Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Most musical side of Maui?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  01:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha everybody...
I'm planning a (first time) trip to Maui for next spring or summer, and I'm hoping to soak up as much live music as possible. I'm also wondering where to stay, west side (Lahaina to Kapalua) or south side (Kihei). We'll get to Hana at some point, too.
For those of you with experience on Maui, which side is closer to the most venues for Hawaiian music? I don't want to trek halfway around the island every night if I don't have to...
Mahalo for any advice.
Jesse Tinsley

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  12:49:32 AM  Show Profile
I have always thought that Ma'alea Harbor was the most central location with the maximum ability to get to all the places where stuff is happening. However, we have never stayed there even though there are condos, etc. in that vicinity. It is about 1/2 hour from there to the resorts of Wailea as well as up the coast to Kapalua and about 15-20 minutes into Kahului or Wailuku. Next to that I would say Lahaina but you have that slow 2 lane road from Lahaina to anything east or south. It is about 45min to 1 hour from Kahului to the resorts at Napili/Kapalua, so I would say that Kahului is out.

Hana, is of course, away from everything. There are a few professionals playing in Hana, but just a few. There may be more actual LOCALS playing in Hana, but, other than Duke, I don't know them!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/23/2003 12:56:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jesse

I waited to reply because I thought the local Mauians might weigh in and provide a more definitive answer (and they still may), but I thought I would start you thinking with some accounts of our own experiences.

Lawerence is right about Ma`alaea’s centrality, but I think you will find yourself driving a lot anyway. In addition, there is a power plant/waste burning plant right at the bay, and when the wind is from the north, which it often is, downwind, where the condos are, is very unpleasant. Sarah and I have had some lovely beach walks spoiled by that plant.

That leaves the northwest side and Kihei. We prefer the former. it is greener and cooler (since the winds wrap around the lower mountains and all the rentals are right on the water. There are choke nice condos on Lower Honoapi`ilani Road that are quite reasonable (about $120/night give or take). Make sure that you are north of Honokowai since there is a yucky smelling waste treatment plant at the north end of Ka`anapali. Remember the meaning of Lähaina. It is truly hot there during the day. Although Kihei is a true desert, there are a few reasonable and nice rentals right at the border of Kihei and Wailea that are on the water and amid greenery. Do a Google search.

As for Hawaiian music venues, most are on the west side or in Kahului. Take a look at
http://www.mauimapp.com/entertainment/west.htm
From that page, you can get to the other areas of the island. Hula Grill usually has very good music. And remember that George and friends have arranged for headliners (including himself) to appear at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. I am not sure when that series starts, but maybe somebody else here knows and can tell you, and maybe it is on George’s web site. Look at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center’s website for concerts; they have lots. The Blue Marlin, at the harbor and Aquarium, certainly must be doing something even though Don left. Check with Kevin to see what he and Ikaika and Sheldon are doing when you are there. Certainly go to Waihe`e Church and hang and play and listen with all our friends. No need to pay money - this is Da Bes’ IMNSHO. Wailea shops often have Hawaiian music during the day, and sometimes at night.

As for driving: treat it as sight-seeing. The traffic ain’t that bad - compared to here, it is downright trivial (ask Lawrence about traffic on 101 :-). The views are uniformly GORGEOUS. Go early while it is still light, enjoy the scenery and the sights of surfers and fishers, order a cool one and enjoy the sunset.

Enjoy,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  1:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm looking forward to the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Concert Series". Well, since I'm on the east coast, perhaps I should say, "I'm looking forward to hearing about it." The first show is planned for October 14, 2003. Here is the link for the schedule: http://www.slackkey.com/schedule.htm

There is not a lot of info out on this right now. I believe the program is initially planned for one year. It is the brainchild of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Productions, Inc. a corporation founded by Paul Konwiser and Wayne Wong. Sounds like a great concept which I hope will do well.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  8:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Jeez Andy, I wish I could be thankful after reading that R-C Kapalua schedule, but all I am is jealous of Jesse. Does that mean I am an evil person? Well, we *did* get George and Keoki and Nancy on the night of the Big Blackout (and spam musubi,etc.,too as well as some Nile Virus mosquitos) in Deep River, CT. AND they did sing "Meestah San Cho Lee" which made at least one of us scream :-). I am never satisfied; I want it all.

Jesse, you have *lots* of options. Tell us all about it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  06:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Jesse,

Pls. post another reminder about your trip in Spring or Summer a few weeks before the date. You are certainly welcome to join us in one of our Saturday jams at our Waihee Ohana. If you send me an email of the exact date, I will make sure I will be there. I say this because I've been missing a lot of jams out there lately.

Most cultural entertainment (tourist kine) are better in the Kaanapali area or West Maui for that matter. Night life is also more active out that area. Make sure you visit the Kapalua Shops at the Kapalua resort specially on Tuesdays at 10:30 am for the Ukulele show with Peter D'Aquino. There is also free lei making class on Wednesdays at 1 pm and free Hula Lessons on Fridays at 10:30 am. These events are less commercial than those you see in hotels. Let Peter know if you want to jam with him during his show, you will have fun. While in Kapalua, Ritz Carlton has also all kinds of cultural events on Friday mornings.

ed

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  10:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalos everyone,
It's all been very helpful. I'll be travelling with wife and small children, so I'll count myself lucky to get to any live music at all without toddlers (nap time, diapers, tantrums) tearing us away. But the three things on my must-do list are the Waihe'e jam, Willie K (hope he's in town) and any leo ki'eki'e I can find.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  04:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Not musical per se, but there is a great 40-page PDF guide to Maui (written from a traveler's perspective) available for free at:

http://www.mauihawaii.org

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  05:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Hapakid

Glad your family will be able to spend sometime here together,in the islands.

Seems like everyone just about covered all the spot's you should see.

I'd like to add two more. 1. The "Waihee Jam Session's" are held every saturdays. From 10:30 until whenever.

2. You can catch Willie K. every Monday nights at "Hapa's" located in Kihei.

You can e-mail me or slack key bill before you come. And i'll give you direction's to both places. ( waihee & hapa's.) Have a great trip, hope you can fit in the waihee slack key kanikapila.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  9:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jessie,
The Maui News has a weekly magazine called the Maui Scene that they print on Thursdays and it lists what's happening around the island. You can check it online at http://www.mauinews.com/magazine/magazine.asp
then click the music link. Have fun planning your Maui visit and hope to see you at Waihee while you are here.
Aloha, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  02:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo nui loa!
We started planning this trip to give us something warm to look forward to after a long cold Idaho winter. My wife wanted us to go to Mexico for a generic beach vacation and I wanted us to go to Oahu (again)to see my Hawaiian 'ohana. But she didn't want to sit in rush hour traffic on H1, or fight through crowds of Japanese toursts again. Our compromise is Maui, which we have never visited. It's where my grandfather was born and raised and an obviously magical place, even when bunkered by condos and overrun by haoles with golf clubs.
We've spent hours on the web, reading books and asking friends about it, and now we're so excited we can hardly sleep at night. We need to curb our enthusiasm a little, at least until we put the snow tires on the minivan.
I hope to meet some Taropatch.net 'ohana when I'm there. Of all the Hawaiian music web sites, this one is the home of ka po'e maoli, aloha and respect for Hawaiian culture. It's always a pleasure to read the forums here.
Me ke aloha pumehana,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  8:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha nui loa,
By all means, be excited by it. If you open yourselves, there is nothing but magic and expansion that awaits you. Sure, it is in your best interest to find all the slack key you can, but also know that just opening your "na'au" to be massaged will present the situations and teachers that you all need at this particular time. I, too, get "too excited" by my Hawai'i experiences, but I always find what I need, it's always powerful and wonderful, and I can't wait to do it again.
Have fun. And have fun with your wife. And you both, have fun with your child. An open heart is the only tourist guide to lokahi.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000