Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Since we are not actually together to nod at each other or call to each other for lead passing, then it would be better of we choose which verse each will take lead ahead of time. In the meantime everyone is doing theme and variations in the background (like Led does... in our dreams that is)
Okay, I'm starting to get it now. My observations/questions:
1) We have two mp3 versions to choose from
2) How many players do we have?
3) When is the due date for our submission?

Planning discussion thus far applies to Ron Loo's arrangement, correct?

First and last verse are for vocals. Lawrence has verse 3. So do we just start picking (verse) numbers? For me, how about numbero dos, Sr. Lorenzo? ¿Quién es más macho?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Si Bueno,

Right now we have about twelve player's including two bass players and two steel players and at least one uke. No vocalists have volunteered yet but I think we will have some.

As far as what pa'ani break you have, verse numerous dos is fine, you can be all the macho you want (be all that you can be, in the A....)

So, at this point, leads for verses 1,2,3 and the last are taken.

(Assuming we find a vocalist for the first and last verses.)

SO FOLKS:

"get in line now... you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss six bucks goodbye!"

Don't be the last to sign up!

The early bird gets the verse!

the others get the wurst..... knackwurst, bratwurst, whatever!

Let the slick end slide and the rough end glide!

Take is easy, but take it greasy!

As far as deadlines, right now there are no deadlines, I will put together a mix after I have received enough submissions (say six). I will add others as they arrive. We can publish several intermediate versions, maybe on that site where we have been posting. It may increase the excitement level if people can hear what is developing.

Everyone be patient, this thing may take a while.

We can dump the original rhythm track as soon as I have someone (like a bass player and slide.. hint, hint) who can do the thing all the way through. This can become the new rhythm track for any future volunteers.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/09/2003 10:28:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  11:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I may try vocals. You may not want to use them, but I may try them.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

Remember to send the vocal track as a seperate file from any instrument track you send. All instruments (including voice) must be separate files with the performance in the right channel and the rhythm track in the left channel. If you mix instument and vocal together before sending the file(s) then it will be very hard to manipulate in the final mix.

Which gives me an idea: Anyone who wants to REALLY STAND OUT in the final mix just send me $1000 and I will boost you another 10db!!

(or not)

Seriously, after we have collected sufficient tracks I am willing to send anyone all the tracks on CD (by snail mail) and they can make their own mix if they have the tools. In fact we could do this whole thing with CD tracks mailed around the group and the quality would be a little better (assuming everyone has a CD burner by now).

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Larry, Dammit!, Craig is making threats about singing again.

If Craig sings, then I'm gonna play the ukelele...
And that is surely a threat.

Reid, you spoke for a lot of us here...

So, we're playing in the background of someone elses'
lead?

I am a little confuseddddd here. I like Ron Loo or whoever... but why do we have to play after him.

We've some wonderful guitarists on this site.
We can lay down our own version, and then add.

Just a thought.... feel free to tell me to pound sand.
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  03:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
<ignoring Piff's insults> Ron's only there for timing...you can play whatever you want. Why are we using him? Because his performance is there already and we now have something to play or SING against, thank you very much.

Pounding your ukulele against the sand might be a good idea.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Like Cpatch said.... your most pifflelanimous sir.

It is just a rhythm track. I could have sent out 8 minutes of metronome, but it is easier to keep in sync if you can hear the verses and turn-arounds without counting. Also, some have learned from Ron's version and can play it best, others, like me, have learned Led's (which is why I sent out Led's, too). Those who have learned Led's will probably find it easy to fit into Ron's rhythm, Led just has a "few more notes" per phrase. And also as I said, you can send back your performance against Led or against Ron, both Led and Ron will be deleted in the mix.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/10/2003 12:44:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  1:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Lawrence, are the two versions timed to match each other?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  12:34:24 AM  Show Profile
No - I did not synchronize the two verison's (Led and Ron). That is technically possible but it would take way too much time. What I meant above is that if I get submissions using the Led Rhythm track I will combine them with other submissions played against the Led track.

So there will be two effective Kanikapila, a battle of the bands so to speak. I will attempt to play against BOTH. I invite others to play against whichever one they want to (or also both). We will post both versions to the web if there are enough players (say more than three for each).

How does that sound??

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  01:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and ask everyone to play using the same rhythm track: Ron's (for reasons given previously). The Led players should be able to play against it without any problem (it is, after all, the same song).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  02:45:36 AM  Show Profile

Auwe! I'm getting a headache.......not sure I understand all this techno stuff (we artists are often technologically challenged), but would like to sign on for an 'ukulele verse. . . mebbe sing softly....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:46:48 PM  Show Profile
Remember Cathe, that your uke and the guitar are technological devices.

After all they are only a couple of hundred years old and are far, far more advanced than the first technological devices (fire and clothing and most importantly.... beer)!

Let's try to play against the Ron Loo track first. If you want to do more than one instrument (like uke and vocal) remember to send back a seperate file for each.

Also everyone should post here what verse they want to take "lead" for so we all know which verses are taken.

Also Rossasaurus and other new volunteers, you need to click on my profile and send me an email with your email address so I can send you the rhythm track.

Also, remember to record with HEADPHONES so that the rhythm track sent to your ears does not "bleed" into your performance mike.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/11/2003 11:49:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  02:45:24 AM  Show Profile
"So, at this point, leads for verses 1,2,3 and the last are taken."

I volunteer for verse 4 and may also do an uk track (no featured verse on that PLEASE!).

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 09/12/2003 02:49:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

Just assign me a verse: it is getting to complicated to figure out who has which.

Also, assign Sarah a vocal verse and, if it is OK, a verse so that she can pa`ani, too. Because, as is customary, she will play only a very simple backing guitar part when she sings (actually, with all us hacks playing at the same time, it will be hard to hear her backing guitar part). It would be very good if her 2 verses were consecutive.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  01:14:10 AM  Show Profile
OK - now is the time for the conductor

(Lorenzo de P.D.Q. Bach) to speak:

Let there be verses assigned (for the Ron Rhythm Track):

Note that 1) I moved to a different verse to balance things out.
2) I added one more singing verse in the middle because
the single pa'ani was just too long.

Verse - Lead Part

1) Vocal - Cynthia
2) Guitar? - Admin
3) Instrument - Need an Uke Volunteer here
4) Instrument? - JMK (slide would be good here)
5) Guitar - Reid
6) Vocal Sarah
7) Guitar - Sarah
8) Uke - Cynthia
9) Guitar - Lawrence
10) Instrument? - No Volunteer (another good place for slide)
11) Vocal - Everyone who wants to sing
12) Instrument free-for-all (all instruments play hard here)
(remember to do a LONG fade at the end
- count slowly to fifteen before making ANY noise at the end)

Remember - those of you who are doing BOTH a vocal AND an instrument need to send me TWO separate files back, one with just the instrument on the right and rhythm on the left and ANOTHER with just the vocal on the right and rhythm on the left. The mix will not work very well if you pre-mix you vocal and instrument. This is standard multi-tracking practice (which is what we are doing here).

Some of you UKE Kanes and Wahines need to sign up for verses too!!

The Bass Players play all the way through, but yooze may also want to take a break, yah?

We need the slide players to sign up for open slots above too!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/13/2003 01:18:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000