Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 least squeeky strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  12:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Can someone recommend a set of strings that squeeks the least? I've gone through D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, D'Addario EXP's, John Pearse, Elixir Nanowebs, and Elixir Polywebs. I tend to like the sound of D'Addario's better, but the Elixirs seem to squeek a little less when sliding around the guitar. Any suggestions?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You might want to try a product called Fast Fret from GHS...it's a lubricant that you wipe on the strings before playing that not only reduces squeaks but also protects the strings and helps extend their life. As far as naked strings are concerned, I've found the Elixirs to be the least squeaky.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks Craig,

I don't really care for the Fast Fret. Makes my fingers feel slippery and oily.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  8:51:00 PM  Show Profile
I frankly don't tend to be to terribly concerned about such matters. Aside from a concern that it is possible that you are bearing down too hard while changing positions (please - no 'double entendre here), a certain amount of noise from the wound strings usually found on steel string acoustics is quite common and perhaps could be regarded as part of the music.

After all, is it not too unusual on classical solo recordings to hear things like the performer breathing or for a harpsichord to hear the sound of the pedals being pressed. I am a purist in the sense that I do enjoy hearing music as one would when performed live. I would submit that with today's technology we have all become a bit too oriented toward hearing the 'ultra-clean' sound.

If you do feel that perhaps your noise level is excessive, you may wish to try drilling yourself by playing doing an over-emphasized 'pick up and slide / put it down' thing on a)two string harmonies, b) a slide on the bass strings, or c) a bar on the second fret to a bar on the 7th fret.

But really, really, the main thing (i.e. 'da main ting') is to feel that the music has a fun element. So playing clean is cool, but after all, this is folk music so the fun element must be the emphasis. Frankly folks, at times I feel that the virtuosity (sp?) aspect of ki ho'alu causes the underlying nature of the music to be put into second place.

Aloha,

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  03:52:06 AM  Show Profile
trlau:, Hey Ted, well said indeed! You are right.

I would suggest 2 things. In no particular order. 1. Technique. Now that I've said it, understand that with the best
technique in the world, squeaks are gonna happen. You can practice a piece until you play it well, without squeaks, but squeaks are caused by position changes. So practice away, and it is still going to have some squeaks. (unless you are playing everything in the first position, or the first 3 frets.)
Anyway don't sweat too much about them. Some constants are that the older and dirtier the strings...the less squeaks. Sad but true.

Number 2. As trlau said, don't worry too much about it. In the real world, it is a position change on tightly strung, round round, phosphor bronze strings....they're gonna make some noise. If you think the pros don't do it, then listen to em in concert live...they do.

The more you play a particular piece of music, the more comfortable you become with it. In time you may be able to use alternate fingerings for a certain passage, or just polish what you do now.

Either way, understand that what is not perfect, and 'squeaks' now, will only get smoother the more you do it.

Lots of guitarists use certain fingerings for certain chords and fingerings on particular songs. As you become more comfortable with a piece of music, you may find that as yet untried or unfamiliar fingerings may work faster, and better. Almost a form of improv on the fingerboard. Also known as what works.

I've learned many pieces in a certain way, that faded when I was able to know them faster as I became more familiar with the song.

In other words, how you are playing a piece now, may not be how you are playing the same notes a year from now. You become familiar with a piece or even a passage, and make happen that which works to make it sound right. It's called technique. Your own.

I hope this makes even a little sense, if not, well....ask for your money back from Andy!

Play hard and often,
Nice to see new faces on TaroPatch

Aloha to you dl584

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't have a problem with the squeaks so much as I do with the friction that causes them. I find it much easier to do clean slides with Elixirs or Fast Fret than I do with regular strings,

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile
I have found that regular Elixirs squeak less than the Nanowebs and most all other strings. Flat-wound strings are popular with Bass Guitars for bass players who slide a lot, and are probably the least squeaky of all wound strings. I have never seen a flat-wound acoustic guitar set. I would imagine that a flat-wound Elixir would be the ultimate in squeak reduction. Maybe they will appear sometime.

Technique is indeed important and I have had several lessons from some pros in ways to move while minimizing squeak.

A method that I use, and some other famous guitarists have used, is to replace the wound third string with a solid one. I use a 0.022 to .026 diameter solid string for the third and this eliminates squeaking on the first thru third strings, where I do most of my slurs. I find that my slides on the lowest two strings are less prone to squeaking so I just need to concentrate on not squeaking on the occaisional 4th slide too much.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/15/2004 1:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000