Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: HCF new hula class schedule
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  3:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
We at HCF hope that you all are enjoying a wonderful holiday season. Below is the new hula class schedule. Looking forward to your participation.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou (Happy New Year)!

Beginning Hula-1
This introduction to traditional Hawaiian dance concentrates on basic hula ‘auana (modern) movements and aspects of the Hawaiian culture--language, songs, history, folklore and poetry.

Dates: Sundays, January 11– Feb 29 (8 wks)
Time: 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Location: American Indian Community House, 404 Lafayette (one block south of Astor Place)
Price: $95 HCF Member/ $110 General

Beginning Kane (men’s) Class (Please note the time & date change)
This introduction to traditional Hawaiian dance concentrates on basic hula ‘auana (modern) movements with focus on male hula.

Dates: Sundays, January 11– Feb 29 (8 wks)
Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: American Indian Community House, 404 Lafayette (one block south of Astor Place)

Beginning Hula-2
This continuation to the introduction to traditional Hawaiian dance builds on basic hula movement learned in Beginning Hula.

Dates: Tuesdays, Jan 6- Feb 24 (8 wks)
Time: 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Location: American Indian Community House , 404 Lafayette (one block south of Astor Place)

Advanced Beginning Hula
Continuation of beginning hula concentrating on basic hula ‘auana (modern) movements with the introduction of traditional ‘auana choreography.

Time: 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm

Intermediate Hula
Traditional Hawaiian intermediate dance classes concentrating on refining basic hula techniques. An emphasis on performance techniques, learning choreography, the kaona (meaning behind a song) will be discussed throughout the session. Instructor’s approval required.

Time: 8:30 pm – 9:30 pm

Hula Technique
Hula technique class refining and strengthening basic hula movement through combination work. Open to Advanced beginner and Intermediate students, or by instructor’s invitation.

Dates: Thursdays, January 8– Feb 26 (8 wks)
Time: 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm

Hula Kahiko Session
This intensive beginning session in hula kahiko and chant is conducted on an on-going basis once a month by Kumu hula June Kaililani Tanoue. Students should bring a yoga mat or blanket for the yoga session and wear comfortable clothes. Classes are open only to HCF intermediate students or by instructor’s invitation.

Dates TBD

Keiki Hula (Ages 6-12)
This introduction to traditional Hawaiian dance provides children with a foundation in basic hula movement and introduces aspects of Hawaiian culture including language, songs, storytelling, and traditional Hawaiian arts and crafts.

Please call for more information

INSTRUCTORS

Kumu Hula, June Kaililani Tanoue

Born and raised on the Hamakua (breath of the ancestors) Coast on the Big Island of Hawai`i, June studied hula with Kumu Hula Michael Pili Pang at Halau Hula Ka No`eau, and danced professionally with his performance company around the country from Honolulu to New York City. In June 2000, June was one of eight given the status of Kumu Hula, graduating through an `uniki ceremony, a hula graduation and rite of passage where knowledge is passed by the teacher to the students, and titles are earned by the students when a certain level is attained. June teaches the traditions passed onto her through her hula genealogy in the dance style of "hula ku`i", a term associated with the dance style of the late Hula Master Maiki Aiu Lake. She has also studied la'au lapa'au, Hawaiian herbal and spiritual healing.

Michelle Nalei Akina
Born and raised in Hawai`i, Michelle Akina has promoted the cultural arts of Hawai`i in the Tri-state area as a Hawaiian dance instructor, entertainer, and Hawaiian cultural educator. She has performed in concerts sponsored by New York cultural institutions including the Lincoln Center Out of Door, Museum of Natural History, Cooper-Hewitt Museum, and the World Music Institute. Taught hula from the age of four, Michelle studied in a hula halau (school) under renowned hula masters Maiki Aiu Lake and Mae Kamamalu Klein. Wishing to share her passion for the arts of Hawai`i, she co-founded the Hawai`i Cultural Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to presenting the cultural arts of Hawai`i.

Keo Woolford
Keo is a multi-disciplinary artist, born and raised in Hawai`i, who began dancing hula in high school. In 1999, he became a member of Robert Cazimero’s Halau Na Kamalei, and began performing hula professionally with The Brothers Cazimero Royal Dance Company around the United States and internationally. Between high school and Halau Na Kamalei, a music contract took him to Los Angeles, but he instead caught the acting bug. His career in theatre began in 1995 with his critically acclaimed and self-penned one-man show, He Hawai`i Au. He went on to play numerous roles in theatre and film. At the end of 1998, Keo returned home to become a member of Brownskin (Hawai`i’s equivalent to Nsync). He is also a prolific songwriter, having numerous hit songs performed both by his group and other artists, including four number 1’s. He was also a part of the Island Warriors CD, which was the first album from Hawai`i, and the United States to ever be nominated for Best Reggae Album at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards in 2002. After starring in London’s West End as the King in The King And I, Keo now continues his artistic pursuits in New York.

REGISTRATION FORM:
We strongly urge you to send in your registration & payment prior to January 6 since class size is limited.

Name:_____________________________

Address:___________________________

City:___________ State:____Zip:_______

Phone: ___________hm ___________bus

Email: _____________________________

I wish to register for:

Beginning-1 $95_____ (HCF) $110_____(Non-member)

Sundays: 8 wks 12:30 pm

Kane (men) Class $95_____ (HCF) $110_____

Sundays: 8 wks 11:00 am

Beginning-2 $95_____ (HCF) $110_____

Tuesdays: 8 wks 6:30 pm

Advanced beginner $95_____ (HCF) $110_____

Tuesdays: 8 wks 7:30 pm

Intermediate $95_____ (HCF) $110_____

Tuesdays: 8 wks 8:30 pm

Hula Technique $95_____ (HCF) $110_____

Thursdays: 8 wks 6:30 pm

Please note: If you would like to register for two classes, the fees are as follows:

______$145 (HCF)

______$170

I wish to become a member:

Membership $35____Patron $100____

Please complete the registration form and send payment to:

Hawai`i Cultural Foundation
P.O. Box 250050
New York, NY 10025

For more information
Hawai`i Cultural Foundation
Call (212) 966-3378 or email hcf @ hcfnyc.org
www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org