Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shorebreak
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update guys. I hope to make the next one.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  02:54:22 AM  Show Profile
PROTOCOL?

Do you have to be "invited" to these kanikapilas? Are they usually at someone's home? What exactly is the protocol? Mahalo, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Nanahonua
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Protocol: Jams are held at private houses. They are potluck/byob events. Usually 30 or more people are there, but not everyone plays music. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming in the traditional Hawaiian style. Most of the people have known each other for many years (I am a relative newcomer). Eric is the second person I brought along to one of these kanikapilas, and I will invite anyone else who enjoys playing Hawaiian music. The next one is in January.
Go to Top of Page

HaoleBoy
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  02:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Aloha. I'm new to the forum (been reading for a while, but just signed up). I saw that this thread is inactive, but the latest post said that there is another kanikapila in January. I would really like to come and meet some other slack key players. I've only been learning guitar for about a year (verrry slow progress...), and this would be my first time playing with anyone except my teacher, but what the heck. Any more info? Can I get invited?

Cheers
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  11:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
what 's up vernon ? merry belated christmas and a happy new year! i could'nt make the last kanikapila in palolo because i was sick but i'm looking forward to the next one this month. if I do get the directions (crossing fingers) i will contact those who are interested. (greg and tim so far) aloha ya all...
Go to Top of Page

Nanahonua
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  3:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Eric - Just got the notice yesterday for the next one on the 24th. Shall I forward it to you? If you have it already, please contact Tim and Greg. Thanks. I skipped the last one in Palolo too, but am planning to go this time, especially since it's right by my house.

Vernon
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  11:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Thanks Vernon for the heads up, I forwarded the info to both Greg and Tim. (Anyone else? email me or post here)Sorry Kevin that you could'nt attend maybe next time. See you there Vernon. Alohas...
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  9:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Greg? Tim? Your emails are being returned to me. Oh well, I tried. Email me if still interested.
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  12:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
It was a memorable kanikapila Saturday night. I got to meet and play music with the 4 authors of the new "He Mele Aloha" Hawaiian song book. I jokingly complained to Carol Wilcox about the big ring that binds the pages and how the last page of the book kept coming off. She acknowledged the problem and said, "Just squeeze the last 2 coils together and stick um in the end puka of the page to secure it". Other notables that performed with and without us were singer/guitarist Glenn Pinho, singer/dancer Melveen Leed and the guy that can easy modulate to 4 different keys with the help of 2 headed guitar George Kuo. Of course the room was filled with many unnotables that could sing, play guitar, ukulele, banjo, bass, steel guitar and bongos with the best of um. I was told by an senior participant that this gathering of musicians and those who love Hawaiian music started over 20 years and has evolved into what it is now. I thank those of you who organize "Kanikapilas". You do play a very big role in perpetuating the Hawaiian culture through it's music and sharing. Always a big aloha and mahalo to my friend Vernon who introduced me to this wonderful crowd of people. Have a righteous day...
Go to Top of Page

Nanahonua
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Good to see you again at the jam, Eric. It had to be one of the best. George played stuff that I never heard him play before. And Melveen sure can sing. It was the first time I saw her in person. The steel guitar and upright bass players were both very accomplished musicians. Flawless. (The bass player is actually a jazz musician.) And of course, Robbie's open-air house on the ocean with Diamond Head in the background is the perfect venue. See you at the next one. And I'll call you when I have a smaller, more ecclectic session; I understand you play some jazz and rock too?
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  10:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Great bass available for serious player looking for a used but almost new bass in hawaii. check out the classified section. neck thru body construction!!!! great piece of wood.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000