Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 your first experience with the ukelele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  04:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
So I'm curious...

How did most of yall get into ukelele? Is it so common in Hawai'i that alot of people just pick it up at a young age? Is it easy to find fellow players there? I've only met one person in Texas who plays, and it's my friend's mom who has been all over the world. I bet there's less than 5 people in my university in the middle of the country in southeastern Texas who play.

I decided this year to start collecting and mastering unsual string instruments, and ukelele was my first choice. Next on my list are mandolin, autoharp, banjo, banjimer, and different kinds of dulcimer. I bought an Oscar Schmidt OU-2 on ebay for $45, figuring it's something cheap I can learn to play on before I buy something really nice in the future. I'm just teaching myself from the internet. So far I can play C, D, G, G7, and Em chords, and today while jacking around I figured out how to play Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

So anyhoo, I'd love to hear yalls stories!

one dirty haole

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  10:21:07 AM  Show Profile
Chango,

Yer cracking me up over here. No uke stories cause I don't actually play one. But like Craig, I've got one.

This is for bass, but just transpose for uke, guitar whatever.

G|-----------------------------------------------------------------
D|------5----------------------------------------------------------
A|-7--7---7--5--3----2---------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't understand tab, (this is tab) it's easy enough to figure out.

Everyone knows about it
From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Maybe you can learn to play "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne. It's sure to impress your fellow uke player! (Just kidding.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  1:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Chango,

Yer cracking me up over here. No uke stories cause I don't actually play one. But like Craig, I've got one.

This is for bass, but just transpose for uke, guitar whatever.

G|-----------------------------------------------------------------
D|------5----------------------------------------------------------
A|-7--7---7--5--3----2---------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't understand tab, (this is tab) it's easy enough to figure out.

Everyone knows about it
From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell

i also play bass, and for seven nation army i've been playing:

E|-9-9-12-9-7-5-3--------------------

i just did the same thing on the uke E string

but after thinking about it, i like your tab better.

one dirty haole

Edited by - Chango on 02/01/2004 2:05:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  12:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Y'all,

I got started on 'ukulele (aside from the plastic one my parents had given to me when I was around 5, probably got "el kabong'd") around 1995. My wife was in hula and one of her friends decided to have a luau for her engagement party. A bunch of the people decided that it would be fun to do a few songs as a sing-a-long. Since I was just sitting around with nothing to do at their planning sessions, I was convinced to try playing the 'uke (probably also 'cause I can sing). Well, that was the start and around 14 'ukes later, I'm still playing whereas most of the others never even played at that party.

Curtis Takahashi
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
"Your first experience with the ukulele"

That's getting a little personal, isn't it?!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  6:56:05 PM  Show Profile
I was on the Big Island vacationg and saw really cool ukes being sold in, of all places, COSTCO!!! I kid you not. I almost bought one on the spot, but decided to investigate and ended up buying a Lehua tenor in the music store in Waimea (upcountry).
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  8:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I saw the Costco ones here in California and almost bought one for my daughter. They were pretty cool looking.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  10:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Craig, What part of San Diego do you live in? I'm up in Escondido. The ukes in HI were not the cheap Pignose ones they had here, if that's what you were talking of. These were really nice laser etched G-String ukes by Derek Shimizu that sold for like $270 at Costco Kona. Shoulda got one.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  03:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ah, OK...completely different from the ones I saw. I'm in Carlsbad, BTW.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  06:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Before I was born, I heard my dad playing on a beautiful, shiny Kamaka pineapple ukulele. I finally was allowed to play it but soon after that, my sister accidently destroyed it. Thirty years later, I picked up an ukulele at a party and was stunned and amazed at the scope of this simple piece of wood and string. I was stung! And now, ten years after the party, I can't stop playing the thing... Aloha

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

hawtin47
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Since making my first trip to Hawaii in 2001, I can't get the Hawaiian music out of my head. I wanted something small and portable to lug around on trips instead of the guitar, so a couple of months ago I bought a used Uke Brand Soprano...I love it! I was sitting in the school parking lot last night waiting for my daughter's dance team practice to end, strumming away, oblivious as to what time it was. Great fun!

Marc
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Tiny Tim, 1969, The TonightShow w/Johnny Carson.

Took up guitar about then.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile
May first experience was as a little boy in Cleveland, Ohio and my cousin from Maui visited us. She danced hula beautifully and played 'ukulele for us one nigh after dinner. I was amazed and how cool it was. I still think so!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...My sister and I had a plastic ukulele with Mickey Mouse ears and a crank on the side.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  1:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Let's see...My sister and I had a plastic ukulele with Mickey Mouse ears and a crank on the side.

Dusty was the crank.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 03/07/2004 1:57:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000