Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  01:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Having technical difficulties....I realize this is an impossible question to submit...how can anyone know where I'm going wrong without seeing it? I am using GoldWave sound editor, player, recorder, and converter, along with Multiquence multitrack multimedia processor. Today I tried recording on the right side (yes, I had headphones on) while listening to the rythym track. Using GoldWave sound editor, I got the message "can't record and play at the same time". So I recorded on Multiquence (new file while playing the rythym track on headphones) and I ended up with a new recording which INCLUDES the rythym track.

I'm just wondering what kind of software people are using with Windows. I know you cannot trouble-shoot from afar, but any tips are appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  12:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Good question.

I use Cool Edit Pro which is now known as Adobe Audition.
It is a full multi-track audio software system that costs
about $300. There is also regular Cool Edit which has
free versions but I do not know if regular Cool Edit can
play and record at the same time.

You may be able to run two apps, one that is playing and
another that is recording, through the same sound interface.

Maybe some other folks can give some hints here too.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/15/2003 12:06:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
El Awrence,

Another technical question, if you please.

Your MP3 of Ron is really 2 channel (stereo). The Left channel is Ron doing the song and the Right is a flat line. I know how to record separate *tracks* Mono and then mix them into Stereo, but I don't know how to record over that flat-line right channel. I have looked through both Cool Edit and N-Track Help Files and they say nothing about it. Can you enlighten me, please.

Also, a general comment. I had not listened to Ron's tape in over a year and, to my vast surprise, it sounds severely slow :-). I know, I know, I was all for the original, and I think I still am. I suggest the slow (beats per minute) tempo might actually allow me to do it OK, but it will require adjustment on the part of everyone. It also might encourage some pa`ani to be in "double time" (lots more notes) or allow people to put in more ornamentation, which is all to the good.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile
jmk,

Given that your sound card can hack duplex, and most can, it is a software problem. I know that N-track can play and record simultaneously without bleeding. It is about $30- $40. You can also download Cool Edit 2000 (a non-supported version and only partially disabled) as a 30 day free trial. I am pretty sure that can do what you want with that, too.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  4:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Reid - just convert the file I sent to MONO. This should be easy to do with most of these audio programs. You want to keep a copy of the original file as backup in case you have to start over.

And yes, Ron's Lesson Tape version is quite slow.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/15/2003 4:41:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I plan to playback the mp3 (through headphones) and then record using my minidisc player. Finally, I'll use CoolEdit to format the recording to send Larry.

Should my instrumental only track be in stereo or mono? Is an mp3 via email good or should I burn a .wav to a CD and use snailmail? In the returned sound file, I do not need to keep the original Ron Loo track, right?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  6:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Reid,
FYI.... Cool Edit 2000 is no longer available and supported. It was replaced by Adobe Audition which is a rename of Cool Edit Pro which retailed for 299.00. Adobe Systems acquired software rights to COOL EDIT and renamed the product..

If you are a current user of the Cool Edit 2000 you can upgrade to Adobe Audition for 99.00...

Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:27:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I plan to playback the mp3 (through headphones) and then record using my minidisc player. Finally, I'll use CoolEdit to format the recording to send Larry.

Should my instrumental only track be in stereo or mono? Is an mp3 via email good or should I burn a .wav to a CD and use snailmail? In the returned sound file, I do not need to keep the original Ron Loo track, right?

As usual, Andy, you have interesting and thought provoking questions.

If you want to use your minidisc to help with the multitracking problem (i.e. to play and record at the same time), here is what I suggest.

1) Playback the rhythm track and record it to minidisc.
2) Play back the minidisc into your headphones while recording the live track to computer into the right channel only.
2a) It would be VERY good if you could also take some of the left channel of the minidisc and feed it to the left channel of the recording (so I get the rhythm track back in the left channel).
3) If you cannot do 2A above then just send back the track you played WITHOUT the rhythm track on the left.

Here is the reasoning on this approach:

A) Your minidisc plays and records at the same speed (governed by a crystal within the machine). If you record off you computer into the minidisc and then play back off the same minidisc unit the speed will be EXACT (at least if the temperature does not change much).
B) When you record while listening to the minidisc you will then be playing at the EXACT tempo required and all I will have to do is sync you up at the beginning of the whole recording (easy to do).

Other Folks TAKE NOTE - this is a reasonable way to proceed if you do NOT have true multitrack software.

Comprende mas Muchacho?

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Virtual kanikapila es muy loco. Jus' press... your guitar keys, your minidisc, your computer. Will try.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lawrence.

However, I have just discovered something that needs some care.

I started out this morning playing along with Ron's tape, as practice. First, I found out that my tuner's calibration was not at 440, so I was sharp. Recalibrated and retuned.

Then, as I played with Ron, it was evident that *his tape* was not the same as 440. I *think* (because I haven't yet tested it with my tuner) that the tape is slightly flat. So is the mp3 file, since it came off the tape (as I played along with *it*).

Now, if his channel is erased during final mix/master, this is not a problem, *IF* all the rest of us are in tune with one another.

Moral #1. Don't tune your guitar so that you sound good playing along with Ron. We all have to be in tune or we are going to sound like the "Toy Orchestra of the Damned" (to steal a Tom Waits line).

Next observation: My variation sounds perfectly fine when he only plays the guitar part (as he does before he starts singing). When he sings, the whole thing sounds awful. I think that is because he has arranged this (and other songs) to accompany the sung melody properly.

Moral #2: During vocal verses, the guitar background has to be either 1. very quiet and unobtrusive (which I am sure you can do Lawrence), or 2. the same as Ron's, as written, or 3. arranged to go well with it.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

The pitch of Ron's tape that I transferred into the computer was indeed wrong. I corrected the pitch very carefully using the FFT analyser in Cool Edit Pro and my tuner. It should be exactly right for most of Ron's BASS strings, some of his other strings may be off slightly. (I do not think HE tuned perfectly or his instrument had some intonation problems).

Did you play the file directly out of the computer while playing along, or did you xfer to another device (like Andy)?

Does anyone else think the pitch is off??

I will triple check the pitch correction (I already double checked it)

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  1:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Lawrwence, I think you are right about the correction - I did play against your file. The bass indeed sounds right. I also think the trebles are off, though, and the high pitches dominate my ears. I guess my point is that everyone should tune to A 440 hz. After all, at Waihe`e , at a real kanikapila, the first thing that everybody did was tune to everyone else. The only thing we can do is use an electronic tuner individually.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  1:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Milikona,

You are correct about Cool Edit being transformed, but the Web is a strange place. There are still things living out there. Two days ago, I did a Google search and got lots of current hits on CE 2K download sites. The one I used was:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2920,00.asp
I got the eval copy from there. Google will also find other sites you can use, if, and when, that site is cleaned up.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  2:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
What a tangled web I weave when I practice to record...Thanks for the opportunity to participate in the virtual kanikapila but I just can't get my set-up to record properly at the moment so I have decided to sit this one out. I use or I am trying to use a Hitachi Laptop computer with Sonic software, a Shure microphone with phantom power and a digigram vxpocket v2 soundcard. I can record but the sound is very soft. I'll keep trying. Alohas ,have fun and keep up the good work people...
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  8:09:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mainkaukau

What a tangled web I weave when I practice to record...

Don't you mean "What a tangled web I weave when FIRST I practice to record"?
(or were you just trying to deceive!)

So..... just keep "practicing", we have lots of time. You can send in something a month or two from now and I will still add it to the mix. If all the verses are taken I can extend the recording a little and add a new one, or if you instrument fits with another, we can make a duet on some verse or other.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/16/2003 8:10:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000