Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Homemade ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  02:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Has anyone here built a ukulele from a kit? I was looking at the website of Hanalima 'ia (www.hanalima.com) and they sell koa and mahogany uke kits in various sizes. I know mine would turn out looking like a cub scout project, but it's intriguing. I would be interested in any feedback. It's a long winter in the Northwest, and a uke might help me muddle through.
Jesse Tinsley

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Don't know if this might help, but I met Rigk, of RISA Music, at the Uke Expo and he was working on a CD about making ukuleles. I see that it's on his website, URL below: (scroll down to "The Homemade Ukulele Project")

http://www.risa-music.de/English/Products/Accessories/accessories.html

I know he's a really nice guy and would probably be able to tell you if this CD would help you in crafting your first homemade uke. There's also been some discussion in the recent past at the FleaMarket Music site about building your own uke.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I built a soprano ukulele from scratch. It's not that different from building a Hana Lima 'Ia kit except I sourced all the materials myself. It was fun and interesting. Here's my webpage with some pictures and information about the building process:
http://www.rahul.net/gaa/Uke/

Hana Lima's $80 Tenor Uke kit look pretty basic. They've cut the wood to size but, unlike some guitar kits I've seen, they haven't bent the sides or shaped the neck, etc. It is a convenient way to get almost all the pieces you need to build a uke. In terms of price it is about what you'd spend buying the pieces individually.

You'll have to make a moderate investment in guitar building/woodworking tools in order to bend the sides, thickness the top and back, shape the neck, fret the fingerboard, etc. This is either a problem or an advantage depending on your perspective :^). You can easily spend many hundreds of dollars on tools. In addition to the materials they supply, you'll also need to spend money on finishing supplies - lacquer, grain filler, sandpaper, etc.

Stewart-MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/) is a pretty good mail order place for instrument building supplies. You can a free catalog from them and price out some of the tools and materials you'll need.

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 09/28/2003 5:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tom B.
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile
I am also thinking about building my first uke. There is a book out that explains the process, step by step. I just purchased it, so I can't review it yet. But it looks pretty comprehensive, with lots of pictures. It definitely helps to have some basic woodworking tools and skills. The process calls for a number of custom jigs for you to build, but the book explains these, and they look pretty straightforward. The book is called "The Ukulele: How to build this instrument." You can find it at www.theukulele.com. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  12:07:56 AM  Show Profile
I was judging a contest this past weekend. (ukulele)
And saw this uke on display. The shape was the same as any other one except, where you would have an EQ on your instrument? maybe an inch further up, is where the hole was.

This ukulele maker just open almost a year now. He builds it in a litle shop. He's been studying the craftsmenship of ukulele's for awhile and came up with his theory of the uke.

Never met him before but, just wanted to say, look for this ukulele that is already out. Played it and it sounded great. The name of the ukulele is called, "Devine Ukulele's" keep an eye out for this one.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  02:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi, Kevin,
I saw a Devine ukulele on Ebay. The listing said he's new and that he's running a few out to see if anyone will bite. I think he was asking $849. But what a funny-kine sound hole arrangement it had. The sound hole appears to be on the side of the upper bout, with a decorative silhouette cutout on the soundboard. Check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561346799&category=16224
I appreciate the tips, Gary, and my only big question is about bending the sides. Hanalima sells heating blankets for about $85 to wrap them in, but I wondered if you would still have to steam or at least soak the pieces first. I assume that you would have to create a silhouette jig to help shape them (along with requisite clamps and blocking) and perhaps avoid the assymetry of your handmade soprano.
Now I have to talk my wife into it.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  4:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Jesse,

Here is a link to a great site, giving a general overview of ukulele building. I've referenced the page talking about side bending, and while viewing you are serenaded with the wonderful stylings of young Ikaika Brown. Certainly you will need more detail than this site provides, and the recommended book and cd above might be the ticket. I'm wondering if that book discusses selection of tone wood.

http://makeaukulele.tripod.com/page5.htm

I was a killer cub scout, and had arrowheads extending below my belt!! I'm also a semi-decent and careful woodoworker, but this didn't keep me from savaging an OM guitar building project a couple years ago. The spruce top suffered a nasty ding, and a tragic mistake when routing the rosette. I intended to locate more spruce, but so far the project is gathering dust. Now I'm the shame of the den, and flunking the guitar building arrowhead so far. But, on the bright side, my sides bent perfectly.

You will probably want to make a body mold. You should probably use 3/4' composition board or a good plywood, because they will remain directionally stable. You should take care to make the mold perfectly flat with perpendicular sideds. If you have access to a well set up bandsaw ... piece of cake.

For bending, I did soak the mahogany sides in water for half an hour. I made a clever bending iron from instructions from a guitar building book. The bending iron is just a 12" length of 2 1/2" ID aluminum pipe (1/8" wall). It's positioned horizontally in a vice, with a porpane torch directed inside the pipe. The torch lies on an inverted egg carton. The pipe gets plenty hot, and the sides you are bending should be continually dampened with a sponge. The resultant steam makes bending very easy.

I like the look of Hana Lima, and wish I could take their course. Now I'm interested in the tenor kit and plans. My expectation is that a hand built tenor will be very satisfying.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I bought one of Eric Devine's ukes off eBay, although not one of the Kasha designs with the soundhole on the side. The whole concept of the Kasha design is fascinating and it applies to guitars as well. If you get a chance, read this:

http://www.jthbass.com/kasha.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
I am also preparing to build my first tenor ukulele and purchased the book that Tom B. is referring to. I have read it and it is sufficient to guide in the construction process and is worth having. There are a few spots that the author could have went into a little more detail but all in all it is pretty good. I am also reading "Guitar Making - Tradition and Technology" by William Cumpiano and Jonathan Natelson. This book is great and provides additional details that will help in the construction of your uke.
Good luck with your project.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I started this thread and I have finally ordered a uke kit from www.hanalima.com. I'll try and post updates when/if there's any progress or success.
I tried the website for the uke building book mentioned by Tom B. (www.theukulele.com), but it seems to be down. If anyone else can get to the site, I'd appreciate a link update.
I'm looking forward to a box o' wood in the mail!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  01:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Try this Jesse:
You'll certainly need more than a box 'o wood!

http://theukulele.com/
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo, Kawika! I ordered the book today. I know that the investment in the wood will be dwarfed by the investment in specialty tools and in the time to build jigs. But it will all pay off, hopefully, with an affordable and playable instrument. Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  01:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Plus once you've built the first one, the rest will be a lot less expensive!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  12:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just recently received the book on ukulele building by Denis Gilbert (see the link in Kawika's post above), and its very clear and concise with lots of photos. For those thinking of building ukes, there are six or seven essential jigs to build and a handful of tools you'll need to acquire or build before tackling the project. But Gilbert's book shows you how to make each one, and the progression and techniques are fairly universal to other types of stringed instruments. It does seem like a slightly different assembly schedule than other plans I've seen, but the result is the same.
My kit, from www.hanalima.com, is very complete, leaving only glue, wood finishes, tuners and strings to be purchased later.
Now I have to start building side molds, the side alignment jig, the clamping jig, the soundboard alignment jig, the brace clamping jig, the bottom clamping jig....
Wish me luck.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Hapakid, I spent two weeks summer before last with Mike Chock at Hana Lima taking the condensed summer course. What a great time!! I learned so much from him. Since then I've mad twelve tenors on my own. If you've got questions about anything, email me. I'd be glad to help. It is so fun building!! I'll send some pics of what I've made. Koa...Koa/spruce...mango...palo escrito/red cedar mostly.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  01:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha uke folks,
Well, I have my uke kit from www.hanalima.com, and I have bought Denis Gilbert's book ($25) on uke building as well as the comprehensive guitar building book by Cumpiano and Natelson (Amazon, $25). I wanted to update anyone who is thinking of building, too.
Gilbert's book is excellent and has good photos. It is a truly step-by-step guide to building a basic ukulele. It doesn't show optional things like different bridge styles, inlays, bindings, purflings, 6- or 8-string modifications, sound hole variations, bracing plans or multiple head/heel block configurations. Also, it doesn't include any plans, so you'll need to supply your own and see if they will work with Gilbert's construction methods.
The Cumpiano guitar building book is a large textbook that discusses everything from special tools to wood characteristics and guitar history. It's impressive, but it may make your head hurt to try and take it all in just so you can prepare to build a uke. But it's an excellent book to have on hand.
The Hanalima 'Ia kit I bought is the basic mahogany kit ($80), which will allow you to build a very simple uke, minus tuners and strings. The upside is that it includes every piece of wood you'll need, plus the nut/saddle blanks, fret wire, kerfed lining (top and bottom)and plans. The neck blank provided is only a little over two inches wide, so there is no allowance for a wide v-shaped headstock like a Kamaka. Small complaint. Because the kit is mahogany, the final instrument won't be very interesting to look at. But it's okay for beginner.
Final thoughts, after looking at the kit and the books. I've concluded that it's important to have a band saw and a belt sander to do the project. A great woodworker can do a lot with a coping saw and sanding block, but I think it would be too much work and offer too many places to screw up some decent wood if you're not good enough.
Just a budding uke luthier,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000