Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 warm up tune
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2002 :  8:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
so, this is a posting from someone who was away for a week and just returned to his guitar and uke... what's your favorite warm-up tune? my favorite, for no good reason, is "nanea kou maka". it's such a simple tune, but you can do like uncle ray did on his recording and keep rolling from variation to variation. by the end i feel limbered up and ready for something else. a friend of mine likes "spanish fandango" for similar reasons...

aloha,
keith

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  1:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
I usually noodle around with various turn-arounds and then head into Molehu from Ozzie's book. That usually puts me in a really good frame of mind.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Chris,

That is *exactly* what I do. I won't say that "great minds think alike", because you wouldn't want to have my pitiful guitar mind. But, the vamps get you remembering what it is all about and Molehu puts most together in such a beautiful way. It is sooo Ozzie: such a simple tune in concept and so lovely in execution. I also sometimes do the Kani Ki Ho`alu theme from the same book because it gets my left hand moving back and forth from 1st to 12th fret and warms up the old bones.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  4:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha e Reid,

I guess great minds do think alike: I also usually head into Kani Ki Ho`alu after Molehu.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

Edited by - Bruddah Chrispy on 06/11/2002 16:32:18
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  04:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Usually I use Kalena Kai -- 'cause I can get into lots of variations. Sometimes I use Queen's Jubilee, especially if my mind is way out in another place or is stillthinking about work -- gets me focused and into feelings fast.
Raymond

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
chris and reid,

your comments inspired me to dig out ozzie's book (i've not really done much with it :-( and learn "molehu". what a sweet tune! i may start using it as a warmup piece too. mahalo nui loa!

keith

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  8:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Excellent comments, jwn. When I picked up my guitar today I noticed that I actually do some parrallel 6ths, turnarounds, streches and hammer/pulls before I started either Kalena Kai or Quuen's Jubillee. Amazing how easy to not even be aware of what you're actually doing!
Raymond
quote:

Good topic.

Usually, warm-up for me means stretching fingers a little by playing parallel sixths (and/or thirds) up and down the fretboard. Not only does it get the blood circulating in the arms and hands but I gain that sense of renewal with the fretboard and the strings. I do want to get my arms (muscles, tendons and ligaments) and hands (mostly ligaments) moving in "time" with my brain, but I need my brain to refocus on where my hands/fingers need to "be". (This is a quick, re-acquainting of the brain, hands, arms, fretboard, strings, location, angles, position, etc.) Gaining comfort with the instrument is the single most important process to start with.

Once I've cruised up and down the neck a few times I'll switch into a recognizable tune that requires some musical attention. It's not so much a specific song as it is something that extends the exercises above. Lately, there's been two I slide into... both are arrangements I've come up with: One, is an old Keola song, "Lei Kauna'oa" (which has a nice 5 bar stretch); Or, two, a very pretty little song from the stage production of 'Ulalena (performed at the Maui Myth and Magic Theater) called "Aurora". What I like most about playing these songs is the simple, straightforward nature of the tunes that gets mixed in with some fun syncopation.

That's my story (and I'm stickin' to it).

jwn

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

You may notice several things about Molehu that are absolutely transferrable to many other pieces. The first is the 7 (8) 9 G, the second is the 5 7 7 D7 that goes immediately, 3rd, into the 5th fret barre with a partial 5 7 D7, then the full C chord at 1 and 2, and then 2 reps of a parallel 6th run from 9/10 to 5. As a bonus, you get to do a 5th fret h/po G. The 5 7 7 D7 is a great one to use when somebody else is doing a D7 at the 1st through 4th frets, say. It is, strangely, not in most chord charts, but we saw a video, that David Lengkeek has, of Uncle Manu K. (late father of Willie K.) where Uncle Manu used that repeatedly. Actually he seemed to hang around the 5th fret as a "home base" so he could go anywhere on the fretboard quickly. The parallel 6th run is one that I saw Slackkey Bill (Hey Bill!) use repeatedly in jams at the Bailey House - it is a great vamp in the middle of the fretboard. That barre, with a flick out to the 7th fret D, with a slight variation or two, is used in other Ozzie and Keola songs in Taro Patch (Kimo Slack Key, for one).

Anyway, there are lots of reasons Molehu should be played. Most of all because it is so pretty, of course.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/13/2002 14:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Molehu also makes a great duet. Nice slow tempo so you can take your time. I have played a second part to Sarah and it sounded really nice. I played the same second part with Karen on the Big Island.

If you do not have someone to play with, play along to Ozzie's cassette/CD that accompanies his book. That is what I did, and Molehu seemed the easiest to for me to accompany.

Give it a try; it's a lot of fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  10:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
What part's that? Did you mean you play the same tune (notes) along with another picker, at the same time, or what? I'm a little confused.

Same chords but different part. After the intro, Ozzie's arrangement starts with notes in a G chord at the 1st string, 9th fret and 3rd string, 7th fret. So the second guitar part can start 1st and 2nd string at the 12th fret. That is, you play the same chords but somewhere else on the fret board. When I was in Maui and went to the Baily House jam with Uncle Sol, he told us, "when I go low, you can go high..." In this way, you can arrange a complimentary guitar part to any song, but you're adding slightly different voicings in a different octave. If I ever find the time, I should tab it out.

Molehu is a great song for doing this because of its tempo. Plus, so many beginning slack players learned this from Ozzie's book. It's simple but good... so good!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  9:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi reid,

that's a good dissection of molehu.
quote:
The 5 7 7 D7 is a great one to use when somebody else is doing a D7 at the 1st through 4th frets, say.
i just learned this D7 from my instructor a month or two ago. he showed me a tune called "ho'okipa paka" that does a turnaround with that D7. then, while i was playing, he did a more standard turnaround; you're right, the combination is sweet.

when i first tried this tune, i found it jarring starting with a classic unwind and then ending with the 7-8-9 G rather than the 0-4-5 G but it's grown on me. i especially like the way he works around the C chord, the middle voices are really nice.

andy's right, this is a sweet tune in part because it is so simple.

i guess i'll poke around some more in ozzie's book...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

Derek and I tend to play Molehu together, roughly the same notes at roughly the same time . Andy's comment got me noodling around with it last night. I'm aligning 12-12-12 with the opening 7-8-9 (G), then going to 11-10-12 to align with 5-7-7 (D7). Haven't gone much further with it, but hope to have it tabbed out this week.

Mahalo nui loa e Andy!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

dshelby
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dshelby's Homepage
Chrispy you do not give yourself enough credit.

We did doodle around on Molehu with different octives and chords 1 time. And for not knowing exactly what we were doing we did not
sound too bad.

I am judging by the fact that Pauline did not go running from the
room, with her hands over her ears, screaming enough, enough all ready.
:D

But seriously, from were I was sitting it sounded good.

aloha,
Derek
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  4:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Shhhh! I'm working on some false modesty here, brah.

BTW - Glad to see you finally join us on da board.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  4:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm working on the Molehu tab. Has anyone used software to create tab? Any suggestions?

I surfed around and found Power Tab Editor which is freeware. I'll see what can do with this tonight.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  5:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

If Powertab does it, great.

If you need a little more, try Melody Assistant. Lots of features for $15.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000