Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Guitar Party (almost a kanikapila)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  2:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We're having a guitar party on Saturday, June 19, 2004, at 1 PM at our house in Walnut Creek, CA. It won't be a kanikapila, exactly, since there will be many heathens playing non-Hawaiian music, but we have room for slackers and ukers to get their own circle going.

We hope to have some luthiers as well as lots of players showing off their sweet tunes, hot licks, and favorite guitars. In the past these parties have been a great opportunity to fondle some amazing guitars, if you're inclined that way.

We'll serve drinks and snacks, so just bring yourself and your
instruments.

See some of our previous parties at

http://www.fxguidry.com/11-10-01

and

http://www.fxguidry.com/jaminjuly

Email fguidry @ yahoo.com for reservations and directions.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  7:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hey Fran, big mahalo for sharing your pics. What a wonderful collection of people and guitars. If I only had the time :o(
Alohas...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm in love with Kevin Ko's #3 and #4!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  8:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Kevin is a sweet guy, and his guitars are also charming. He plays Chet Atkins, but that just so happens to include a slack key derived piece. I think we have an mp3 of it on the tunes page.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  11:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Yep, Pu Uanu Hulu (Remembering Gabby) off Chet's Almost Alone album. The correct title is actually Pu`uanuhulu...at least that's what Gabby recorded it as...but presumably Chet opted to make the title more accessible to his fans. (The song was written by David Alapai BTW.) Chet also recorded `Opihi Moemoe as Hawaiian Slack Key on his Alone album. There are tab transcriptions of both songs floating around on the Web. Personally I think Pu`uanuhulu is absolutely beautiful and it's one I've just started working on.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  1:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Kevin Ko *is* a sweet guy and an inventive genius creating guitar components - even his guitar's braces are gorgeous. Also, just so you know, he grew up in Honolulu and, so, is not a *completely* devoted Chethead.

Say hello to him for me, and to Lance and Dawn if they attend.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Will do, Reid, Lance and Dawn are down for the trip. Kevin has already let me know he won't be able to make it.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Have fun, Fran! Hey I might be out your way in September?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  01:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Auwe! Auwe!
Oh Fran, I'm sorry I'll be missing your party. . . . sounds like very big fun. Will be thinking of y'all as I'm getting ready to participate in Uncle George's workshops on Maui... more guitar, all the time, why can't we be everywhere?

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Andy, I hope you'll give us a honk if you're out this way.

Cathe, I'm sorry to hear you're having to drag yourself off to some island <g>.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  02:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hey, what's this. Andy's coming...part-way West. Sounds like Kanikapila time. I've been thinking about a September Kani, so...let us know Andy, we'll get it going!

Fran, sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it.
Ross
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  11:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, likely will be attending a wedding either in August or September. I'm still waiting on the dates. Will let you all know.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Folks, I'm sure sorry we didn't get a ki ho`alu corner going at the party, but we had a good time anyhoo. I've put pics up at

http://www.fxguidry.com/GTG2004

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  10:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for sharing the photos Fran. Loved looking at all those beautiful guitars... and bass!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  11:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mike Doolin is really something, isn't he? That bass was pretty darned impressive for sure. Even though it wasn't slack key, I was transported when Nancy and Mike did one of their duets with Mike taking a lead on the fretless bass.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Fran,

In addition to the guitars, it was really nice to see pix of foks I know and like and haven't seen in a while - like Lance and Dawn and Harv (not since a dinner in Healdsburg a few years ago). It was also fun to put faces on people whose posts I have admired - like Norton and Sarad. Must have been fun...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000