Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Charango Revisited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Two weeks ago I was in Cabo San Lucas and happened across a trio playing Andean music. The female member was playing what turned out to be a charango. I had never seen one (although I find I had heard them on records, especially during the 60s) and when I got back to Huntington Beach I hit the computer to find out what it is. I did a search here and found some comments last year about charangos and I also found Bob Brozman's website has quite a bit on it, including some for sale. I emailed him and he replied quickly, giving me a price and a few very positive comments about the instrument and noting that he would be on tour until mid-May and could I wait until then if I were still interested.

He calls it a "South American Super Ukelele." The reason for this long winded intro is to find if any of you have had or know of any experiences with the charango since the thread here last year. There are a few sites with info (and sales) but I still don't know the size (is it a tenor?)and if it really can be translated into uke playing. I don't need another soprano to fumble on. The music downloads I've heard (and heard in Cabo)indicate a lack of sustain but it is indeed loud, as Bob B says.

Can anyone out there enlighten me any further?

Mahalo,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000