Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Out of print cass Moses &Geo Kahumoku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  11:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
Just in case you are interested, I found "Kai Malino"(The Peaceful Sea)by the Kahumoku Brothers in cassette at HulaRecords.com It is out of print, but they have it(I don't know how many)and it is only $2.99!
I can't give you a review of it, as I just received it today(a great 50th birthday present for me) and haven't listened to it yet, but it should be good. And to be able to hear some earlier(or any) music from Moses is a treat, let alone at this great price. I just saw it tonight on ebay for $9.99!
Good Luck!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 11/12/2003 11:57:08 PM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  01:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday, Barry.
Getting a guitar and starting slack key was my 50th. "change of life fling." Hope you have one as fulfilling as mine.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  3:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Hau'oli La Hanau no!, Barry.
Questions: If it becomes difficult or impossible for one to find a copy of such a gem as you have found, is it a violation of ethics for lovers of Kika Ki Ho'alu, (both players and listeners) to obtain a copy, or do we suffer in silence? Should we not spread the music as much as possible?

E malama ola ka 'Uhane o Hawaii

A hui hou
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  4:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Why don't you email George K and ask for permission to copy the tape? If there are no plans to reissue it, George may be willing and that way you don't have to worry about legalities, artists rights etc.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  11:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the birthday wishes!
I just went to Hularecords.com and searched for Kahumoku, and they still have the Kai Malino cassette listed for $2.99, so I assume they still have it. You can always order one, and then email them for a confirmation. You might ask how many they have left, and let the taropatch know what they say. Aloha

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Aloha no, Raymond and Barry.
I'll try Hularecords. I have been to George's workshops and concerts, and have asked about Moses several times. I sense a desire for privacy and am very reluctant to intrude further. Kika ki ho'alu has become my source of peace, and I thoroughly enjoy the work of several artists, especially Moses.
Mahalo nui loa!
E malama pono
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile
bluespiderweb,

Welocome to the over 50 crowd....

...did you get you AARP membership mailing yet?!

If I am not mistaken (and I could be mistaken), some of the material from "Kai Malino" was re-issued on the CD "Sweet and Sassy", along with some other stuff the Kahumoku brothers put together at about the same time. This CD is in current release and has some pretty impressive playing by Moses. The song "Kai Malino" is not on "Sweet and Sassy", however there is a nice live version of George doing it on "Footprints in the Poi" which is also in current release. "Footprints" does not have Moses, but has some impressive playing by Bob Brozman and Daniel Ho as well as George.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/15/2003 2:14:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  12:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Lawrence, I did get an AARP mailing last year, I guess they wanted to prepare me for the shock!

By the way, I checked to see if there were any repeats on the Kai Malino tape or the Sweet and Sassy CD, and there are none. This early stuff on the Kai Malino tape(I just listened to it for the first time yesterday) is not all slack key. While I listened to it, one song sounded like Kenny Rodgers(the voice too), one song reminded me of the Cowsills, another Seals and Crofts, very early 70's music. It was fun. They do get back to more traditional songs here and there; and in all, it is worth having, but more vocals than instrumentals, and about half is sung in English. To my ears, it just sounds a whole lot better in Hawaiian, even though I don't understand it. I relate more to sounds and melody than I do lyrics.
Aloha!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Ok I sit corrected.

What I do know is that they recorded the material for Sweet and Sassy and Kai Malino at about the same time and I suspected that it was with that recorder that George had gotten at the time (the one they ran with the generator in the cistern hole). I know a lot of George's stories (what with the book and lots of concerts) and I have pieced together in my mind a biography of sorts.

Just like Ozzie's first cassette release, it would be nice if someone could dig up the old Master Tapes and re-release in CD format. For Ozzie I know that is a problem due to Master Ownership issues.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/16/2003 6:28:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  7:05:22 PM  Show Profile
By thw way, Lawrence, great job on producing "Footprints in the Poi"!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000