Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Sione Aleki
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adam Troy
Akahai

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  11:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Back in the early 80s prior to the advent of the compact disc, I stopped into Tower Records in Manhattan. They had two Hawaiian LPs that looked moderately interesting. But I found this Island Album in the chuck-out bin for a buck. It was pressed in New Zealand, recorded at the South Pacific Festival of the Arts in Suva, Fiji 1972. I said what the hell, give it a try. It turned out to be the finest virtuoso uke performance I have ever heard. Sione Aleki was a Tongan, and almost totally blind. He tore up a series of old standards in a manner that would have stopped Hendricks or Django in their tracks. He seemed to create endless variations with ease. And like Jimi he played it behind his back and with his teeth. I have yet to see any other reference to him. Is there any one out there who has further information? As always, thinking Palm trees. AT.

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  04:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Adam,
When I was in the Army, in '89, a Samoan friend of mine played a recording of this Tongan guy jamming the uke. I could'nt remember the name of the musician but your story rang a bell. I'm sorry, I don't have good news like I have the recording, but there is a ukulele player out now, here, that reminds me alot of that recording I heard. His name is Jake Shimabukuro. I am not too much into someone making the ukulele sound like that. I am more of the chalang-alang style. But, you might want to give him a listen. He really reminds me of that guy I heard in Germany from my friend. A hui hou...Keali'i K.
Go to Top of Page

Adam Troy
Akahai

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Dear H, I will look out for recordings by Jake S. I hope I did not present Sioni Aleki in too radical a light. He was at the same time very melodic and sweet. Thanks AT.
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  12:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Aloha brada Adam,
E kala mai...I did'nt mean to sound all punchy about Sione. To tell you the truth, I am not sure he is the musician I heard. But whomever it was, it sounded jammin'. I remember when I first heard it, being away from home and yearning for anything that sounded from back home, I was like "This guy can Jam!!!". I only meant now my taste is just chalang-alang like Aunty Genoa and Aloha Pumehana Serenaders. I just wanted to share my story with you. I do not like to knock nobody's taste, intentionally. E kala mai, again. A hui hou...Keali'i K.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/13/2004 12:48:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  02:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message

Yes, that's Sione `Aleki himself, playing his ukulele upside down with his foot at Womad 1999 in Auckland, N.Z.! Apparently you can still catch him live every Wednesday and Friday night at the International Dateline Hotel in Tonga. He also has at least one in-print recording available, on cassette, from Kiwi Pacific Records (NZ$30 or about US$20, international shipping included).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/13/2004 03:09:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Adam Troy
Akahai

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  4:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Dear Huiohana, I did not catch any weird vibe. Thanks for the consern. I love the changa-lang stuff too. Most of the stuff I like is oldtimey. I have only heard a few of Genoa Keawe's recordings and they were ancient. What would be a good CD of her more recent work? Regards, A.T.
Craig, Love the picture. Rumors of Sione's death were obviously exaggerated.(I couldn't resist that, even though its not original) A.T.
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  4:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Adam,
Unfortunatly, or maybe fortunatly, Aunty only kanikapila at the old Hawaiian Regent hotel. The latest recordings released from her is compilations and re-releases of older records. By the way, the "oldtimey" stuff is the best chalang-alang. I just love the way Aunty's strumming is so smooth and nahenahe. Even the legends, like Ho'opi'i Brothers and Kawai Cockett, are such easy on the ears a make the poke and ino taste that much better. A hui hou...Keali'i.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/21/2004 4:56:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  5:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Aunty Genoa's most recent CD was recorded and released in 1996:
"In the Hula Style"
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/742.htm

She was just featured on a TV special here -- what a joy she is! Still singing every Thursday at sunset (Marriott Waikiki Beach Hotel), still touring and performing worldwide...and always with a smile and a laugh.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile
"In the Hula Style" is good especially the kolohe "Keep your eyes on the hands" sung by her son Gary. The t.v. special still airs probably once a month, or every other, on the public access. There is also a performance with some of her ohana on the same channel. It is called "Na Mele". A hui hou, Keali'i.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/24/2004 7:05:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  10:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have another CD with an older version of "Keep Your Eyes on the Hands"...that song is hilarious!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000