Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  4:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, Konabob has started this with his example of and reference to a "virtual kanikapila" (see his posthere). The idea is that we choose a song that enough of us know (or could pick up quickly) and then whoever wants to records themselves playing the song and submits the recording to whoever has volunteered to be the producer. That person then creates a mix that uses bits and pieces from everyone's recording to create a finished track. Bass, lap steel, ukulele, slack key guitar, ipu, vocals, whatever are all welcome.

I've contributed to something similar on another site (not Hawaiian) and it's a blast. A rhythm track is usually done first and then used by each of the other contributors to play against so that everything syncs together.

Anybody interested?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/11/2003 6:59:28 PM

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  5:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Interesting idea,

I'd be willing to give it a try for just one song,
or maybe two. I am too short on time to do much more
than one or two songs on such a project. I have all
the equipment and computer tools needed in my studio.
My main tool (CEP 1.2a) can handle up to 128 tracks
but so far I have used only 24 or so on my projects.
CEP 2.1 can do more tracks but it is slower and less
stable on my system.

The rythym track is important and it would be best
if all the recordings were digital so there is less
drift and/or pitch shift of the tracks. Such things
can be fixed but it is tedious and the quality of the
results are not always good. The rythym track can be
emailed as mp3 perhaps and does not need to be hi-fi
(just time and pitch accurate).

The song should be a really long one so that everyone
gets to play a pa'ani. I hear that there are really
long versions of Sanoe and Salomila but we can make
a really long version of anything!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
For those of us in the mainland boondocks, a virtual kanikapila
might be the only type we get to attend. Lawrence mentioned
that we need a long song. What about recording a shorter
tune several times with variations? Is there a "standard"
song that most players are expected to know when joining a
kanikapila? Maybe this would be a good way for virtual players
to learn what to expect in a "real" kanikapala.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  10:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Craig,

Count me in on this one. Sounds like a blast. Of course, getting this group to agree on a particular song may be .... lengthy.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Somebody send me "Hawaii Aloha". This is about playing, not agreeing. Of course if you send me something else, I will agree to play that too!
-Konabob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  4:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, we seem to have two songs in the running for this: E Lili`u E (from another topic) and Hawaii Aloha. I'm guessing that E Lili`u E may be the better choice but let's put it to a vote.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile
I would go for E'liliu E as first choice, Hawaii Aloha second.

I can prepare "rhythm tracks" for both. I can take a well known version of each of these tunes and piece together several extra verses so that we have long rhythm tracks. I can then put the rhythm tracks on just the LEFT channel of an mp3 so that each person can add their stuff to the RIGHT channel. Then all there is to do is send out the rhythm files and get the returns back.

Does this sound like a plan e KonaBob??

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/11/2003 9:46:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  6:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Do it! I won't be able to get to the steel track for about 2 weeks.
Family stuff is coming up! I will keep and eye on the progress!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  7:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, let's just bite the bullet and say that we'll be doing E Lili`u E. Will anyone interested in participating in TaroPatch's first virtual kanikapila please raise your hand and then, after you realize nobody can see you, respond to this topic so everyone else knows. All contributions are welcome:

Slack key guitar
Bass
Steel string guitar
Rhythm guitar
Ukulele
Vocals
Ipu
Etc.

The only requirement is that you have the ability to record your contribution. This has the potential to be a lot of fun and has the added advantage over a live kanikapila that if you mess up your part you can play it again until you're happy with it!

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/11/2003 7:08:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  9:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Your timing is fine KonaBob. I for one do not intend to rush this thing. I only have a maximum of one hour or so per week for this project as I am doing 2 other CD projects in my spare time as well.

I will probably have the rhythm tracks done within a week. After that I will need to get addresses for all the "special guest stars" so I can send the tracks.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  8:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I would like to participate. I agree with 'not rushing' on this--I have just started to look at the tab.

Mahalos!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  11:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No rush at all...we're doing this on Hawaiian time!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  12:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Can someone lay down and post a basic reference melody line for this? There are so many 'interpretations' out there that it might be helpful to 'fix' the melody, no?

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  12:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Even though E Liliu E was one of the first slack key pieces that I learned, I do not know what the basic melody is since I have never heard it sung!

I am planning on using the recording on "Led Live" as the rhythm track since it is of moderate tempo and "reachable". I think that the melody embedded in the first verse is very close to the sung melody. I plan to repeat the middle (after the very start and before the ending section) several times to make a 7 to 10 minute version for everyone to play along with.

I will mp3 at LOW quality and with everything in the LEFT channel since this is just a rhythm track. You all will convert from mp3 to useable form in your recording systems (whatever they may be).

When all of you add your parts make sure that you keep them in the RIGHT channel and do NOT mix any of the ryhthm track (LEFT) into your performance (RIGHT). Make sure you convert back to mp3 at a HIGHER quality level (like 128Kbit or better) so the final recording will sound good. I need the returned file to have the original ryhthm track on the left and your stuff on the right so I can make sure the timing is correct by comparing the returned ryhthm track to the original. Sounds confusing but it really is not.

I am still looking for a prototype performance of Hawaii Aloha to use as a second ryhthm track for a second virtual Kani.

Any suggestions?

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/15/2003 12:25:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  01:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ron Loo sings it on his lesson tape. You can find several vocal versions at Aunty Maria's site if you do a search on the song name. For example, here's one by Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom and Willie K.:

http://64.65.106.62/v3/sbits4/1165_12.ram

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/15/2003 2:50:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  1:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou,

During a lesson I had with Ron Loo, he told me that he learned E Lili'u E from Auntie Alice Namakelua who, when a girl, sang this song for the Queen herself, and was even "corrected" by the Queen on a few points.

So to me, arrangements aside, Ron's version of the melody and words would be the definitive and authentic original-kine source material.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000