Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Brrrrrrrrr
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  1:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hey Andy and all you other easterners,
Watching the news this morning reminded me of why I live in California. I will not complain about this 40 degree foggy weather any more. It must be very difficult playing slack key with gloves and earmuffs on. I hope the heating oil holds out till sumer. Sulle'

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  1:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
It's all relative. Yesterday, I walked out my door for an 8am breakfast and 37 degrees fellt quite mild. Now the -3 degrees with a 15-25mph wind?!?! That, I am not looking forward to. All I can say is thank goodness for heat.

And on the bright side, the 4-6 inches of snow is very pretty.

quote:
My local forecast:
Today: Continued bitterly cold. Cloudy with gusty winds. High 16F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph.

Tonight: Mainly clear. Near record low temperatures. Wind chills may approach -25F. Low -3F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy skies with gusty winds. Cold. Wind chills may approach -25F. High 19F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Cold. Low 9F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Sunday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.

Hey Sulle - no wonder you don't live here. Try riding your bike when it's -3!!!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  4:48:07 PM  Show Profile
I once tried to take my bike out the front room window (snow level was high enough) but the stuff wasn't packed solid enough. When my parents finally found me they called the anthropologists at the Field Museum 'cause they thought they found some frozen caveman.
Raymond
FROM Chicago, now in San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  5:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Blame it all on global warming!

Wacky weather all over today...85mph winds on Oahu:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/15/hawaii.winds.ap/index.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/15/2004 5:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawtin47
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  6:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Crazy weather outside makes for perfect guitar-playing weather inside...

Marc
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  7:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha kakou,
Hey, fo'get bout dat! I'll choose Hawai'i nei anytime. I can play in 85 mph winds (if I can't carry a tune, maybe ka makani can...). K'den, who wants to buy me one ticket??

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  9:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Ok, it has been downright chilly here in Holualoa on the Big Island. I had to wear SOCKS all WEEK!
Don Kaule'a and I tried to sit on the sea wall and jam, but the waves were too big! Don says we were
getting splashed because the ocean no like you to turn your back on her.
Tomorrow I have to go down town and clean the lens off my web cam (http://www.konaweb.com)
so people can see the big waves crashing over the wall.

Well, enjoy your snow... I did my 20 years in Colorado. 90 mph wind at 10 below for weeks on end.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  10:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Are you kidding Andy? I put the bikes away when the leaves start to turn color and I can' go east till spring. Stay warm, Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  02:30:17 AM  Show Profile
oboy, Andy!
this keeps up, I'm gonna knit you some gloves - mebbe wit' the fingahs out so's you can play.
thinking of all you folks on the East Coast, and hoping you and your families are well and warm until this is over.
and yeppers, i'm a wuss, i'd take the strong winds of Hawai'i first any time. :::smiling sheepishly:::

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  2:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Andy my Bruddah, if you think that your weather is cold, remember that you live in the middle of Asphalt Central and have lots of residual heat. It has been -5F to -10F regularly here in *Coastal* CT at 9:00AM with the sun out; about -15F in the middle of the night with winds, too. And, if you had to shovel it, as Sarah and I did (twice each) you wouldn't think the snow was so pretty.

Friends in VT are about -25/30

[OT: the font appearing in this message I am writing looks like Times Roman. I rebuilt my machine with XP SP1.2a, so maybe there is some funny default I gotta work on.]

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  4:55:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Wacky weather all over today...85mph winds on Oahu:

Not just on Oahu. It was pretty wild here on Kauai. Ironwoods uprooted roofs blown off!!
However back to normal now.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha 'auinala
Cold is relative. If your heart is warm, it doesn't matter. We just got back from 3 weeks on the Big Island. It rained on the Hilo side for 2 weeks; had to cancel my third trip up Mauna Loa, but I hiked 7 miles every day in the rain, including a 17 mile round trip into Pu'u O'o in less than 5 hours. It rained for 3 days in Captain Cook where our house had no insulation nor heat. Didn't stop us from doing anything we had planned. We came back to northern Utah covered with over 2 feet of snow, fog and -20 degrees. I composed a kika ki ho'alu piece about whales and dolphins at Ho'okena that keeps me warm.

A hui hou
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  8:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Go figure. We just returned from two weeks (3 days on the Big Island ) - the rest on Kaua`i and VERY LITTLE rain. The temps were in the high 70's and occasionally low 80's with quite low humidity. It seemed like it was about to change on Sunday and Monday.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000