Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 classical GAS pains
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha kakou,

i was down at buffalo brothers on saturday taking my ukulele down to get a pickup put in. of course, while there, it would be unspeakably rude to simply walk out without first trying out a few guitars. beside, you never know, perhaps overnight there has been a technological revolution like titanium saddles or rotating pickguards or 18 string guitars or something. education is important.

after a very short time, certainly no more than an hour, i came across a nylon-stringed breedlove. i like breedloves, and this one was nice in that it had a narrow fretboard (good for steelheads like me) and it had the boomy bass that breedloves are known for. it didn't have that plastic jobber inside that the traditional breedloves have. one of the guys there then told me that taylor is also working on a nylon string guitar for steel string players. i asked if this was in response to some huge groundswell from steel strings to nylon. he said "nope. it's a narrow niche market."

luckily for domestic tranquility, our conversation continued until i was kicked out because they were closing. of course, i now have the aftereffect of GAS.

so, nylon slackers, have you tried these crossover guitars? what are your thoughts in terms of sound and ability to be slacked?

aloha,
keith

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:41:45 PM  Show Profile
I tried two of them out some time ago, long ago enough to not remember the names. The question I asked was ,"what will this give me that I won't get with a compararble classical style guitar." My answer was nothing for me - that's because I play a classical guitar. I didn't see the more narrow fret board as an advantage - actually for me more of a nuisance 'cause I'd have to relearn how to "feel" around the fretboard. Sound? Well, if I remember correctly, the guitars were in the 1500 range - and I'm not sure they sounded any better than a decent classical guitar in the 800 - 1000 range. In fact, if I remember right, they didn't have the depth of tone and the mellow resonance I like to hear, So, for me, not a great deal. On the other hand, for a steel string player who wants the incomparably beautiful sound of a nylon string guitar without having to relearn a fretboard and who has the money to spare -- worth checking out.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Keith,

Taylor isn't "working on" a nylon string. They put them out at least last year, maybe earlier. Same with Rainsong. Both come with electronics.

The only one I've tried is a Rainsong. Nice, but pretty quiet. (I like a classical guitar myself.) My impression is that steel string makers don't like to make a guitar light enough to be really driven by low-tension nylon strings, so they are OK if you like to plug in. Maybe the makers look at it as flimsy, not light. Based on the lack of raves about Breedloves on CG forums, I think that is true for them as well.

I have read enthusiastic reports on all three from steel players trying out nylon, so requirements and perceptions vary.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  11:04:45 AM  Show Profile
I am primarily a steel string player, but I have a nice classical
from a luthier in Miami. I also purchased one of the Taylor
nylon series guitars from a friend recently. The Taylor nylon
guitar does not have the power or depth of tone acoustically of
other classicals that I have played. However, it sounds nice
plugged in and it is easy to play because of the relatively
narrow neck and radiused fingerboard. The Taylor works well to me
for jazz style playing. I don't know if it has enough punch
for some slack key tunes unplugged. It works better when amplified. I guess it depends on your playing style and what you want. If you
play mainly Peter White style, the Taylor should work for you. If
you play John Williams style, the Taylor may not be suitable.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  2:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha

I bought a Taylor NS42-CE and all of the above observations I agree with. Quiet. Sounds better plugged in. One good thing, for me, is that it made me rediscover the classical guitar I have been ignoring. My classical is nothing outrageous, I bought it from a luthier in upstate NY (for about $900) who was brokering them for a guitar maker in Spain. I like the wider fretboard because I have big fingers and find myself playing it exclusively these days.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  4:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I found the "ultimate" electric/classical fusion guitar on eBay a few months back:

http://www.ariaguitars.com/jp/02prod/0103ag/nxg01.html

It sounds great (to my ear anyway) and is a blast to play!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/09/2003 4:27:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  4:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Craig,

I was about to make some smart remark about that's no beach guitar without hauling an amp with you. Then I remembered the instructor for my uke class has a nice portable amp that doesn't eat batteries too badly. I forget the make, it's black, shaped like an oversized coffee can, and has sheetmetal with lots of perfs protecting the speaker. Nice setup.

Your Aria has a face. It looks a bit like a cartoon cat or dog, cat I think, one ear a little battered :^)

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi craig,

neat guitar, but everybody knows that the perfect beach guitar is a ukulele.

say, i finally make it to a SCSKS meeting and you're not there... hope you're doing well...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It has its own personality, that's for sure! And it's actually surprisingly loud acoustically...not loud enough for the beach but good enough for a few friends hanging out together. I've played it both unplugged and plugged at Southern California Slack Key Society meetings.

It's really trippy playing something that looks and feels like an electric but sounds like a classical. (I just bought a Line 6 Variax, which should be even more trippy since it models 28 different acoustic and electric guitars.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/09/2003 7:18:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

...everybody knows that the perfect beach guitar is a ukulele. ...

YES!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  7:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

i finally make it to a SCSKS meeting and you're not there... hope you're doing well...
Sorry about that Keith...I sprained my ankle pretty badly over the weekend and had to rest it on Monday. I was bummed...I was ready to try out a new song (new for me)! I'll bring the Aria and the Variax to the next meeting.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/09/2003 7:21:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Craig...How does your Aria sound unplugged? I only heard it plugged in at the August SCSKS meeting.

I hope your ankle's OK! What condition is the other guy in after you kicked him? Jus kiddin...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  03:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ha! Actually, I was crouching down on the ground helping my daughter with a woodworking project at Home Depot and my leg fell asleep so completely that when I stood up and put my weight on it my ankle just crumpled. I can walk on it now but it looks terrible. How are your injuries doing?

I think the Aria sounds pretty good unplugged. You're not going to mistake it for a high-end classical, but most people are surprised.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/10/2003 03:31:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I love my classical guitar because nylon strings are so non-threatening, I can play and play and play and play and play, drink some water, play and play and play and play, use the bathroom, play and play and play...
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Craig!
Ouch! I hope your ankle heals up quick!!! I get the pins out of my hand later today and I can't wait to play again! Thanks for askin'.

Back on the GAS topic... One thing I've learned about my own GAS is that it never went away til I saved up the $$ and got my dream guitar. Maybe half the appreciation comes from the pining and saving. It used ta totally consume me and now I'm so happy I never even think about other guitars. So, Keith, start saving and go for your dream!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Craig's Aria is one of the most fun guitars to play. It has so many frets. You can actually play harmonics on the 24th fret

Sorry about your ankle, Craig. You missed meeting some new people.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000