Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Loosing Your Mind
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I just returned from an intensive seminar on recent findings related to Alzheimers (DAT)(Dementia of the Alzheimers Type) and related dementias. ---
Some recent studies have yielded a very important fact -- these were well done longitudinal research projects with both statistically and clinically valid results --

Untreated high blood pressure (hypertension) in mid age (~45 - 60)is very strongly correlated with onset of DAT. In other words, untreated hypertension in mid age will increase the chances of DAT in old age -- by up to 10x. It doesn't matter which treatments are used to lower the BP.

This is a very significant finding for anyone interested in keeping cognitive functioning into old age.

Thems of you out there who are young may not appreciate the importance of this. Almost daily I work with DAT patients and families in various stages -- this is a very devastating disease. Here's a simple way to up your chances of not suffering from it.

Edited by - RJS on 04/21/2004 01:38:34 AM

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  6:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Raymond,
Thanks for sharing the medical alert. I find it hard enough to learn new stuff on guitar just with partzheimer's disease, i cannot imagine not being able to play at all, with Alzheimer's. At anything.

As an aside, I undrstand hypertension is also at the root of several other problems, among them impotence in males, and cetainly it is a precursor to heart problems. Get yourself checked, early and often. Lots of clinics do free blood pressure checks, so there is no reason not to know yours. We don't have that many slackers around and don't want to lose any of them to such a simple problem to control as this.
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  7:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Raymond a e Karl,
Ho, brahs! I got hypertension out the wazoo, family history of ATD and heart problems and a whole bunch of other stuffs. I also am beginning, as Ozzie says, a bad case of CRS-- "Can't Rmember S___". But my question is: I don't mind becoming demented, but how do I control which stuffs I forget. I mean, could I tweak it to where I can still play guitar, remember all the words, but am hopeless for filling taxes or going to the DMV. Please advise....

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, kinesthetic memory seems to last longer, so you'll probably remember how to play, but maybe not the words -- well actually, the lyrics you've learned as a kid and teen will stay around the longest - maybe well into dementia. Isn't that comforting.
As to taxes and DMV - well that typically ain't dementia -- unless you just paid your taxes, forgot it, and sent in another payment. Then, bro, you got it beyond help.

If you're serious about all those risk factors, you might want to send me a note via the link here - pending the circumstances, there may be some screening that's worth doing, and there are definiytely things you can do to help your odds.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  12:29:19 AM  Show Profile
I pushed send too early

If we were to plan and set dates and all, I'm thinking
we might even be able to get the Midwest (Indiana) chapter
of Taropatch to come too.

Just a thought.

I'm thinking Sept or Aug at the earliest. Lots of time to plan
that way.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  01:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My mind's been loose for years.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  4:44:01 PM  Show Profile
CmdrPiffle

Not sure why this post is in this thread (although perhaps I am *supposed* to be confused....), but did you happen to get the email I sent you about plotting a trek out west? In the last couple of weeks I have emailed you, Admin, Cathe and some non-taropatch.net folks and have heard nothing back from anyone. Not that the notes were particularly worth commenting on, but usually I at least get a "nice to hear from you" from *somebody*, and knowing how my email acts up sometimes, I'm just wonderin' (Spam filter stuck in reverse, all I get is junk?)

Anyhow, to take the (off-topic) theme and run with it, Labor Day sound good? Lots of time to plan; long weekend for an extra day of music, or at least recovering from late night jamming; and warm enough for those Longboards to provide maximum refreshment.... I have some mandatory weekends at work that I can't escape, but other than that I am open to suggestion as far as date goes, and I will leave location to you Left Coast folks who actually know where all those places actually are (I can find California on a map, but that's about as good as it gets). Just tell me where to fly and gimme an address to Mapquest, and I'll get there eventually.

If it sounds like this is worth planning for real, maybe we can start a new thread and let this one get back to DAT avoidance (Thanks, Raymond- it's scary stuff, and any suggestions that might help are greatly appreciated)

Love ya!

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,

Actually, yes I did get the e-mail. I got a 'dump' from
my hotmail account. Some of it was more than a month old.
I interestingly got back a 'mailer daemon' (unsuccessful)
to a letter I sent my folks in Feb. !!

Thats the first thing. The second is yesterday or the day
before I posted on this thread answering Raymond, and generally
suggesting the locals here get together sometime this summer.

That is now gone?!! or I probably deleted it when I went to
add something else?

Anyway, that post you refer was a follow on to that. I'll
try to reconstruct it when I get home.

(not implying that I had anything worthwhile to say though)

My laptop OBVIOUSLY continues to mock me

Mike CmdrPiffle Ferguson
Chief Justice
United States Supreme Court
Really, you can look it up

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  6:48:35 PM  Show Profile