Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 ki ho alu teachers in WA, Seattle?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosewoodblues
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosewoodblues's Homepage  Send rosewoodblues an ICQ Message
mahalo,

are there any teachers in or around the seattle area? short and sweet...

aloha,
ken;
jus' pres

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  01:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Hi Ken,
I got this info from the Hawaii General Store the other day. It was a business card on the peg board advertising lessons.
Peter "Pekelo" Palisbo 206-764-1994 www.kikaman.com
He's advertising Hawaiian Music & Ukulele Lessons. He may know someone for you.
I live in the Bellevue area. Email me if you wish.
See ya,
Gary
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
if federal way is not too far, sheryl akaka has a class through highline comm college (federal way campus), i attended last quarter, had to pass this quarter due to work, but hopefully will go back next quarter, believe the next class starts in december, if your interested let me know ill get you the details..aloha, lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  3:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I can recommend Pekelo for lessons; I had one lesson with him in 2001 while I still lived in Oregon(he travels with his job).
We worked on Green-Rose Hula. He uses handouts/tab and watch/listen too, of course.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

rosewoodblues
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  1:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosewoodblues's Homepage  Send rosewoodblues an ICQ Message
thanks all i will check in with Pekelo! maybe he can help a Haole out yeah!

ken;
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  11:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
pekelo posted here yesterday 2x. One was a test and one his real message. I accidently deleted the wrong one! Sorry Pekelo.

The gist of his post was to check his website http://www.kikaman.com because it was about to be updated with his workshop info. As of today, it appears to be.

Sorry about my mess up. Hopefully, Pekelo will post again soon.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  9:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Eh Andy!

Shame on you! ha! ha! I just now came by for a visit (long awaited one too) I went on to check-out Pekelo's website! Was hoping to find an e-mail adress or something. The last time I crossed paths with him was that night over at "Blue Marlin Restaurant and Bar" Couple times, during our "Bailey House Museum Jam", he and I would be the last to leave! I was still a new kid on the block trying to learn Slack Key. He taught me the importance of the bass-line. I'd always be so happy to see him when we did bump into one another!

I owe him,"Bruddah Kevin", and Uncle Sol a multitude of Mahalos!!!! They were the three "Kiho'alu Masters" that I can proudly call my "Hawaiian Slack Key Kumukanes" To this day....bad shoulder and all.....I still love it. But I've been taking some pills from "Alive and Well" here on Maui. One is an Athletes joint and muscle formula that helps tissue growth and repair within the shoulder. The other is called "Zyflamend" which reduces inflamation of the muscles. Both of them are all natural origins.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm alive and well! I hope to see Keith some time during Thanksgiving Holiday! I gave him a surprise phonecall one day....Ha! ha! It was great to be talking with him! Sarah! Reid! And all my T/P Ohana! "HAPPY HOLIDAYS"!!!!!!!! Be safe this up-coming Holiday Seasons! Ross! Julie! Everybody!!!!!! Let's Jam soon okay! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  11:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, very informative thread! I wondered if Pekelo had posted here, and then I find his two threads are missing. Andy cleared up that mystery. And then Slackey Bill reports in, too! Bill, Seattle's Pekelo may not be the one you know. Around here, at least, he is more known for ukulele instruction than for ki ho`alu.

I asked him at the last SUPA (`ukulele) meeting if he ever taught slack key, and he said he was thinking of a workshop. I warned him that if he didn't post on this site, I would!

Today I got his newsletter and the workshop will be on January 11. It's a beginner's class. I'm going. Check his site for details. He's watch, listen, and record so I need to get a recorder before then.

BTW, I've heard good things about Sheryl Akaka's classes but she is at the far end of Seattle from me thru evening rush hour traffic, about as easy but less pleasant than commuting to Hawaii for lessons, so I've never gone.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

pekelo
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  11:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit pekelo's Homepage
Aloha Kakou!
For the Seattle folks - I'm putting on a Beginning level slack key workshop in Jan '04
Details are on www.kikaman.com
a hui hou,
pekelo
kikaman @ yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000