Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Ki ho'alu players inOregon ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frozen poi
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Aloha braddahs & sistahs of Ki ho'alu,
I am new to the message board but not new to Oregon. Lived here now for 12 years. ( never thought that I would ever leave Kaua'i ).Got
bitten by the ki ho'alu bug since the early 70's, and can never have enough of learning more and more on slack key. Would consider it an honor to meet other artist in the area. I live out in the Sandy area, just east of Portland, Oregon.
Looking forward to meeting and playing guitar with others that too have this love of one of Hawaii's most beautiful sounds.
Aloha ,Al
All I got is frozen poi

Edited by - frozen poi on 10/17/2003 11:45:16 PM

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Al,

I am not in Oregon but live in Olympia, WA which is not THAT far away. I believe Portland is about 2-1/2 hours from us. Born and raised in Hawaii, my wife and I moved here 1-1/2 years ago to be closer to the grandkids. We've been exploring down to Astoria and as far south as Seaside on the coast. You anywhere near there? I consider myself a beginner slack key player ... only know a half dozen or so full tunes and bits of several others. Now that I'm "retired", I hope to learn more.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

frozen poi
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  11:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha John,
Mahalo for the reply, great to hear from a fellow kamaaina. Our family often take short weekend camping trips to the north Oregon coast, but I actually live about 2 hours away from the coast. Back in Hawaii that would be considered too far to drive, it would take up all day to do, but up here in the mainland...not a problem! Yeah , if anytime you are in the Portland area look me up and we can discuss the finer aspects of playing ki ho'alu, ( like lau lau , poi lomi salmon, inu , oh yea of course guitar playing too).Hah hah.. I am currently working on the C tuning that Cyril Pahinui uses, and am interested in also learing more of the song Gabby & Atta did years back called "Howd you do" ,excuse if the spelling is incorrect.
Any ways drop a line anytime, gotta go pick up my kid now at church.
Aloha a hui hou,
Al
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Howdy
I am Portland resident just outside of Beaverton. Is that C Tuning you mentioned C G D G B D or C G E G C E? If you checked my profile, I am the resident theory nut, with 25 years of study and playing (and 15 of those years sounded vaguely musical). Getting into slack key was a backwards kind of thing for me. The more I was able to get into what my guitar likes, the more it sounds like the Ki Hoalu material I have listened to.
If you are into theory more than tablature, I can send you some material on whatever tunings you like. Check out my website (it's in the profile) to get an idea of what I'm into. My current favorite is C G D G A D (C Ni'ihau) and I have among other things a set of scale charts in every key. I also have developed a document that lets me create a scale chart in any tuning with any scale superimposed on it and export it as a PDF.
Interested?

Patrick

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

frozen poi
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Stringbreaker,
Thanks for the reply, it seems that you have figured it out. I on the other hand have spent alot of years trying to rely on my ears to figure out what chord or better yet,what sound comes next. Guitar playing started off as something to do between surf sessions years ago and now
all these years later I come across people like you with knowlege of how it works theoretically.(I learned how to play guitar kind of like how you learn how to surf, paddle out ,catch a million waves, eventually you start getting the hang of it.)
The C tuning that I use now is CGEGCE and if you can help me with those chord charts that would maybe help me to finish some of those songs that I'm working on. That C Ni'ihau tuning sounds interesting, I'll have to try that soon. One of these days we'll have to get together and play some ki ho'alu . I live in Sandy and would be honored to kanikapila ...
Mahalo , Al

Edited by - frozen poi on 10/21/2003 10:42:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Aloha
I would gladly play anytime, with the exception that, as my other name is Poppa Bear, I must submit my schedule to the needs of two three year old boys. Weekends can be very good with advance notice. I will PDF you some material in the next few days. How much of a beginner in theory are you? Do you know scales and basic chords, maybe modes? This is not to sneer, but to determine how much material I need to include. If I go yabbering on about diatonic scale patterns, your brain might turn off and I wouldn't blame you!
I figure major scales and a basic fretboard chart or so to get you started will be the best way, and if you need something more, don't hesitate to ask.
As for playing, I do tend to concentrate on original material, but if I know what tuning and can hear the melody, I can work out an arrangement fairly easily. (Experience with a traditional Celtic Band, among others). While I like Keola's material VERY much, it is a little like bluegrass albums, in that very often it is layered with multiple guitar parts. A joy to listen to, a pain to decipher.
Expect a pdf within a week if all goes well. If all else fails, I will send you the key of C fretboard chart for CGEGCE, a few related chords (Am, F,G7, Bm...) and a short list of related tunings (pre-prepared material).
Mahalo

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

frozen poi
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,
I just got news of a slackkey workshop here in Portland, just might be the place to meet all of you other ki ho'alu players in this area.
Am sure to attend both sessions. John A.(from Olympia) , maybe you could come down to Portland for this one. Its on Saturday, November 1, 2003. Info on Stringbreaker's post..
Stringbreaker.... are you attending?
As for being ma'a on the theory , we'll just figure on me being a beginner. What I'm looking for is more chords to play in the C tuning we dicussed.. I currently play in a Hawaiian band and am trying to do more slack key rather than the standard tuning, I also use Taro patch on occasion. Got this thing about how I would like it to sound (more authentic Hawaiian soul if you would say).Thanks for your time..I appreciate all the kokua. And will be looking forward to receiving the info from you.
Mahalo Plenty, Al
Got fresh poi today!
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  3:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Aloha
No, I can't attend, the timing is wrong. My and my wife's birthdays happen immediately before and we will be out of town as a result. Pity.
Document with chords will be coming at you ASAP. I will also include scale material, but not all of the scale stuff will be useful.
As for sounding more authentic, I have only one real suggestion and that is to work on your right hand technique. Ki Hoalu technique too often focuses on the left hand work, and as we always have to learn and relearn new things this makes sense. But I have neglected my own right hand technique too much and I have the simple solution. Find a piece you know well, preferably that you like a lot. Pick a short phrase and play it over and over while trying to relax. Watch your right hand while doing this. (You have to know the piece pretty well not to stare at the left hand...) Gradually, you will smooth out the movements, and also may find easier picking patterns. I caught myself making redundant movements which threw my timing off during this exercise, and I still catch myself making that kind of error when the left hand work gets hard. Try slowing the time in half if this is an issue.
Mahalo

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  11:38:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Al,

I just got too busy and haven't visited the TaroPatch site for a while. How was the workshop? I did hear about it and wanted to attend but it didn't work out for me. It sounded good and it would have been nice to meet. We are planning to drive down to Eugene some time in the future to meet a Viet Nam buddy that lives there that I haven't seen since 1969. Maybe we could arrange something then.

It's snowing like heck right now here in Olympia (a couple of inches on the ground) and has been since about 10:00 last night. It's really beautiful but is melting almost as fast as it's falling! It's the first time it snowed here since we moved to Washington in May of last year.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

frozen poi
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  5:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha John,
Too bad that you could'nt attend the workshop here in Portland, it was put together very well. Had a chance to meet other guitar players here in Oregon. Let me know when you pass through here , maybe I can put a Kanikapila session together and we can all meet.
We had a dusting of the white stuff here too, but nothing to call home about...its cold though.
Well keep the Ohana warm brah..
Aloha a hui hou,
Al
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000