Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani - Steve Sano "Remembrance"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  3:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Last night we attended a magnificent "coming out" concert for Ozzie and Steve's new CD "Remembrance," and here are some of my thoughts:

The first half of last evening’s concert by Steve Sano and Ozzie Kotani consisted of more “traditional” Hawaiian music. Steve led off with a set with solid slack key arrangements very reminiscent of modern choral music – no surprise since he is director of choral programs at Stanford. Ozzie’s set was more traditional slack key – but …. I’ve heard Ozzie in concert a few times, and I’ve never heard as deep an emotion come through as yesterday. (Most of his set was dedicated to the memory of two friends, one who just recently passed on.) On a technical side, I'm always amazed how these two musicians solidly attack complicated chords, more moving quickly from one challenging position to another with solid "right on" hits of the chords, yet make it all sound so very nahenahe. Superb technique!

But the second half was one of those concert going moments that you’re lucky to get once a year, if that. Ozzie and Steve played a long set of duet arrangements from their just released CD of Japanese and Okinawan songs called, “Remembrance.” (Album liner notes explain the logic behind this project.)

At times harmonizing together, at other times taking turns supporting each other’s lead –. This was not “I’ll play rhythm while you take the lead, then we’ll switch,” playing. They were fully realized and fully integrated duets. Ozzie and Steve played in a way that only true soul-friends can, as if one soul were playing through two bodies. At times their playing was reminiscent of the koto, a kind of Japanese harp, without self-consciously trying to imitate it. Often their playing approaching wabi sabi, the all important Japanese aesthetic principle underlying that people’s greatest art – the exquisiteness of beauty within the evanescence of the moment, of life itself.

This is music played by masters of one tradition who bring their art with respect to another tradition and in the process enrich not only both traditions but also everyone fortunate enough to hear their work.

I'll probably review their CD in the "recordings" section in a day or so.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

Edited by - RJS on 11/16/2003 4:42:16 PM

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  6:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
I second whatever Raymond said and would only add that it was truely beautiful music. A memorable experience. Sulle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000