Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Soprano Kamaka low g behavior modification.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  07:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Hola,
I am getting a set of Ohta San soprano with low G uke strings.
But the slot on my Kamaka soprano G is quite narrow...this new G is apparently wound--and obviously wider. I'm mildly concerned with any modification to the slot. While just a touch of light sanding to the center side of the g notch should suffice, I don't wish to harm resale or somehow impact structural integrity of the bridge.
Any thoughts, or experience with this out there?
We have some great string shops in Denver, but they don't have extensive Uke experience as a rule.
Does Kamaka have easy access to e-mail or phone help?

I was told that Kamaka would do this modification if I sent it to em...but I don't want to have the uke submitted to the shipping and extreme climate variations back and forth...this should be a minor procedure, but I'm mechanically challenged!
Gordo

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I do not think there is an active website but try here:

Kamaka Hawaii Inc.
550 South Street
Honolulu , Hawaii 96813
(808) 531-3165

info @ kamakaukulele.com

Andy
Go to Top of Page

BernieB
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Gordo, If you can find out the diameter of the string in question, it would be worth it to order from Stew-Mac or LMI (luthier supply houses) a nut file of the same diameter. It's easy to do and shouldn't be too costly. DON'T do it with sandpaper!! Bernie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
If you want an inexpensive way to enlarge a nut slot, check out Ukulele Supply of Hawai'i's cheap slotting set here:
http://ukulelesupply.tripod.com/ukulelesupplyofhawaii/id10.html
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  9:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Try the low G string without enlarging the slot. We converted Sheila's old Martin Soprano and no modification was necessary.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  03:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for great ideas...when strings arrive, I will see the diameter (Ohta San wound), and--if modification is needed--work with a local luthier to do it correctly, and minimally! Is that a Spiro Agnew word?

Does anybody else here use the low G...perhaps a preference of vocalists? Perhaps this is another topic!
Mahalo to all advisers--the check is in the mail... and further input is welcome.
Gordo
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  12:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Behavior modification complete!
A slight widening of slot was necessary, and performed by luthier in Denver. The low g sings!
The recommendation to NOT USE SANDPAPER was an important safety tip..."everyone is ignorant--just in different areas" Will Rogers (approximate quote)!

Mahalo Merry Helpsters!

P.S. "Don't cross the beams--that's bad". Bill Murray
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000