Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 As the spirit moves
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  8:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chris,

Thanks. It works nicely either way, doesn't it.

Looks like music may be useful in gardening, too. Does it soften hardpan as well?

OK, I'll stop.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow, at the moment NPR is airing a segment on musical therapy on Talk of the Nation, Science Friday. It's playing noon to 1:00, PDT, and will appear on their web site, I'm sure.

It is fascinating, covers your experiences, RJS, and has a snippet of what is known about the brain, music, effects on the immune system (!), damaged brains. Oh, and the chemical changes in the brain during moments of chicken skin!

Gotta hear some more...

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  01:09:07 AM  Show Profile
NPR show was pretty good. One of the guests wrote a book entitled "Beethoven's Anvil," (I hope I got it right. Read it some time ago.) Pretty good book book on what happens neurologically when you play/hear music. A bit speculative in a good sense, and I think consisent with other writings.

As to using slack key in music therapy: I think there's some real potential there for using slack key. My own clinical work has moved me somewhat away from doing direct therapy with individuals, although if I'm present when a client is agitated and my guitar is around, I sometimes get it out and play nahenahe -- usually to a very positively thgerapeutic effect. HOWEVER, I am a bit more interested in two (somewhat related) areas: 1)why certain types of music cause certain types of states of consciousness, if there is such a thing as "absolute music", i.e. music which always creates the same effect accross different people and cultures. Pachelbell's Kanon seems to be a candidate. Also some very interesting research done in France in last decade regarding Gregorian chant. I have a suspicion that slack key played "nahenahe" might be in similar class as Gergoprian chant. (2) The second area is how certain modes of slack key can put me in the same state of consciousness as certain types of meditation - stuff I learned mostly in the Vajrayanna traditions.
Raymond

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000