Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Virtual Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  3:00:05 PM  Show Profile

So how is everyone doing?

The rhythm tracks have been out for a couple of weeks now
so someone should have an accompanyment by now.

Or is everyone having recording problems etc.?

I myself am practicing but cannot play the whole thing yet.
Seems I had forgotten the physical memory of the fingerings
I had worked out 12 years ago for Led's version, but I'm
workin' on it!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lawrence,

It's 'going' as such.

I am sure I speak for more than a few when I say I am having...

a. computer problems (my laptop is evil)
b. understanding x-actly what I'm supposed to
be doing
c. Trying to learn the piece, so as not to em bare ass
my self when I submit something.
d. Getting on to TaroPatch dot net...sometimes I cannot get
on Andy's server for a couple of days at a time.

Those are my excuses...fact is between work, play, just generally screwing around, 'cause I excell at that!, I hav'nt put forth the necessary time to get someting done. But it's coming, I swear...the check is in the mail!

still here in spite of the lack of response,

I am,
The Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  6:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lawrence,

My progress (or lack of):

I downloaded the sample Cool Edit, but I find you can't save anything with the free copy. I thought about buying it, but we're currently trying to decide on a 4 track digital recorder and buying the Cool Edit may be redundant.

At this point, I'm planning to try to use the GoldWave for recording while listening to a taped copy of the rythym track. This may not work--I'm thinking the RPMs of the tape recorder may be slightly different?

I have been playing the song each day. I must admit, when I heard there was no time pressure, the virtual kanikapila slid to the back burner...

Glad you brought up the subject.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  6:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I have listened to the track and played along with it very briefly. I just need to find time to record it. I have been pretty swamped with "real" work and then still trying to do Taropatch stuff: have some CD reviews, updating the site to incorporate the new logo (you guys remember that?), and mailing out buttons.

Seems like I am not alone in taking care of other responsibilities at this moment. It should not take too long to lay down a track. I will get it done soon.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  7:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Howzit guys,

Virtual...you guys are amazing. Nice to know you are all 'doing it'. Keep up the good work. My grandfather is the composer of E Liliu E, John 'Puni' Kauli'a. He married my grandma Ruth Kealiiokekai, sister of Alfred Alohikea.

Right on gang...as Led would say: ' keep on pressing !!!!'

www.kaulia.com

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:19:46 AM  Show Profile
Aloha E Don - Pehea Oe?

I want to thank you again for your most gracious invitation for Cynthia and I to play with you at the Blue Marlin. We are curious as to how you are doing at your new digs in Kona. Is everything going OK and do you have a regular gig going?

If you want to play along on your folks tune, I can send you the rhythm track and you can add your stuff. We would, of course, be very flattered to have you join our jam!!

Since it is your family's song - do you know if it is still copyrighted? It would be nice to release this "jam" into the public domain, but we do not want to violate any copyrights. The plan is to post the mp3 of the mix to some small time public music site, like the hawaiian one that Andy posted to.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  10:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Larry,

Aloha to you and Cynthia.

Hey, you need to count me out of this project to add to the song.

I simply cannot log onto Taropatch anymore. That you are reading this is the result of my 5th attempt. I don't know if it is a server issue or my settings on my computer, but it is always a 3 or 4 minute attempt to log on. When I am able to get to the site, I rarely can get past the homepage.

This happens from my work computer as well, and it is on a T3 connection.

If yer able or willing, contact me at my website, or email. I think I got a pretty good addition on my resophonic National!

Thanks again,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Commander piffle sir,

You can just email me the file with your performance.
You have my email address from when I mailed you the
rhythm track. Just mail the file back there.

I will contact you by email since you have trouble
getting to this site. It will be interesting to
hear your contribution.

...Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, I emailed piffle regarding the access problems. I have been contacted by email by one other person reporting something similar. I'm still collecting information to try to figure out the problem.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  9:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Howzit Lokahi,
Sorry for the delay in my reply.
Actually, I'm doing excellent. I took on my day job career and moved the entire family to the Big Island. Everything is okay and so is the family. For me, it's a blessing. I have made new friends and been recording with a fan that I met two years ago at the Kona Style Slack Key Festivals. We are in the studio on the weekends. I made some more friends with Omi & Sonny Lim. We're doing a recording and performing project together. So the move for me in my career as a Superintendent and as a Entertainment was a blessing in disguise.
Take care and keep in touch.
www.kaulia.com

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile
So how is everyone doing with their Virtual Kani at this point?

(I have yet to receive any recordings back across the net.)

Did we select the wrong tune? Technical problems?

I know some of the voluteers can do this song in their sleep,
so playing is not a problem for at least half of the group!

...Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  12:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lawrence,

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Glad I'm not the only one on a "unique" schedule. I should have something soon.

Anybody else still planning to lay down a track?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  7:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lawrence,

My status on Lili U: Time to work on it has been short. I've been attending Slack Key Institute classes in Waimea (Ledward Kaapana, Jeff Peterson and Dennis & David Kamakahi--wonderful!). Also I was preparing intensly for hula competition which was just held yesterday. I can play the song, however....I broke my middle fingernail and playing with fingerpicks is a learning curve for me. By the time I get up to speed on that my fingernail will have regrown???

Anyway, if you want to go on without me, I won't be offended. I'll keep working on it, just in case I can get it on a track by the time everyone else is ready.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  9:01:49 PM  Show Profile
jmk, since there are no submissions I would not worry about being left behind just yet! Keep working on it and send it in as soon as you can.

Andy, you may end up being the FIRST to submit!

I am surprised that folks like KonaBob, who was "hot to trot" on this idea, have not submitted anything yet. KonaBob was going to submit Bass and also Slide which, by themselves, would make a good replacement rhythm track. What say you KonaBob??

Reid seems to have backed out due to hand injury. Sarah and Reid were influential in the selection of this particular tune (and the particular version of it to use) so I would think that at least one of them would submit something.

How about it Sarah? We know you can play this thing!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile
El Awrence,

Sarah's problem is also me (no smiley). My computer (with which we record), as well as my hands, is screwed up. I had embarked on a program of converting irreplaceable VHS tapes (all instructional) to DVD. But, it turned out that some Dell hardware and software I installed is not compatible with my OS (Win Me), but only with XP. So, during finding this out over a week (Dell told me *nada*, and I am well and truly honked off), most of my machine (software, drivers, etc.) got toasted. So, I have to upgrade to XP, which is *very* involved and I won't do it until I understand exactly what I must do. That will take about 2 weeks, XP upgrade will take another week or two, with reinstalling all my software, mistakes, bugs, etc. So, just about the only things that work are OE and IE, right now (and typing this is a serious literal pain).

And...ummm... you should email KonaBob directly to find out his status.

I am truly sorry, you can't believe how bad I feel about not being able to plunk a guitar - and it will probably be a few months before I can even think about it. Even normal activities, like using a screwdriver or chopping food, make my hands and fingers worse.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000