Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Leonardo Nunes Radio Tenor Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukulelefan129
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I am an Ukulele player as well as a collector of vintage Ukulele. I have several quite rare instruments that I really love. My favorite of all my vintage is the Leonardo Nunes Radio Tenor model. In all of my travels and in all of my discussions with other Ukulele enthusist/collectors, none but two poeple have ever seen a Radio Tenor. I know of only two other than mine. One is in the hands of Chuck Fayne of the Flea-market music uke yak site and the other belongs to another collector in the San Francisco Bay area. Does anyone out there in Uke land have or know of any other examples of this instrument to exist. I have often wondered how many of these little jewels actually are still around. Curious minds want to know!

Tom B.
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  12:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ukefan. I don't know of another Radio Tenor besides the two you mention (I met a guy at the Northern California ukulele festival who told me he has one --- probably the same guy you're talking about.) But Chuck Fayne has been talking about releasing a reproduction of this famous but little-seen uke. And a recent posting on the Flea Market bulletin board said that Maui luthier Ken Potts is working on a Radio Tenor model. I don't know if Ken and Chuck are collaborating on the reproduction, but I wouldn't be surprised (Chuck has teamed up in the past with Bay Area builder Marc Silber to create the Frisco Uke). I'm saving my pennies right now!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  02:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Interesting story behind Leonardo Nunes (or his father, Manuel, at least):

Manuel Nunes emigrated to Hawaii from Madeira in 1879, quickly becoming a major force in the transformation of the Portuguese braguinha, a small four-stringed, guitar-like instrument also known as the cavaquinho, to the Hawaiian ukulele. Utilizing such native Hawaiian woods as Koa, he was one of the earliest ukulele makers, operating his manufacturing company for more than forty years. With some design and tuning changes, the instrument became popular among the Hawaiian people who referred to it as the “ukulele,” or “jumping flea.” Nunes’ skills were inherited by apprentices such as Samuel Kamaka as well as his son, Leonardo Nunes, who carried on the tradition of fine quality ukulele construction.

[This is from http://njfolkfest.rutgers.edu/ukulele.htm]

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ukulelefan129
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  11:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Tom B and cpatch and anyone else out there,
Thanks for the Nunes history cpatch. Apparently Leonardo was the black sheep of the family and ended up moving to LA and built most of his Ukes there. You would never know by looking at them that they were not made in Hawaii.
As for my quest for locating existing Radio Tenors, heres what I have come up with thus far.
1- Chuck, Australia
2- Jeff, Southern California
3,4 & 5 All in the San Fracisco Bay Area :
3- John, South Bay
4- Rick, East Bay
5- Damian, North Bay
Tom, Rick is a regular at the Ukulele Festival in Hayward so we are talking about the same person. I brought mine to the festival last year so Rick has seen mine but I have not seen his. Well you know what I mean. Any body else out there with something to share ?
Go to Top of Page

tippergrl
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send tippergrl a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ukulelefan129

I am an Ukulele player as well as a collector of vintage Ukulele. I have several quite rare instruments that I really love. My favorite of all my vintage is the Leonardo Nunes Radio Tenor model. In all of my travels and in all of my discussions with other Ukulele enthusist/collectors, none but two poeple have ever seen a Radio Tenor. I know of only two other than mine. One is in the hands of Chuck Fayne of the Flea-market music uke yak site and the other belongs to another collector in the San Francisco Bay area. Does anyone out there in Uke land have or know of any other examples of this instrument to exist. I have often wondered how many of these little jewels actually are still around. Curious minds want to know!

Hi, I have Leonardo Nunes Radio Tenor and just found out that it is a really good ukelele. And rare? Can you tell me the value? I have just been using it for decor for years. Ty Tippergrl
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  02:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
There's a Nunes (not a Radio Tenor) currently up for grabs on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708452480&category=16224

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  09:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Aloha everyone, I had the honor of meeting the great-grandson of the inventor of the ukulele, Mr. Leslie Nunes a couple of years ago. He is a very friendly and knowledgeable person that ran the Hawaii's Musical Museum, a collection of ukuleles old and new. I'm sure Mr. Nunes would be happy to answer any ukulele related questions you may have. His email address at the time of our meeting was ukulelenut @ Hawaii.rr.com. Have a wonderful kanikapila!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000