Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Transfering old media to CD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  2:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou!

( I hope this doesn't come off as a solicitation, but I thought folks might be interested...) A while back, Stacey mentioned that she had an Auntie Alice Namakelua record transferred to CD by Sonic Transfer in Seattle. I used her favorable report as the basis for my decision to send off my precious Sons of Hawai`i cassettes to be copied.

I am not an audiophile, so I can say only that they sound just as good as the original tapes to my ears, and it is so delightful to listen without the fear of the tapes being eaten by my player! Anyway, in the package containing my CDs and the original cassettes was a flyer offering 10% off of the first order for any friends to whom I recommended the service.
So, if anyone is interested, here is the offer:

"If you were pleased with your record or tape transfer, tell a friend about our service:
>Transfer of reel-to-reel, cassette, 8-track, and DAT tape
>Transfer of 33, 45, and 78 rpm records, including rare sizes and materials
>Expert sound restoration - from the basics to "industrial" strength
>Complimentary jewel case, track listing, and cover art (if supplied)
>Free consultation on "mystery recordings" - just send it to us and we'll give it a listen

They'll receive a 10% discount on their first order just by mentioning this offer".

The URL is: www.sonictransfer.com

Peace and Love,

Debbie

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  1:17:20 PM  Show Profile
I've been doing tapes they way the admirable says for a while and it works fine for me. But I'm not one of those "audiophile" fanatics. (BTW, Radioshack has a pretty decent preamp for under $50.00.)

Another resource, however, is local recording studios. I called 3 in my area, and a couple in Chicago area, and most were willing to digitize an LP, run some filters and burn it for about $40.00, if you giver them a couple of days so they can fit it in when nothing else is happening. By going that route, I got a "bulk discount" in I bring in 4 or more albums - saved me some big bucks.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  1:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Admirable sez that once he finishes his cassettes that he'll buy a turntable and move on to his vinyl treasures.

I came across some info on how to do this just yesterday. I only skimmed it, so I can't offer any opinions on how well it works, but here it is for anyone who wants to try:

http://www.audiocourses.com/article109.html

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
FWIW,
I've looked into digitizing old 78 rpm records of Hawaiian music. I think the best unit for home recording of 78s is using the Vestax Handy Trax, a portable LP player that goes up to 78 rpm. You can also order a separate needle for 78 rpm grooves, which are a little different from "modern" LPs. It also has RCA plugs for output.
I haven't bought one yet because they're about $150 and I only need to do a half-dozen records, with two songs per record. But I'll get around to it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

knute
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit knute's Homepage
I take flamenco guitar lessons and the whole thing is done by ear. My teacher shows me stuff for about an hour and then he audiotapes it on cassette tape. I take it home and listen to the cassette tape and try to remember what he showed me for two weeks and then I go back for more. Its pretty masochistic but it works. I record my lesson on to my computeras an MP3 file the way admirable describes, and then I break the lesson up into parts and work on it one part at a time. I use an old Sony Walkman and plug a 1/8 inch stereo chord into the headphone jack. I am not producing high quality studio recordings but I'm not trying to. The recordings I make are good enough for what I want to do with them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000