Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Shouder Injuries?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  5:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
It's the least a bodhranista deserves! All the suffering us others have to go through!

I resemble that remark! But I did write a tune called "Shred the Bodhran." It's a polka, natch.

As for the holding the guitar "properly" - can't stress that one enough. I switched years ago to stave off tendonitus. However, I realize I was remiss in following my own advice to get up and stretch from time to time.

Here's a real EZ one -- and a real eye opener, too. After playing your guitar for however long you normally practice, do this. Without changing position, simply flip the guitar over and address it as if you were going to play with the other hand.

For example, if you normally play right-handed, with the guitar on your left knee, flip it over so you'd be playing it left-handed on your right knee. Don't actually play anything -- just set up your body in that position -- your head is now tilted towards your right shoulder, chances are your left shoulder is down and your right shoulder up just a hair.

Sit there for a couple of minutes... feel your spine starting to re-align and the muscles moving around?

Simple, huh? Wish I'd done more of it....

Cheers,

M
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Much good information here, a lot more technical details about the shoulder issue than I knew. These pains sound exactly like what I developed about five years ago from too much time on the computer in a bad posture. I couldn't sleep, couldn't play guitar more than 3 or 4 minutes without discomfort. My company sent me to physical therapy, where an acoustic device was used to heat the shoulder and break up the calcium or whatever. But what I really wanted to share was the exercise I learned from them, that did most of the healing and prevents recurrence. Stand in the most erect and straight posture you can, then SLOWLY bring your arms up, keeping them extended straight at the elbow. You can bring them up at the sides and/or in front of you. I also find its useful to rotate your hands to different positions when doing this. Don't raise them any higher than where you start to feel discomfort. Repeat until you can feel the warmth spreading from your shoulders. If you can easily do this, start using small weights, but never more than you can easily lift. The key is to move slowly and let the muscular tension get that circulation going. This strenghtens the shoulder and back muscles at the same time. You want to repeat this exercise often, especially between sets if you are doing a gig.

Good Luck

doug
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  11:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Doug,

That sounds a lot like a Northern Wu style Taiji Form posture called "Embrace Tiger, Return to the Mountain". My physical terrorist suggested Taiji as a general therapy after my spine operation and it has improved my strength, balance and flexibility. Taiji operates mostly on the lower and central parts of your body, especially legs, trunk (including back) and shoulders/arms. What it doesn't do much for is neck and wrists/hands. In fact one motion, called "Hook Hand" (part of "Single Whip")accentuates my wrist/hand tendonitis - so I modify it. However, for working out shoulder problems, it is swell.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  3:33:45 PM  Show Profile
WOW!...Sick as this may sound...misery loves company...glad to hear others have bummer shoulders too!...just kidding...really though, age shouldn't have anything to do with it ...but just turning 50 myself it's awfully weird that my shoulder is the worst it's ever been!..sometimes sounds like snap,crackle,pop!...all day long!...But for sure past history has alot to do with it..I was an olympic weightlifter for years...starting at 18!...I guess when your young you don't think of the wear and tear to show up later on!...My main problem now is my glucohumeral-joint...for awhile there I could only hold the guitar for no more than 10 minute periods!...well even though left handed,I still play right handed,and holding the guitar on my left thigh (classical style)and having firm lower back support,I can go at least an hour or so!...So I keep movin...lift very light weights...only use motrin or naproxen sparingly (the stuff will hurt you with long term use)..massage...stretches...vitamins, diet and supplements...all help. Oh, I'm a Registered nurse too, seen a lot of shoulder use and misuse...myself included!...Take care of all your joints...Never know how much you use them to play guitar till they start acting up!....later...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  11:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Tension in the right shoulder is a problem I've had off and on. This usually occurs while playing the accoustic. When I switch to the electric guitar (not necessarily plugged in for practice) the tension usually goes away if I haven't let it build up too much. I use a shoulder strap as I like to have the neck high, and play over the left leg. I have seen Jeff Peterson play with a cushion that is made to fit over the left leg and is custom (looking) to fit the guitar. He said it's made in Sweden and he bought it in Oahu. If I run across one, I'll buy it and give it a try.

I'm not sure if any of this helps--but at least it's sharing the misery!

Aloha!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  02:29:13 AM  Show Profile
jmk -
You can find the cushions from places which sell classical guitars. If you can't find it anywhere else, try the website for Solo Guitar (or is it Guitar Solo) in San Francisco, where I got mine. They come in two sizes based on how high you want to lift the guitar.

You know, Ozzie loves a plastic device that uses a suction cup to hold it to the guitar and you can set it at different angles. I never got used to the feel, but I use the cushion every day. Same place also sells two or three models of this kind of device.
Raymond
San Jose

Edited by - RJS on 02/10/2004 02:30:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile
There is also a device called "neckup" that consists of a leather strap and suction cup. The strap attaches to the endpin on one end and attaches to the side of the guitar via a suction cup on the other end. I bought one after seeing and trying John Keawe's. It works pretty well. http://www.neckup.com

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  10:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey folks!...just picked up a small Dynarette guitar cushion to support my classical guitar instead of using a foot stool...wow I can keep both my feet flat on the floor and this cushion holds the guitar up about 5 inches so I have a great comfortable position to play in...NO MORE SORE BACK...Those of you playing classical position should try one...I first rolled a tight towel up in a roll to simulate one , about a firm 5 inch roll,and I liked how it worked.The Dynarette is sharp...covered in a black leather like material...later...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  01:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Mark,
My two cents here, I echo Dukes remark re: Glucosamine/Chondriton/MSM. It's great stuff. It's so good, that I take it and my 26 year old quarter horse gets it too!
FWIW, I've noted that most of the folks have made germane and thoughtful comments about repetitive action during your waking hours. What about repetitive inaction during your non-waking hours? One of the most significant things that I did to relieve a bad back was to make a conscious effort to refrain from curling up immediately prior to falling asleep, thus avoiding the inevitible shortening of my hamstrings for all those hours.
So, food for thought, are you sleeping with your arm curled under you or over your head in a certain way as a matter of habit?

Malama Pono,

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000