Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Howdy from Texas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  3:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
Howdy everyone.

I found this board googling ukelele tab. I am a sophomore at Texas A&M and bought a ukelele on impulse from ebay, but am really enthusiastic at learning it and being the ONLY ukelele player in my university. I'm so glad to find there's a whole forum of people who play. Any tips or links anyone could provide would be awesome.

one dirty haole

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  4:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Welcome to the ukulele community.
Here is one source for ukulele tabs.
www.rockslide.org/ukulele_tab.html
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  6:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome to the forum, Chango! I bet you're not the only ukulele player at Texas A&M. You just have to search them out.
I think the best way to learn is to listen to players you like and try to emulate them. Learn the basic chord progressions and you're on your way!
Don't be surprised to see people spontaneously smile or laugh when they hear you play it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  6:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Chango,

Welcome to ukedom! It's a happy state of mind. Check here, www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/state.asp?ID=44 for fellow players and uke groups in Texas. I'm not sure where the A&M is, but maybe your city is represented.

Taropatch is a great BB, and so is the BB on the link I just gave. It also has an extensive list of links. And there's the Parlor Room at www.4thpeg.com, too.

Look for performances by Shorty Long, a Texan group with Pops Bayless on ukulele. Maybe not slack key, but good.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  6:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Chango,

Welcome to the realm. I've never even played a uke, but I suppose there is hope for me yet. You've come to the best place on the net to discuss ukeleles however. There are a lot of first rate people around this site. Ask and you WILL receive, sometimes more than you probably wanted!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  10:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
hey thanks for the welcome...didn't expect that much :)

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  11:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I own a uke but can't play it...but I'm convinced the mere fact that I own one makes me cooler.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  01:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
haha that's kinda the reason i bought mine. to pick up chicks. it's worked well so far. i just sat outside one of the girls' dorms and played the 3 or 4 chords i know so far and no less than 3 girls stopped to chat :)

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  01:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
i forgot...i have 2 questions

1) what's the proper fingering for D? I can't fit my fat fingers all in that close proximity so i've been using my thumb, but it doesn't sound so great when i do that

2) what is slack key?

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:10:44 AM  Show Profile
D - put your first finger on both the first (top) string and the second string, second fret. Bend it backward a bit at the first knuckle so it clears the 4th (bottom) string. At the same time, press the 3rd string with the tip of the 2nd finger. That's how I do it, a bit opposite to other ukers.

Slack key - briefly, loosening the strings on a guitar to get an alternate tuning. Strummers shall not live by EADGBE alone. For more, go to the menu at the top of this page and click "Learn". On the new page, click "History".

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Also check here for samples of some of us playing:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=38765

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Pauline, are you counting backwards? First string is treble or bass?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Craig, I sure am.
Chango, please flip the count. 1's on the bottom, 4's on top. If you can still figure it out, you're well on your way. :~D

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I thought a D was just the first finger on the 4th (bass) string, 2nd fret and the second finger on the 2nd string, 2nd fret?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  03:34:44 AM  Show Profile
That's a D7. Also fingered as a barre at the second fret plus a leftover finger on the 3rd fret, bottom string. OK, the first string. I think.

Cool chord site: www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/index.html The only catch is to click your tuning in the lower right corner. These crazy Europeans think D-tuning should be the default, when every right thinking American knows it's C-tuning*. The best of the best use a low G, non-reentrant, on at least some of their ukuleles** which is "tenor" on this site.

*Always good for an argument even in the US.
**Always good for an all out war!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  04:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
ok here's my crappy thumb fingering...

and here's the fingering I'm doing with yalls advice.

Look ok?

one dirty haole

Edited by - Chango on 02/01/2004 04:09:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000