gets more difficult when the artist records two or more tracks and mixes them together for the final version, or has two guitarists and multitrack, as Keola often does. I can offer two hints which helped me a lot -- 1) If you're new to learning by ear, Keola is a very tough place to start. My advice is to start with some simpler songs in which a basic melody is emphasized. I find that first picking out the melody is easier than first going for chords. Once you know the key and the melody, the basic chords come pretty easy. I'm coaching a friend and he's using Kapono Beamer's CD's. We both think it is an easier style to learn on. 2) Either get a program for your computer or get a stand alone "sampler" that lets you easily repeat sections and slow them down without loosing pitch. Tascam makes a great stand alone unit that works with your CD, lets you choose the passages you want to repeat/slow down. If you're into that kind of thing it even lets you plug in and play along.

Working with someone who knows how to do this might shorten your learning curve. If you want to get a brief set of instructions for ear training, I think the Homespun Tapes package is usefull. Still takes lots of work, but their systematic approach can help.

Good luck,
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  03:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Raymond, you hit the nail on the head. Keola with multiple voiceings has caused much frustration for me. I'll get a Kapono CD as you suggested and see how it goes.
I can use Acid 4.0 to slow the stuff down and keep it on pitch.
Thanks
Gary
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  1:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Gary,
I think there's some multi-tracking on Kapono, but I still find it hugely easier to rip stuff from him.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

haolegirl
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  01:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi. I just finished transcribing a Keola Beamer tune using my Mac, the original CD and some great software I downloaded to slow it down when needed. It's (the software) called "The Amazing SlowDowner", oddly enough, and works very well. Keola is kind and generous to include his tunings on his CDs; I can't imagine figuring it out otherwise.

Yes, it is a slow process, but so thrilling to figure it out and get to play it when I'm done! I highly recommend trying it. btw, ASD also works with PCs.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  02:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Couple of months ago I bought the Tascam sampler -- great tool and it frees me to work with it most anywhere. I personally prefer sitting upright, but hey Craig, can even use it laying down. The box first of all is a CD player. Then it lets you set a loop from any track - even whole thing if you want. Makes it easier to replay sections. Then it lets you slow it down while keeping pitch. It also is supposed to let you "transpose" to any key you want, but I haven't tried it. If you plug your guitar in, you can "play along" and it's got some neat digitial effects. It is not a recorder, but it does have phone and line out. It has no speaker, so you either have to use phones or plug in speakers (or play it through your amp/speakers) I picked up a cheap pair at Radio Shack for $30. which work very well. It's a battery hog, but I got a bunch of transformers laying around - one which fit the bill just fine. The Tascam box lists for about $200, but I was able to get it for $129. Add $30 for speakers - great deal.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000