Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  11:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Craig...

Thanks for the info. I am looking at Auntie Maria's site now.

I think this is a super idea. I do not know the piece, and (being a white boy in Kalifornia).. am often confused by the Hawaiian names...call me guilty as hell, but they sometimes get confusing ie. look the same...as my grasp of the language is that of a neophyte.

That said, I wanna say that I am going to side with Sarah in her opinion that Ron Loo's version may be the way to go...if this is even the piece to be played. I have not heard the song...(actually no doubt I have, but I don't recognize the title)

The point being that folks far more experienced than me consider either the song or its particular players worthy of mention.

Thats enough for me! E Liliue E may be a fine piece. I do not know it, I don't think. I think it worthy to try based on Sarah, Craig's and Larry's opinions.

I say we ' do it up' a real TaroPatch version of something so beautiful! If it turns out to be Ron Loo's version....well, all the better.

I can add resonator, bass, and or yep...steel guitar to something.
I can also do it pretty much anytime in the next couple of months. I am busy at work, busy at home...but hey, this is TaroPatch, and fun to boot........I will find time. (no bitterness at not being at Keola and Mark's aloha camp this year, nope, not a bit)

Okay now that I'm over that. Looks like folks need to agree on a song or two to try.

Your thoughts?

(Andy, I managed yet another stellar typing session without the use of a single 'emoticon' :) )

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  01:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Is there any consensus on the tempo for E Lili'u E? I noticed the Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom version is about 180 bpm while the Ledward version is closer to 120 bpm:
http://64.65.106.62/v3/sbits4/95_07.ram

I prefer the slower tempo (but don't count my vote since I haven't committed to participating in this yet).

Gary
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  04:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm not sure how you're counting tempo but the Led Live version at your link is 96 bpm (as is another version I have by Yameen Fong). Led's studio version (on his Lima Wela LP) is 110 bpm and the version he teaches on video is 82 bpm so even he is all over the place as far as tempo is concerned. Amy's version sounds fast because the bass is playing on the upbeat AND the downbeat but it's at 82 bpm by my count. Finally, Ron Loo's version (with vocal accompaniment) is 76 bpm.

In order to allow as many people to participate as possible, I would vote for a slower tempo, somewhere close to 80. (Not everyone is going to be able to play it at the faster tempos, especially since several people have indicated that they're learning it just for this.) Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/17/2003 04:44:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  12:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Craig, I think that the historic usage and character of the song supports your contention: it was usually slow and lyrical. Ron got his version (and some special lyrics) from Auntie Alice, who sang it for Queen Lili`u and, once, in turn, the Queen sang a variant verse for Auntie Alice. It seems as if Ron's version is of direct lineage from the source(s). I vote for 76 bpm. This is not the kind of song that you want to jazz up; it is a song of reverent praise, and justification of Lili`u's position as ruler.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/17/2003 12:02:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile

OK.. I have spliced together several sets of verses of the Led Live version of E'Lili E. As was discused above this is one of the slower versions (but not the slowest). I do not have Ron Loo's version available to make a rhythm track from. I also noticed from other threads that most people have learned or are learning Led's version. I have filtered and added a little noise (to make it less attractive for use on file exchange sites) moved it all over to the left channel and converted to low quality mp3-pro. It makes a perfectly useable rhythm track and is about 7 minutes long.

So those of you who want to play along, post here and then make sure to send me your email address (or make sure it is listed in the profile) and I will send you this file. Add your stuff to the RIGHT channel (and do NOT mix it with the existing left channel), convert back to mp3 (at some better quality setting than I used), and then send the file back.

So how do we determine who "takes a break" and on on which verse??

We do not want to all be doing our best licks at the same spot, do we?

I assume everyone will play along through the whole piece but will want to be featured by "taking a break". So do we assign a whole verse to each persons primary break? I think there are not enough verses for everyone to play their "primary break" for a whole verse, even with this extended version. I can make a longer version, but at some point it will become unwieldy (and quite boring), so we will probably want to break it up into smaller chunks for each person to "shine" in.

...LB

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  6:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

Neat idea. Please send me the file!

Mike
piffle @ piffle7.com

or

piffle77 @ yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  01:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Lawrence,

Sounds like a good plan. Mahalo for your skill and for taking time to do this project. My vote is to use your descretion in deciding who takes a break...

I am working on learning Ledward's tab and enjoying the learning. It is one of the first hulas I was taught.

Mahalos!

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 08/24/2003 8:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Oakey Doakey - looks like we're rollin'.

It probably would be better to click over to my taropatch profile and send me an email rather than posting your email address on this thread. This adds more security and you will get less spam.

So piffle, sir, yooze guyz might want to edit your posts and take off the email address (I have written them down).

Now back to production plans. I suggest that we do it as first come first serve (or play). So cmdrpiffle gets first choice of where he wants to take lead (pa'ani). Since you are just learning it, maybe not the first verse but the second for your lead instrument. Since you are volunteering to play several instruments, make sure each one is in a separate file in the right channel with the rhythm track on the left. That way I can make sure to mix each instrument into a different stereo location in the final mix. (Of course the bass plays all the way through and goes in the middle!) Konabob was indicating the he would play his Kona Walking-Stick Bass, so we may end up with several basses playing and that should work out fine,too.

I volunteer to take a pa'ani break in the THIRD verse, if that is OK with everyone. Since I am re-learning this I do not want to be first!

jmk - where do you want to take your pa'ani?

If necessary I can stagger the returned submissions so that the tune becomes longer and some people "come-in" later, but that will probably not be necessary till we get more than 6-8 people/instruments who want to take pa'ani breaks.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/24/2003 2:34:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good Lawrence,

The 2 addresses I listed ARE my 'spam' addresses, so that's cool.

As for the song, I've not heard it before, but can most likely pick it up by ear in a couple of hours.

I'm thinking my '32 National Style O, metal resonator guitar!!!

Ya baby!

Okay, I'm done...off to take my meds now

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  4:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Also, I do not have wideband here are home.

Maybe I should get it soon, huh??

I will wait till there are a few more volunteers,

'so's I kin uploads tha thang jusafew timez' (southern speak).

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/24/2003 4:18:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  01:46:37 AM  Show Profile
OK Folks,

We are about to transmit the first ever TaroPatch Virtual Kanikapila rhythm track!! We have Six people signed up to participate so far.

Konabob - you indicated you would play with pretty much anything, don't you still want to?

Sarah & Reid - you had lots of input for the initial selection, don't you want to play along too?

The more the merrier and a longer initial list of participants means less upload time for me!

Come on, join the fun, you will become famous!.....

(NOT)

P.S.

In solidarity with cpatch I have refrained from use of emoticons, (even the cute little animated ones as they are a communist plot).

P.P.S.

"I drink only pure mineral water or distilled water and vodka."

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  10:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
If I play very poorly, can I become infamous?

One thing that was reconfirmed while on Maui last June was that my kanikapila skills are poor. Naturally the case for a mainlander who does not play with others very often. Like anything else, it is a skill that requires practice.

I'm game for virtual kanikapila. It should be fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Aloha Lawrence, very interesting slack key participation concept you have here. I would love to throw in my 2 cents. Please email me the file and I'll try to record my contribution. The problem I face and probibly many other slackers is the ability or lack of to record and send music but I'm willing to give it a try. Mahalos
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Lawrence, please add me to the send list. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to participate yet though.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence, you know me well enough to understand that I have more opinions than talent. Hence, the reluctance to step forward.

Howsomever, send us (not the royal "us", certainly) the track, please. The doing of it is much more a matter of the cumbersomeness and sheer bother of recording than anything else. Even following simple directions, such as keeping to one track, is annoyingly gadget prone (not anything to do with the notion, of course, but the primitiveness of the technology and my hate of lousy human factors in gadget design).

This aside, we (I) will really try.

I will send my email address.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000