Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 The new Hapa is a must see
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  6:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Just got back from the Hapa show in Maryland this weekend. The reformed group is awesome. Nathan Aweau is an incredible bass player. He does a solo on the bass (ala Victor Wooten) than almost knocked me out of my seat. Nathan's falsetto is also brilliant. Barry's slack key is virtuosic, unique, and will give you tons of ideas on how to push the limits of the instrument. Eric Gilliom (Amy Hanaiali`i's brother) plays the twelve-string. He was on Broadway for a few years (Les Mis). He's underrated. Great rhythm player, wonderful vocalist. Jackie Booth is an exceptional hula dancer, and Charles Ka`upu (chant cd release in a couple weeks) adds the usual powerful touch. Both shows had the place on their feet. They're going down the west coast in the next couple weeks, and I definitely recommend the show. I think the tickets are at hapa.com. I'm pretty sure they just added a third Irvine, CA show. They already sold out the 1,400 seat theatre twice.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile
Nathan Aweau has been "hidden" in the Don Ho shows for years and years...and his 3rd solo CD finally won him the individual acclaim he deserves (2003 Na Hoku Hanohano Award ~ Male Vocalist of the Year) for "E Apo Mai":
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2259.htm

Jackie Booth's dancing is positively ethereal...she seems to just float across the stage!

According to www.hapa.com, Grass Valley and Irvine performances are sold out, but there are still tickets available for:

February 9, 2004
Aladdin Theatre
Portland, Oregon
7:30 p.m. Monday

February 12, 2004
Great American Music Hall
San Francisco, California
8:00 p.m. Thursday

February 13, 2004
Rio Theatre
Santa Cruz, California
8:00 p.m. Friday

February 15, 2004
Ray & Joan Kroc Community Center
San Diego, California
7 p.m. Sunday

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Tula
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  12:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tula's Homepage
Mahalo for the review. The San Diego show is going FAAAAAASSSSTTT but we still have seats. Any seat is a good seat in this venue. For information go to www.tulaproductions.com.

Aloha,
Tula

Tula
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  5:37:55 PM  Show Profile
As usual, HAPA in any form, aims to please. And they were right on target in Portland, Oregon last night!

Barry Flanagan was true to form as he ripped and bent the guitar akin to someone wrestling a testosterone induced marlin, yet at times cradling and tickling it like a new born child. Having seen him on his most recent trip through Portland, I knew what to expect of his playing style. I was then prepared to catch the nuances of his chording, fingering, neck bending and plucking. WOW!! One of my favorites is always the cranking up of the 6th string towards the end of Haleakala Ku Hanohano. Oh, Yeah!

Nathan Aweau’s last name should be Awe-Wow. This guy can do it all. He floored us with his “Ki’Hoalu Bass” performance. As he says after finishing, “Okay, I’m done with my “fit’ now.” His wife claims he plays like he’s having a fit. I agree! I’ve never witnessed such Bass playing. On the twelve-string, his rendition of Akaka Falls would be worth the price of the show ticket alone. To see someone of his stature rolling out such a beautiful and fluid song, literally took my breath away. He is definitely well integrated in to what we know as The New HAPA.

Guest performer Eric Paul Gilliom (Amy’s brother) does a superb job of handling rhythm on the twelve-string, but don’t let his humble demeanor fool you. When it’s his turn to step up to the mic, he can carry his own very well. Smooth of voice and clear of strings, he performed two songs in the spotlight, “Back To Honopo” and “O Tahiti”. Both are found on his first album titled; Like Chow Fun. He brings a fresh outlook and an ever constant smile to the group.

Charles Ka’upu was in typical gracious and comedic form. He started the show chanting after a soft and mellow rendition of Charlie Chaplin’s “Smile” performed by Barry, Nathan and Eric. His humor and “Talk Story” presence was surely reaching all of the crowd. He taught, he chanted and he reached down in each of us with his resounding voice. What an asset to our Hawaiian culture.

What would Hawaiian culture be without hula? Another asset that serves all Hawaiians well, is the performing beauty of Jackie Booth. With the glide of a sea bird, gentleness of a misty waterfall and the beauty that is Hawaii, she is the essence of performance hula. Knowing this woman for 32 years might tend to make one think my opinion is biased in her favor. Trust me, she can captivate and deliver in any crowd.

Don’t wait long to get your tickets. You will not want to miss this always needed infusion of The Islands.

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  6:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Doug, will you please stop...you are killing us. Nathan was one of the few people who would talk to us in the Green Room at MACC in June (Kawika Kahiapo was another lovely guy who talked and remembered Lynette and Andy) when Sarah was prepping with Kevin and Ikaika and Joe. And then when he (Nathan) came out and did his solo, he was a blast. He is LOTS more than a backup bass player. AND then.. Barry came out and bent the neck off his Takamine, as usual, and blew another hole in its top with his pick and announced the New Hapa. And played with Nathan (and others). Seriously killer marriage. Nathan might outshine Barry, if given an opening (although that is not the Hawaiian way - the group is most important.)

Again I am filled with envy - isn't that some sort of sin? (Maybe I gotta figure out a way to move, but tough.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  6:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

I saw the late show in Seattle Sunday night and I'd like to second Doug's review and add a few comments.

First off - Great show. This is the fourth time I've seen Hapa and the first in their new configuration. They are all fantastic musicians and I think that in time they will grow into a single entity that is even tighter musically than the 'old' Hapa. There is still a certain amount of deference to Barry and although he is obviously the core they need to come together.

Second, something I had noticed in previous shows. Barry is obviously a fanatic about sound quality, bordering on obsessive. He was constantly adjusting the sound mix or sending hand signals to the engineer. When I saw him at Shipley's in Manoa many moons ago he was constantly tinkering with the sound system, but now it's getting a bit distracting.

Finally, for those in the Seattle area... If you haven't been to The Triple Door add it to your list of top-notch venues. Tiered, horseshoe-shaped booths, give it a retro-Rickey-Ricardo feel. The food is very good and reasonably priced, although the portions are a bit manini. We got there shortly before the doors opened (7:00 for the 7:30 show) and were pleasantly surprised when the Maitre'd led us to the very front row. I scored major points with my girlfriend on that.

Again, a great show.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 02/10/2004 6:43:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  10:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo to all the reviewers of the Hapa shows. I couldn't make the Seattle shows (six hours one way from my home), but I knew the next best thing was to log onto Taropatch.net and get the scoop. Thanks again...Jesse Tinsley (stuck in Idaho)
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  11:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

Sorry about that! After spending a little time with these guys, I came away even more impressed than with just the show alone.

I hope some of you that are on the fence about going to the show, will use this info to make your decision more clear. I know I'll be looking for reviews from some of you, of future shows coming my way. Just trying to keep us all connected

Chris,

I concur with your comments about Barry and his tinkering, but for me it was his pre amp and tuning keys. I can't even tell if he actually plays a whole song in one tuning. Although I did have the advantage of knowing what was coming up in any particular song and seeing if he hit is as well as in the studio.

As for the deference to Barry, I agree that there is currently still a focus on him, but believe the group as a whole is in for a change to a tighter definition of who they'll become. I saw the Mele Hula Tour when everyone seemed to pay homage to Barry. Since then, I think things have started to evolve a little away from him to where he is not so much the main focus, but part of a talented and entertaining group. With the smash success of HAPA's debut album, which Barry earned so much credit for, the songs he performed then are still very recognizable and enjoyed by the masses. Admitedly, we're still paying to hear them. For someone like me that has just about played the CD to death, I love the familiarity of the guitar solos and riffs, but am now looking for the innovations that come from a generous core of talent. The talent of Nathan has certainly raised the bar a notch or two and I am so impressed with his vocal and musical talents. If the New HAPA will continue to surprise us with releases like Waika, they will remain in the spotlight of contemporary Hawaiian music.

Mahalo for your feedback.

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.

Edited by - Douglas23d on 02/10/2004 11:55:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000