Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 romantic song suggestion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  9:02:32 PM  Show Profile
My post was from memory, I checked the date and it is 1976 just like BreezePleaze. So, with Breeze included, we have accounted for about 4% of the production. As far as my wife's age when she bought it, I dare not comment, but you gotta know we are both young whippersnappers ! !

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  09:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

E kala mai i ko'u lohi!

About "e ku'u": e is indeed a particle indicating address, and being a particle, has no translation. However, in English, people often think of it as "O" (as in O My Beloved) or as "Hey" in more informal circumstances, since those are English ways of indicating address. E, in Hawaiian, has several other functions, one of which is as a verb "marker" —also no direct translation—whose significance varies depending on which other verb marker is (or is not) used along with it. One of the fun, and amazing, things about looking in a Hawaiian dictionary is to see the sometimes very numerous and even disparate meanings listed for some words. (Try look up "kau" )

As for "ku'u", it is a variant of the first person singular possessive ("my") but has definite connotations of affection or familiarity. So, while the direct translation is "my", the connotations, in English, are often added by inserting a word such as "beloved" or "dear" or "darling", or even "little" if you are talking about some little possession you are fond of.

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 02/13/2004 9:02:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  12:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Ah, I bow to the master! Mahalo Sarah, your explanations are so thorough yet easy to understand.

Perhaps you could work with Kaliko if he does a sequel to the Immersion CDs

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000