Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Makana -- Honolulu Advertiser recommends
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  4:52:03 PM  Show Profile
Wayne Harada of the Honolulu Advertiser gave a nearly-gushing review of Makana's new CD. Here's a snippet:

"Distinguishing notes -- Makana celebrates ki ho'alu with this vocal-instrumental outing of 14 tunes, a hana hou and a movie clip from his Hawai'i Theatre concert. The slack-key purist will find new delight in his treatments of "Moana Chimes" and "Opihi Moemoe," but there are other attention-getters, such as his traditional take on "Na Ka Pueo," "Ku'ulei 'Awapuhi" and "Makee 'Ailana." Makana turns in a few originals, pays homage to early mentor Sonny Chillingworth, and borrows from colleague-master Keola Beamer. Moods range from unabashedly romantic to unfailingly nahenahe."

For the full review:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/il/islandsounds

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  5:07:26 PM  Show Profile
As I mentioned in a comment in another thread - this is a great album
The more I listen to it, the more good stuff I hear on it.
You "regulars" out there know that I don'y gush too often - but this one is worth it.
For instance, who has the cajones to riff on Opihi Moe Moe while playing a tempo? And pull it off -- I don't care how many times you practice that - you just gotta be good to pull it off! Or how about transcibing a Keola B. duet instrumental for 1 guitar and recording it. (Surprise - it's an excellent job.) But my favorites are still his covers on the ballads. Youthful but with soul.

From someone who didn't like his 1st album, thought his 2nd. was pretty good -- this one takes him up a degree of magnitude in my opinion.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000