Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Restringing a tenor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  1:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Do you whiz's out there have a good website where I can see how to properly attach the string to the bridge of a tenor `ukulele? My friend needs help and I think I can do it but...

Andy

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
David Hurd's website has quite a bit on this. It's at www.ukuleles.com.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  11:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Does it have little slits in the bridge or a tieblock like a classical guitar? David Hurd for the slits, www.frets.com for photos on tieing to a tieblock.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  11:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Sandy.

Shoot, I should have mentioned that I was looking at his site this morning and there are illustrations for stringing up a soprano. However, the concert and tenor says coming soon... I think the bridges on the soprano and those on the concert or tenor are different?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  12:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Can't speak for the tenor, but the soprano and concert I've owned are both the same as a classical guitar as shown on the frets.com site. I can't imagine the tenor would be different.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/22/2004 12:07:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  12:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

Here's a shot of the bridge of my tenor:
tenor bridge

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

ukester phil
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Check out site for great selection of stopper knots. http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/KnotPhoto%20Stopper%20Knots.html#Figure%208
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  8:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Speaking of strings, I am putting new strings on my 8-string tenor uke--I took off all the strings and now I don't know if the higher octave strings should go on closer to my head (on top of ukulele when I'm holding, it right handed)?? I talking about the double strings #3 and #4.

Mahalo for any help here.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

VegasGeorge
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  11:05:12 AM  Show Profile
On an 8 string tenor (Lili'u) the higher octave strings are number 8 and number 6. In other words, the high string is the first one you see when looking down on the instrument while playing it.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  11:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
One of our members emailed me offline a while ago and I'm finally getting around to posting it.

It's unique and looks very clean. And if it's good enough for David Hurd...
quote:
I have info on how to string a Kawika tenor. His method is unique (not in his web page) and does not involve the twisting of the strings on the bridge (most ukuleles and classical guitars), but rather a single knot that wont slip because of a "melted" ball of string at the end. Sounds wierd, but it is totally unique and fits in well with his elegant instruments. I've done it on my two Kawikas and an applause tenor...

Take a nylon string and hold it very close to a bic lighter. GO VERY SLOWLY and move the string towards the flame, too fast and clear strings will turn a bit yellow/brown. You will soon have a small ball on the end. Use this "ball" and then follow the FRETS webpage except you dont need to "wind" the strings around since the ball stops them from slipping. Frets and my picture illustrates how it is done correctly. Good luck

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000