Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack in Kauai (and Florida??)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey all, GREAT board!!!

I'm going to Kauai (Princeville on the North Shore) from 12/13-23 this year and was wondering where some good places to hear slack key guitar are. Any info....heck, any info about Kauai at all would be greatly appreciated!!

On a semi-related note: any Slack players in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami)?? That's where I am. I'm a fledgling Slack player, but I've played fingerstyle guitar (bostly Blues/Ragtime) for about 15 years or so. Let me know!

Thanks in advance. Again, I really am inspired by the spirit and enthusiasm of all the participants here....it's a refreshing change from some other guitar-related sites on the 'net.!

Aloha!

Dan

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  11:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Check through old posts - in particular:
click

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  11:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I know Florida is big and I do not know where people are located. You might try emailing:

Andy
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  9:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Aloha, Dan --

I'm alive and well and living in Boca Raton. I guess I'd grade myself as a wannabe intermediate slack key player. Drop an email after the holidays when you get back, and let's see what we can get going in the Humid State :}

Thanks for the plug, Andy ...

Richard
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  10:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Doug and Sandy McMasters do a Slack gig at the Hanalei rec center on Friday (I think) and Sunday ($10 and worth it). They also do a free sunset kanikapila every day (almost) at the Hanalei pier. (Dusty, correct me if I'm wrong on this). Very local and fun. There's a music store in Hanalei; check there for details.

If you'd like to see some other Hawaiian music, check out Leilani Bond at the Hyatt in Poipu. She's a friend and one of my favorites. Plays almost every night (6-8) in the lounge. It's not slack, but it's free and it's a great setting, although you have to travel to the S. shore to see her. Tues and Sat she brings her halau (she's a kumu hula) and the kids dance. That's also a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  10:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dan,

A follow up to my last post. I'm a Kaua`i regular and I know a little about the island; a lot about the South shore (Poipu). In particular, if you're into hiking or running, I've been on many of the trails all over the island. I also know a lot of inexpensive places to eat (most of them are quite good). Send me email (tbe @ sandag.org) if you want some input about activities or whatever. Also, wdf (Dusty Foster) is a Kaua'i regular and actually knows the North Shore better than I. He's also a very good slack key player and knows the players on Kaua`i.
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  02:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Aloha!
Yes, we do a show on Fridays at 4pm and Sundays at 3pm at the Hanalei Family Community Center. You can get the details of the shows at http://www.hawaiianslackkeyguitar.com or call us in Princeville after arrival 826-1469 [We play only traditional style slack key guitar and ukulele.] $10 ($8 over 50 and under 18).

Our sunset serenades are nightly at the Hanalei Pavilion Beach Park. (If you get to the pier, you've gone too far... its the park before). We used to be able to kanikapila but had to stop due to some folks who were disruptive. We still serenade the sunset though and anyone is welcome to stop by. It's unofficial and informal.

Also on the north shore... Cindy Combs plays her jazz stylings with some slack key at Hanalei Bay Resort (check with the hotel for times)... and also there's a guy named Pancho that we heard is playing at Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea (Sundays/Mondays 6:30p) We haven't heard him play so can't give you an idea of the style.

South shore has Hal Kinnaman but we heard he's mainly doing weddings and such these days. He's listed in the phone book under Slack Key Productions so give him a call when you get here and see what's happening down that way if you're going to be there. He also teaches. Sometimes his student Paul Togioka also does gigs on the south shore. Paul's playing style is more contemporary (little alternating bass). Hal is old style but different rhythm style.

Also read in the newspaper that Matt Swalinkovich is playing at the Craft Fair in Kapaa on Sat 12/13. They didn't list the time in the paper this weekend but probably will during the week. The fair is held in the big beach park across from Bubba Burgers in Kapaa.

Thank you for supporting slack key! Hope to see you while you're here.
Aloha and a hui hou,
Sandy & Doug McMaster
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  02:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Also, I don't know where he's playing lately but if you like steel guitar, Ken Emerson plays here on the north shore.

Go to Top of Page

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Cool! Thanks everyone for the advice/tips!

Sandy & Doug: Your sunset concerts have come highly recommended by a lot people (and at least one guidebook). I think the park is just a stone's throw from where we're staying, so we'll definitely make it.

Richard: I'll send you an email when I return (after 1/1/04). We live in Hollywood, so Boca's not a bad drive...or we could meet in the middle somewhere.

Chunky: I'll send you an email later today re: trails and restaurants in Kauai.

Mahalo, all!!!

Dan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000