Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Leonard Kwan: The Complete Early Recordings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  1:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cord International's CD release of Leonard Kwan's first two LPs (on Tradewinds) has made its first appearance on Cord's Web site:

http://www.cordinternational.com/new_releases.htm

Not orderable yet, but coming soon!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  12:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks a lot for posting this cpatch, I've been waiting for this one!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This just in from Michael Cord in response to a query about the release date:

We have 7 in front of that one. The booklet is being designed right now. I haven't decided on a release date. It will be soon.

BTW, if you have Leonard's teaching book this CD is a must-have...all the songs in the book will be on this CD.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2003 :  11:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi cpatch,

Yes, I've been waiting for this CD for two reasons: One is that I've always loved Leonards music since my childhood days and don't have any of his recordings except the one that is already available on CD. And two, I do have his teaching book and it would really be nice to hear what he's trying to teach!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Just checked Cord's web site today and it's still not orderable. Man, they sure take a long tme to finally release it!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  1:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Distributor gave me the playlist (see below), and sez release date is now "mid-November". Wu-huuuuuuuuuuuu!
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2765.htm

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  01:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Interesting. This includes Leonard's first 45 rpm single from 1957 (Hawaiian Chimes/Island Recording Sound 314), his songs from Party Songs Hawaiian Style (Tradewinds TS-102), all the songs from Slack Key (aka "the red album": Tradewinds TS-103) with the exception of Nahenahe Wiki (a faster tempo version of Nahenahe, which is included), his songs from Slack Key (aka "the black album": Tradewinds TS-106), and all the songs from The Old Way (Tradewinds TS-1128). So, in other words, it's a lot more than just the two LPs shown on the CD cover.

I'm curious about the My Yellow Ginger Lei/E Huli Huli Ho`i Mai medley...Yellow Ginger Lei appears on each of his first three LPs but never as part of a medley. (E Huli Huli Ho`i Mai doesn't appear on any.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 11/03/2003 01:21:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

tsunami
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  9:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey cpatch!

This is the recordings that I have been looking for. They will be out on CD right?!! Yellow Ginger Lei was one of the first songs I learned on the guitar, but since then, it has morphed into something that sounds like what I had originally learned. I really want to get back to my roots and try to recover those tunes that have been lost in the memory banks! Leonard Kwan has a playing style that is unique, and I sure do enjoy playing those songs that I still remember.

da tsunami...
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile
First shipment arrived this morning -- Bob just put up the soundclips.
Wu-huuuuuuuuu!
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2765.htm

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Maria,

There was no link to Leonard's catalog from the soundclips so it could be bought that way, just from "New Releases" on index page.

You might want to connect it up so we all can buy you out :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile
That's just one of the recent upgrades to mele.com -- ordering system is different now, but _much_ more user-friendly.

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  8:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The extended version of the liner notes (apparently more than what's included with the CD) for this CD, along with Leonard's handwritten sheet music for `Opihi Moemoe, can be found online at:

http://www.dancingcat.com/recordings/LeonardKwanCord.html

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000