Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A pointless complaint (or two)(or more)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  8:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
Can someone tell me why (1) this site is so interesting and (2) why I have to rush around like a headless chicken? If I spent less time working, I'd have more time to devote to keeping up-to-date with all the messages that come up. I might even have added all kinds of things to the various topics.

Like how great Led Kaapana's concert with Bob Brozman at the Birchmere was; and I could have told you loads more about Anjani Thomas (when that topic was hot); and how Maura O'Connell has recorded my favorite track featuring a Weissenborn; and how I actually did two 'firsts' in one evening - I finger-picked guitar in public for the first time in my life and I used taro patch tuning (even if the song was Irish). I'm slowly improving, but if I could just get some free time...

Thanks for letting me complain. On the bright side, I'm now in the running for the Leonard Kwan book - cool!

Jamie

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  11:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Maybe if you didn't have a life you would hang around here more.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  12:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey, wait a minute... (I resemble that remark.)

Jamie, it's a lot easier to keep up with things if you use the Active Topics link, set it to "Since my last visit", and then bookmark the page. Then use the arrow icon next the name of the last poster to jump to the most recent post for each updated topic. Now you only have to run around like a chicken with its head on fire.

As for what makes this place so interesting...my vote goes to all the aloha.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/06/2003 12:59:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
After seeing the subject heading, I'm relieved that you enjoy the site. You know there is no requirement for having an up-to-date reply to posts. You're welcome to revive older posts at anytime.

FYI, only archived posts cannot be replied to and (although I have no official policy) they tend to be over a year old. On the mainpage, click this icon to access archived topics.

Regarding spending less time working, that is probably a good idea. And if you cannot afford to work less, just don't sleep. That is what I do. Soooo tired...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I like this one from a card I picked-up on Maui:

There's two ways to be rich; work more or desire less.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Along the same lines, my favorite is:

Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Forget where I saw it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't that what your guitar said when it fell?
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  10:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e launie,

I'm still interested in what you might have to tell about Anjani Thomas. When you get a chance.

-Sarah "desiring less and wanting what she has, but still needing lots of sleep" ;-)
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jamie,

i'd also like to hear about how you're now fingerpicking irish tunes in taro patch...

last month at keola beamer's camp i got to play backup for a friend who did two numbers on the irish tin whistle. i did them in Leonard's drop C. it worked out really well! do you think the world is ready for irish-hawaiian fusion?

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
Thanks for the tips on managing my time better, but they sort of miss a certain point. Namely, I love reading your messages and trying to keep up-to-date with them. Do you think if I got my wife to take on another job, that would solve the problem?

With the Irish stuff, a lot of Irish players use DADGAD or DADEAE or some such similar tuning. But me, being unadventurous and boring, I always stuck to standard, though occasionally I was really brave ... drop D!

Thanks to George Kahumoku, I've been introduced to taro patch. Over the last couple of years, I've been steadily and slowly working away but basically keeping the two traditions separate - finger pick one, flat pick the other. Until I discovered Seven Nights Drunk works wonderfully with a sort of slack key accompaniment. When I found that out, I went berserk, experimented and I reckon I can now accompany virtually any Irish tune using taro patch and a capo.

I've also discovered some melodies are a lot easier to play using taro patch, too. So I've been experimenting a lot. I'm too lazy to carry two guitars everywhere, so it would be nice to do everything just on one. Mind you, if I could persuade my wife to bring a second guitar for me, I could carry on in the same old way, couldn't I?

As far as Hawaiian-Irish fusion goes, I've already done it at gigs. I call it Hi-wirish.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  5:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
As far as Hawaiian-Irish fusion goes, I've already done it at gigs. I call it Hi-wirish.

yeah, hawai`i go braugh! erin no ka oi!

it sounds like great fun,
aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't there already some great Hawaiian-Irish fusion? I'm thinking Hapa. They did a gorgeous number featuring slack key guitar and uilleann pipes (Aloha Namahana, on the Namahana CD). Sweet enough to break your heart.

-Sarah

(ed. note: I knew I'd spell the name of those pipes wrong! thanks to launie for the correction.)

Edited by - Sarah on 09/11/2003 3:48:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  9:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Launie,

Aloha! I think what you are describing is called coping.

I often spend a little time in my head enjoying beauty as I remember it. It often involves the feelings and essence I get when I hear Hawaiian music.

Then the stark realization that I'm having those thoughts...while either dreaming or wishing, when suddenly realizing that I'm in hour 7 of a 12 hour shift, 6 or 7 days a week, working for the 'man', wanting nothing more than to scream to my self 'cause I am so not in control of my destiny...........or am I.?

But I digress.....I know what you mean. I just found this thread cause I've been stuck at Boeing for the last 2 months. This site is so interesting 'cause a lot of people who feel just like you hang out and talk here. We are close Ohana evan if most of us have never met.

You did the right thing. Open the paragraph with a big 'what the hell...over' kind'uva statement. We really do understand that here. We've all been (or are still) there.

Yer writing struck a nerve with me Jamie, and no doubt some others out here also.
We do what we gotta do cause we all jump thru the hoops of life to manage our sense of sanity.

We take breaks from 'reality' and come to places like this, to see what it could be like.

We re-enforce those thoughts thru actions,thoughts, and deeds, to keep what is important to us. That is why we write about what diameter string so and so is using on that Brazilian Zxangowood top guitar made by Sven Guitarp, on a deserted guitar farm in lower Sweden..........'cause HE'S so got the TONE.

It makes what is important to us, seem important, in a messed up world.

We could all check invoices all the day long....but will we ever find out what strings Sven was using..

Keith.. Hawairish?....you need to listen to Hapa....Barry Flanagan, a nice boy from Jersey, of Scottish descent... so recently acclaimed for his Irish style of guitar.

Okay, again, off of my soapbox for a bit..

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  9:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

With humble apologies to Sarah, ...what she said!

I did'nt read the rest of the replies.

Hapa Hapa Hapa.....!!!

Done shouting now.

El Piff

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  11:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi piff nui and sarah,

you're right, barry slipped my mind...

i guess i'm going to have to start working on a hawaiian version of *la traviata* or something...

keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000