Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  12:59:38 AM  Show Profile
VIRTUAL KANI CONTINUES! !

The file has been sent to the first volunteers.

Please contribute your Body Parts....

ooops... I mean performances by sending back mp3
files with your Right Channel performances.

Any tech problems will be sorted out by the now
cult-famous Buttle-Tuttle conundrum wherein the
protagonist suffers a fatal 1984 plot resolution.

OK - I plead temporary insanity caused by too much
"Python" exposure.

WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS ! !

(quit shouting brah)

...El Lorenzo de indefatigible

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Mahalos for the music file Lawrence. I have something to record but at the moment I can't record something. I have a new laptop, software, sound card and microphone but same old brain.
At the moment, I'm trying to digest the "Sonar" software manual which for me is like playing the bagpipes. I'll keep trying though. Thanks again for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Well, when you are ready for some steel, send it on over to me!
I also play slack key bass (strange but true) if you want I can add that too.
-Aloha,
Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile
KonaBob,

Click on my profile and then click to send me an email
and send me your email address so I can send you the file.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  01:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Lawrence, I haven't heard anyone sign up for the vocals. Will Cynthia sing for us??? Aloha, Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  02:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha El Lorenzo,

The sound file arrived. Excellent work. If no one has signed up for ukulele, I may attempt an uk verse in addition to the guitar.

Mahalo for your good work.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  9:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Houston, we have a problem.

I forgot to check what Key Led was playing in for his version of E Liliu'E.

Another astute member was wondering what key it was so I went back and checked. Led is playing in C Maunaloa tuning and he is tuned a bit high (3%). I assume he is also playing in the Key of C. For those of us who learned this thing in G, we may have to Capo on the fifth fret (and also tune up a little) if we want to play with this version. I have corrected the pitch of Leds stuff to concert C (shifted down 2.94%) and can re-send the file if needed.

I have also dug up Ron Loo's version off of his FIRST slack key lession book tape. This version is in G (but Ron is off a little too - which I have corrected) and the rhythm is quite a bit different.

Led's version has more "swing".

So here is the choice (Gee... this is turning out just like a real Kanikapila), shall we stay with Key of C, or switch to Key of G?? If we switch to G I can slow Led's version down a lot or I can use Ron's.

What say you all??

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  03:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
During a lesson I had with Ron Loo, he told me that he learned E Lili'u E from Auntie Alice Namakelua who, when a girl, sang this song for the Queen herself, and was even "corrected" by the Queen on a few points.
I vote for Ron's for a number of reasons:

1. As Sarah pointed out earlier in this topic (see quote above), this version is truer to its roots.
2. It would be nice not to have to capo.
3. It's an easier version to learn for those who have to.
4. It lends itself better to decoration.
5. It's better suited for vocals.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Craig.

And, don't forget reason number 6:

6: If it is not in G, I can't do it.

and,

7: Led's version in the tab is in G. At least, it is when I play it from Led's tab.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  5:50:42 PM  Show Profile
"OK - Houston... we have fit the square carbon filter into the round hole" (as before, a quote from Apollo 13)

Due to astute observation on the part of BreezePlease, (he probably actually tried to play along), it was discovered that the rhythm track for Liliu'E is actually in the key of B-flat. I have adjusted it to the key of G and the new file has been sent. I also sent Ron Loo's version in G as well.

So now we have two version's in G: Led's and Ron's. Everyone try playing along to both and then indicate which you would like most to be the "Main da-kine Kani". It is possible that we could put together two versions so try to play along with both if you can (OR IF YOU DARE!)

I have extended Ron's version from the orignal two verses to TWELVE. For Ron's version I suggest that we reserve the first and last verses for singing and have a VERY LONG PA'ANI in between. I volunteer to take the THIRD verse (second pa'ani from the vocal) as my Pa'ani in Ron's version. Sarah and Cynthia would make good candidates for the sung verses.

P.S. Ron's version is somewhat distorted. This is as it was from the cassette tape, no can fix.

P.P.S. Reid... you gatta learn to use tha Capo brah. It's easy just let it (the Capo) press....

...Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/07/2003 5:59:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Salaam El Awrence,

Please enlighten this unworthy cur for whom recording is a mystery among mysteries.

Effendi, do you mean that if I want to record verse 6, I let the first 5 bass line verses (of the 12 you provided)pass, and, then, record unto the 6th? And, assuming I get it upon the 1st take (most unlikely, O Lord of The High Trees (west side)) then I email back to you *all* the 11 empty shell verses with my unworthy effort in the 6th? And, if I fall into unforgiveable error, which is most likely (approaching probability 1.0) what do I erase - or do I do something semi-smart, like make a backup copy of the empty 12 verses and keep trying to record into a new copy?

Or, as the permutations increase unto the 12th Factorial Heaven, do I simply record and send you one verse, which you then, with angelic accomplishment worthy of Gabriel, paste on to other more wonderful submissions?

Or...?

Peace be upon your head, I am, most humbly,

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 09/08/2003 4:04:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  4:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Another question: Lawrence, are you going to include Ron's version in the final mix or pull it out? I'm assuming the latter...that we're only using it for timing.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  12:45:15 AM  Show Profile
Salaam Alakeum,

Oh ye of little faith!

Thou shalt not bespeak pavarications upon my countenance!

Veritas I say unto thee...

...is a wall street company.

Reid- I expected everyone to play all the way through with the rhythm track, just let us know what verse you want to be "featured" on and I will bring you up in the mix at that point. This will be like the "we are the world" recording. So you will send me back a file with your playing all the way through. Likewise for each and every other instrument, a seperate file for each.

Cpatch- Yes- Ron's stuff is ONLY a rhythm track. You put your stuff into the RIGHT channel only. I will use Ron's stuff in the left channel to sync your returned file with all the others. DO NOT MIX ANY OF RON'S STUFF INTO YOUR RIGHT CHANNEL! This will keep it out of the mix. We do not want any copyright violations here, so Ron's stuff will be kept out of the final mix. I think I am within the "fair use" provisions to use the modified material just for a rhythm track sent to a very select group as has just been done.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/09/2003 1:15:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

I know I am probably too dense, but this is just for confirmation. Forgive me.

So, I play Ron's standard version for 11 of the 12 verses and then, for one verse, say, the 2nd verse, I do my variation of his tune. Right? So, all of us are kind of a chorus behind the person doing the variation for a particular verse. Then you, through some science indistinguishable from magic, make the person doing the variation on a particular verse louder and more audible.

If this is correct, is it possible do slight, non-obnoxious variations in the verses we are not featured (in which)?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes Reid, I think you got it!

This is the concept that I think everyone wants. Just like a real kanikapila we will all be playing in the background, while the lead will be passed from one to another. Since we are not actually together to nod at each other or call to each other for lead passing, then it would be better of we choose which verse each will take lead ahead of time. In the meantime everyone is doing theme and variations in the background (like Led does... in our dreams that is)

P.S. Your Salaam post above had me laughing for a good 15 minutes!!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000