Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Love Returns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  5:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Not slack key, but a great album:

Check out Lei'ohu Ryder's newest "Love Returns, e ho'i mai ke aloha hou."
Ryder has a gorgeaous voice and wonderful musicality. I have all of her albums and they are amoung my favorites. In this latest her arrangements move a little more towards mainstream - which,I hope, attract her a wider listening/buying audience. Personally, I think the extra instrumentation adds to the songs and is well done. 9 originals, 3 covers - including a beautiful version of From a Dancer, a song bound to be known by K Reichel fans.

I don't know Ryder personally, but her spirituality and aloha just burst through these performances. It gives me a feeling not only of the presence of an artist at her prime, but also that this lady can be a real healer, 'cause these songs go straight to the heart.

Good notes -- all the lyrics and decent translations -- but for me it was really worth getting Pukui out and working through these texts - paid off tremendously in repeated listenings.

As for us slackers -- well, I'vce already figured out 2 numbers for my own playing, and will undoubtably go after a few more. In other words, a wealth of new material.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose, CA

PS, here's the only caveat that comes to mind: If you like the final song, a cover of "Songbird," by Christine McVie, check out Eva Cassidy's version on her CD "Songbird." -- I don't think any future arrangement/performance can top Eva's, although Lei'ohu's is a well done version.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For anyone who wants to listen to soundclips:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2846.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  8:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kaua,

You might be interested to know that Lei Ryder was Ikaika Brown's teacher when he was a keiki (and prodigy). We (Sarah and I) have been following her since then, and am glad that you made us aware of her new effort. I am tempted to say something sophomoric like "Wai'ehu Rules", or li' dat, but I'll restrain my more puerile instincts (which, for me, is quite difficult). Raymond's vision of her voice and persona coincides with ours.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000