Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 He Mele Aloha: a Hawaiian Songbook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  10:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou!

I just received this book in the mail today, and decided to jump online and rave about it. The introduction states that it "is a collection of over 260 songs...about 40 of which are hapa-haole songs."
"He Mele Aloha: A Hawaiian Songbook is intended to encourage the tradition of kanikapila. The lyrics are large for easy reading. Chording is designed for the beginning and intermediate `ukulele player. The emphasis is on accurate Hawaiian lyrics and translation.
Melody and phrasing are not provided - you must know the song to sing it. Most of these songs have been recorded, and one purpose of this book is to encourage support of Hawai`i's composers and entertainers.
Translations in this book favor a less than literal approach, as the translator [Puakea Nogelmeier] tried to capture not only the specifics of the language but the essence of the song".
Part of the proceeds of this book and any profits will go to the Lunalilo Home.

This book is a fabulous resource for me as a beginning uke player far away from Hawai`i. Each song has the relevant chord diagrams at the top of the page, and there is tons of space for scrawling notes.

I got it online from Booklines Hawai`i (www.booklines.com). There's still time to get word to Santa...

Me ke aloha,

Debbie B

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  04:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Hiya Boo!!!!
Thanks so much for the info, I got right online and ordered two books, one for myself and one as a gift. Have been meaning to mail you the photos I have of you on stage with your ukulele, singing and having a wonderful time.
One of these days I'll actually do it. Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  2:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all!

Mahalo for da info! I got online also and purchased two books (same reason as Julie's). Nice to see Kimo putting out a book.

Aloha from the big island of Kaleponi,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

Barry Steelman
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Got mine for a Birthday present. Haven't found a flaw yet. Like all "fake books" it relies on a good grounding in the material. But we shuold all have that anyway. I like the translation style, realy gets the feeling. My one and only gripe is that Gabbys version of "Ku'u Pua Lei Mokihana" is not there. I had the privilage of seeing the Makaha Sons and Melveen Leed do this live at a shopping center parking lot in Kialua town on the Big Island in July. They do it slower, and with Melveens vocals its a heart tearing ballad.

Barry

"why a Tiple? Ten strings man, sounds like a ukulele choir"
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  12:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I just saw the song book today and I think it's wonderful. Easy to understand, very informative and good selection of songs. All it needs is a companion CD of the songs. Well done. Happy Christmas taropatchers!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  7:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
This is an OOOOOOLD thread, but I just got this book and it's really awesome. I had to wait for mine because I was told by www.booklineshawaii.com that it's the first of a second printing.
The book looks similar to the pages most of us have printed off of www.huapala.org, but nicely laid out with chords, mostly key of C or F, in the lyrics. It's nice to know that Puakea Nogelmeier and others have looked over the lyrics/kaona/history to help correct mistakes.
The songs are in alphabetical order with alternates song titles in the table of contents. Although there are more than 250 songs, like all songbooks, some of your favorites are missing and some seemingly obscure tunes are represented. But if you thought that all island artists record the same 50-100 tunes, here's proof that there are a lot more. I would hope the originators might go back and see if there isn't another couple hundred songs to do a Volume 2.
As an average Hawaiian music fanatic, I've heard about 3/4ths of the songs before. If you haven't heard that many or you don't remember tunes very well, it'll send you diving into your record collection to find the melodies and examples of how the lyrics are phrased.
Maika'i No!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  07:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Yo Jesse,

Check this out:

http://mele.home.att.net/

Don't know if it's been posted here before, but ran across this googling for some lyrics. Might be of help jogging your memory.

This will take you directly to the "He Mele" stuff:

http://mele.home.att.net/list_HeMele_KeKu.htm

-dean

Edited by - BreezePlease on 01/08/2005 6:46:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Barry:

Teresa Bright's 1994 CD includes that slow, heartfelt version of "Ku`u Pua Lei Mokihana"...wonder what Gabby would think?

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/23.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000