Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 romantic song suggestion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  11:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
so there's this chick back in dallas i really really want to impress. does anybody know of a really awesome romantic hawaiian song i could play and sing for her? it'd be nice if i could have tab, lyrics, a translation of the lyrics, and most importantly, a recording of the song so i know if i'm doin the damn thing right.

maholo!

one dirty haole

Edited by - Chango on 02/01/2004 11:36:11 PM

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  02:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You want it in Hawaiian? If not, and you have the voice for it, I'll put in a plug for Bruddah Iz's "White Sandy Beach". Song and lyrics here:

http://pgoh.free.fr/beach_hawaii.html

Tab for the intro here:

http://www.rockslide.org/ukulele_tab.html

Chords here:

http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/Songbook/Whitesandybeach.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  03:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
awesomesauce, maholo for the suggestion!

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  11:24:18 PM  Show Profile
She'll melt for "E Ku'u Morning Dew", too. Listen to a sample here, third song down, www.mele.com/v3/info/39.htm

If you like it, I can email you lyrics, English too, and chords.

BTW, that is a great site to buy Hawaiian CD's, etc. The woman who runs it posts here, Aunty Maria. She does a lot to promote Hawaiian artists. Maybe you already know about it, but I couldn't resist a chance to give her a plug.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  12:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Yup, that would have been my second suggestion.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
yeah that song sounds great. email away!

also curious as to what e ku'u means

one dirty haole

Edited by - Chango on 02/03/2004 08:22:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile
I sent an email, but I can't attach anything, so I'm waiting for your email address in response.

My understanding is that "E" means "I'm talking to you", "ku`u" means "beloved", so the song title is "Hey, beloved Morning Dew" only it's not unromantic slang since it is a proper grammatical construction. Now Sarah or one of the language experts, I'm a language ignorant, can clean this up.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I always thought it was "My Beloved Morning Dew", so I'm curious as to the "official" translation from Sarah.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/03/2004 3:12:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  2:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Until Sarah weighs in, I'll give it a shot.

Ku'u (used this way) usually indicates a possessive state: my or mine. So cpatch is mostly right. 'Beloved' can be a variety of choices: nipo, niponipo, ho'onipo, ipo, ho'oipo, (all of these can be found in songs on Dennis Kamakahi's CDs), milimili, and others. Since the song title is "E Ku'u Morning Dew", 'beloved' is not part of the title.

"E" is trickier (I find that the shorter the word, the more complicated the translations). Pauline is right - it often (roughly) translates to 'hey'. However, if used in the "e....ana" format (with words in between the 'e' and 'ana'), it indicates a future tense.

The 'official' translation (as posted at http://www.huapala.org/E_Kuu_Morning_Dew.html ) is "My Morning Dew"

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Ballad of keawaiki is a nice one guys. try it out
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  01:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Just a note of interjection about "Morning Dew"

Since we are trying to be accurate about the translation we might also want to be accurate about the song title. The song is actually named "Morning Dew" (without the E Ku'u) I have this on good authority because my wife is in possession of a copy of the original sheet music published in 1976 and signed by Eddie Kamae. He told us a few years back in Santa Cruz (when we asked him to autograph it) that they only published 50 copies of the sheet music so Cynthia was lucky to get one when it was new. Lots of folks, even some pros, have gotten the title wrong since the lyric starts with "E ku'u". The Lyrics were written by Larry Kimura and the melody is credited to Eddie (but Eddie says it was about being away from his own wife).

There are several translations and one was done by Eddie's wife and was sung in a recording put out by Jay Laram (sp), or so I am led to believe (Eddie told me). Cynthia and I try to sing the original lyrics and this English translation as well since it can be taken as Eddie's wife's answer to his own heart.

P.S. As you might have guessed, it is Cynhia's favorite song which is why I am a stickler about getting the title right.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/09/2004 8:57:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

Thanks for the information. I didn't even know who the composer was.

Only 50 copies!!! I think it is a great song; it was never reissued?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

Sarah is practicing right now (she is working up an arrangement of "Kanaloa"), so I'll butt in for her. E, in this case, is a particle denoting a person is being addressed or spoken about(as `O is a particle meaning a place name follows) and ku`u means "my', as Eric noted: "Ku`u ipo" means my darling or my beloved. The reason for these particles is that, in Hawaiian, names or descriptions don't obviously refer to a person or a place (as in English (mostly :-), for instance); they can nearly be anything, and often poetic metaphors.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  2:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,

As far as I know that sheet music was never reissued. It is written for Piano (as is common) and in C (also common for Piano). This is pehaps why the Cazimero brothers took it up so quickly since Robert? (I get their names mixed up) is an excellent piano player. The original recording did not have piano (Sons of Hawaii) and most folks want to play it on guitar anyway, so perhaps this explains the few copies published.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/08/2004 2:49:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  10:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

On "Morning Dew," my copy of the sheet music shows a copyright date of 1976 (Hawaii Sons Publishing Co.), at a price of $1.50...

It's also a piano version ("Piano Score by Paul Page"), with chords over the melody line, also in C. Title remains "Morning Dew."

I don't play (or even like) uke, but am a sucker for 'romantic songs'--here's my $.02 (not necessarily in order of preference): Ka Pilina (lyrics can be had at the Huapala site, I think--normal 3 chords); Pua Hone (same); Pili Aloha (same); E Ku'u Sweet Lei Poina'ole (same, but with 4 chords); Sweet Bye and Bye (another Dennis K. song); Waiulu (same).

Okay, nuf already...

-dean

Edited by - BreezePlease on 02/08/2004 11:11:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  3:49:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

I have this on good authority because my wife is in possession of a copy of the original sheet music published in 1969 and signed by Eddie Kamae. Cynthia was lucky to get one when it was new.

She got a new copy in 1969? She was collecting music when she was what, 9 or 10 years old? ;-)

Puna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000