Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Would better strings help?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  2:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone!

We just have an inexpensive uke, a Hilo Deluxe Soprano, Model 2652 ($30). I expected the strings to go out of tune every now and then for the first few days. It's new. We just tightened the strings and they need to stretch and settle like those of a guitar. With a Korg chromatic tuner, it's not difficult retuning the uke before practice; but I do wish they'd finally stop getting out of tune every 3 days.

I happen to have received a set of La Bella Kapalua soprano strings from a friend and suspect that these are superior to the ones that the Hilo came with. Should I bother restringing the uke with them? Will it even make a difference in the sound on this beginner's uke?

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It might make it sound a little better (brighter, better sustain) but based on my admittedly limited experience they're still going to go out of tune. Nylon strings never seem to stay in tune for long. (They don't on my $350 Larrivee ukulele, even with good strings.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/01/2003 3:19:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  8:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
just a thought,your tuning machines could be slipping,such was the case on my little flea bit taro fiddle. i tightened them a bit and it helped a lot. still cant play the bugga tho....

Lee
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  9:26:19 PM  Show Profile

Staying in tune for 3 days sounds pretty good. I would think that you would want to tune each time you take out your ukeulele to play it.

My tenor Island Uke (Skip Rapozo) and my Kamaka 6 string tenor require tuning every time I play them.

quote:
Should I bother restringing the uke with them?

I'd restring it.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  12:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello Craig, kihoalukid and Dusty!

This was good info since I never had owned my own uke and never had an instrument with nylon strings. I don't believe the tuning machines are slipping (nothing that I can notice with day to day use) but it seems that having to retune is the norm.

Dusty, I'll take your advice and restring the uke. I'm sure that the La Bella strings will produce even a smidgen of a brighter tone as Craig suggests. At the very least, the Hilo will look a lot smarter with the black strings than with the original translucent ones.

Mahalo nui loa!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  1:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi hans,

i'm chiming in late, but i often have to tune my uke a few times while playing. they go out of tune.

there are some expensive strings that sound good to my ear - l'acquila and ko'olau are my favorite. the clear martin strings are pretty soft; i have to play them with a soft touch.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  2:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Keith! I had been wondering about what Kunishige meant on his "Good/Bad Points" graphic on his website. He mentions "Loose Strings".

Folks can see his amusing ukulele site here:
http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~kunisige/eukulele_f.html
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I restringed the uke just now.

What a difference.

There's a slightly brighter tone to the uke but, most importantly, the chords now sound as they should.

Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

ukester phil
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2004 :  4:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Put Aquila's on my Martin O, after about 3 weeks, it almost "never" goes out of tune. Nice Bright tone too!

Phil
Go to Top of Page

richonmaui
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  04:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit richonmaui's Homepage  Click to see richonmaui's MSN Messenger address
I have a very well made baritone uke with Gotoh tuners and Ko'olau Gold strings, and the tuning goes sideways for days after putting on new strings. After it settles down it basically gets tuned every time I play it - which is pretty much daily. Depending on temperature and who knows what other factors, I will usually retune after playing a while. Tuning an instrument goes along with playing it. If it "jumps" tune or slips, then you have a problem, but creeping out is pretty normal I would think.

I had to smile about the joyful comment above about the uke sounding better with new strings. When I had my first "serious" uke a few years ago I never changed the nylon strings for close to 2 1/2 years. I guess I thought "what the heck is there to go bad about nylon?" I mean, plastic is forever, right? I was so pleasantly surprised the first time I put new strings on. I was almost in shock at the improvement. Then I really started trying different strings of higher quality. All I can say is that strings are cheap and it's well worth experimenting to find the ones you really like.

After trying a number of brands including Aquila and Ko'olau, I settled on the Ko'olau Gold tenor set on my koa baritone. I'm still in love with the sound.

Good luck, and have fun!

Rich

--
Huli i ka nani o na mea apau!
--
HawaiianRainbow - Hawaiian Music Now in MP3Pro Stereo!
Streaming da kine in stereo since 1999!
http://www.HawaiianRainbow.com
HawaiianRainbow is an officially licensed ASACP and BMI Station

,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,<º))))><

,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>,.-*"*-.,,.-*"><((((º>
,.-*"*-.,<º))))><"*-.,,.-*"*-.,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page