Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Going to Maui!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  8:50:37 PM  Show Profile
I just booked a visit to Maui for later in the year (October). I can't wait. Any suggestions on where to hear music and/or jam with others?

Mahalo!

Mark

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  9:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha,
Bettah check for any of George Kahumoku's shows on Tuesdays at the Ritz-- best show in town! Others will have more....

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  5:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  6:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Pops,
This is a little away from kiho'alu, but just wanted to suggest to you to watch "Ulalena" at the Maui Myth theatre. It's sort of like a Polynesian broadway show. I feel that you would not be disappointed. I believe they have a website, maybe you'd like to check it out first. Have fun in Maui...Maui no ka oi!!! A hui hou, Keali'i K.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/23/2004 6:32:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  9:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi mark!

we have several maui taropatchers, including kevin brown (ohanabrown), bill pellazar (slackkey), kitty (popoki), and ed garces (edkalama). you might try contacting one of them to see if a kanikapila is in the plans for when you're there.

alas, don kaulia went off to the big island, so there's no regular slack key music outside of george kahumoku's series up in kapalua (every tuesday). george brings in some really great people. you can (very rarely) hear slack key at the hula grill or at the maui westin at ka`anapali, and at hapa's in kihei. willy k (not a slack key player, but one awesome hawaiian musician) plays at hapa's and at the blue lagoon (lahaina, thursdays) weekly (get there early!) and, every thursday from 11 to 12:30, KNUI (AM 900) broadcasts some live music from under the monkey pod tree at ka`ahumanu church in wailuku. it's a real local style concert, don't forget to bring a bento.

oh, don't forget to check http://mauitime.com/ under "da kine calendar". hey, i missed "da ukulele boyz" (regulars at the hula grill, they're a hoot. i think they're the same group who used to call themselves "TBA" :)

keali`i is right - ulalena is great. and, ikaika brown plays once a week at the royal hawaiian lu`au - he's great.

aloha, keith

Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  02:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Pops!

Been out of action for a while but no worry, I've been lurking around regularly.Hey thanks Keith for pulling me out of my hole! Haven't been going to our Saturday Waihee jams for ages either but one day I will. My Saturdays had become my busiest day of the week for some reason.
Remind us again sometime in September, our Waihee ohana would love to jam with you!
I promise I will be there.

ed

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  9:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ed, come when you can, We were just up at waihee yesterday. Keith was on Maui last week and everyone was busy at the time. But we all made it up cause, everyone went to Pauls house the next day to eat some "ono"! beef stew and played for hours. (slack key) We had a great time, so did Keith. We're planing a big get together after the Aloha Camp again at Paul's. Anyone still on Maui after June 27th is welcome to join us.

Ross was here on Maui about 3 weeks ago but it was pouring rain in waihee when he called. It's always great to get away and play the kine of music "YOU" like to play which is....... Kiho'alu.

Know matter what part of the world you come from, You are all welcome to join us in Waihee Valley.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  03:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Hee hee hee! There are slack-key pickers in Mau'i you guys never even heard of :) "Closet" slackers. Sorry, I was actually searching for Encinitas to figure out who sent me the Gary Haleamau album. How did you guys even know I WANTED ONE ??? Am I that transparent, that you can READ MY SLACK-KEY LITTLE MANA'O ??? I can't remember posting on this site about that (but at 53, there's a lot of stuff I can't remember). I found Gary, but I couldn't get my manamana wawae on any of his music. Well, whatever I "won" to get it, you all don't know how much I appreciate it.

I have found two people on here that mention Encinitas. I'm getting warm.

Me ke aloha,
Maulena
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  11:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maureen

Sorry, I was actually searching for Encinitas to figure out who sent me the Gary Haleamau album. How did you guys even know I WANTED ONE ??? Am I that transparent, that you can READ MY SLACK-KEY LITTLE MANA'O ??? I can't remember posting on this site about that (but at 53, there's a lot of stuff I can't remember).
Maureen,

I think it was just fate, meant for you, that CD. Serious. You won by random drawing and you just happened to win exactly what you were looking for. How about that?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Pops,
We just rediscovered an old friend and his new place the other day with the help of our housesitters. They went to the Blue Marlin (which should be a must on your list of places to go - call and see what nights they have slack key music). Anyway, on a Monday night Brother Francis was playing. He doesn't really play slack key, but he is a fantastic musician in so many forms of music, including Hawaiian, of course!! He and Leslie (chef) have opened a fun restaurant in Haiku near the Cannery called Hana Hou Cafe. Francis plays there every night but Monday - when he's back at the Blue Marlin. We went with our housesitters and took Uncle Sol - what a blast!! The food was wonderful, too. Heard that Kevin Brown had just discovered the place the night before. Enjoy!
Aloha, >^..^<

Edited by - Popoki on 05/24/2004 12:55:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  9:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Hana Hou Cafe, On your way to Hana, gotta stop there and taste the food. It's in Haiku, where the old cannery is.

I've heard about it from my daughter, so on my wifes b-day we finally went there. Why did it take me so long to go there, I don't know.

It is kind'a, out of the way cafe, If you like local food, you gotta stop there before leaving Maui. "Bruddah" Frances is the Man!

Have a Great Time On Maui! and ( at Hana Hou cafe!)

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2004 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Try to look up Kalani Smythe, lives near Lahaina, plays south of Kihei at a posh hotel. May be a student off the island at the moment, but he was fun to listen to and very accomodating to those wishing to hear slack key while i was there
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
Thanks to all for the pointers to slack key in Maui. We just returned and were able to link up with Kevin Brown for some great slack key and talk story. We also caught Led Kaapana and George Kahumoku at the Tuesday "Masters of Slack key" show. This show is excellent. It's in a very nice theater which probably holds about 100 people, excellent sound and very well organized. Thanks to George for creating the only ongoing slack key series on the island.

Mike Perkins
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000