Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 History Channel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile
A friend alerted me to this show coming up on the History Channel:

Conquest of Hawaii
Sunday, October 12 @ 8pm ET/PT
The Hawaiian Islands, created in a crucible of tectonic fire in the midst of a watery wilderness, were created by winds and waves. Among those who would call themselves "Hawaiian" were warrior kings, kidnapped sailors, cowboys, New England missionaries, a tragic queen, and robber barons. In this 2-hour view of watershed moments in Hawaiian history--from discovery to first contact with outsiders and the resulting clash of cultures--we review one of the most remote places on earth.  TV PG

"Crucible of tectonic fire in a watery wilderness" kinda makes my head hurt, but it might be worth checking out anyway...

Debbie

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
"Crucible of tectonic fire in a watery wilderness" could be a nice contrast to Temptation Island 3 which has been described as, "Vile, horrible, despicable, voyeuristic, trashy, disgusting, pitiful, nasty, shameless, and desperate!". Thanks for the heads up Debbie. Would have missed it otherwise. I'll check it out... now that TI3 is finished, of course...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile
I hope this is going to be better than "Noble savage or savage nobles."
But maybe I just have too pessimistic a view of our mass media.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Thanks for the tip Islandboo. Raymond, you must be referring to Sanford Dole and the boys/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to watch but caught a bit of the show while surfing the channels. A quick look up indicated a rebroadcast at midnight. Assuming I set the vcr correctly, I have it on tape. Anybody watch it yet? Was it good?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  5:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Andy, yes it was excellent. It seemed pretty accurate, and I found much of it difficult to watch. I felt the creators introduced a healthy flavor of empathy, which is appropriate. Essential viewing.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile
I thought it was quite good, although I wish it had been a bit longer - it seemed rushed in places. (Or else fewer commercials!) My mom came over and watched it with me. She fell in love with Hawai`i when she went out for my wedding (hmmm - genetic predisposition?) but was not really aware of most of the history presented in this show, so hopefully it educated a lot of people like her who are simply unaware of what has happened in the past and the impact those events continue to have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000