Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 TaroPatch.net 2004 CD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  01:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, it's been long enough since the last one that I think we're ready to put together our second annual TaroPatch.net CD. I'm volunteering to put this year's together so here's how it works:

1. Record yourself playing any Hawaiian/Hawaiian-influenced slack key/guitar/ukulele/whatever song(s) you choose. Vocals are fine as long as you can sing without scaring the cat/dog/hamster/fish/neighbors. Perfection is completely optional and heartily discouraged. Aloha is required. Background sounds are fine (as long as they're not a reaction to the vocals). If you aren't set up to record then ask here...someone will most likely be able to offer advice, record it for you, or help in some other way. (You can get by with a cheap tape recorder if you have to...if worse comes to worst then play it over the phone to someone with a recorder!)

2. Send me a tape/CD/MP3/WAV/AIFF/whatever of your recording(s). If it's an obscure format check with me first but I can handle almost anything.

3. Include the following information for the liner notes with each song you submit (or send in a separate email if you like):

Name of song
Original songwriter (if known)
Your name (and taropatch.net user id)
A photo of yourself (optional but nice)
Tuning(s) used for the song
What instrument(s) you played for the song
How the song was recorded, including pickup/mic/effects used
A little about yourself, including:
- How long you've played guitar
- How long you've played slack key
- Why you picked this song to submit

4. If it's an original song, is in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder, let me know if you want me to also put the song up on the TaroPatch SoundClick page so everyone can listen to it. Otherwise it's only going to go on the CD (see below).

5. Indicate whether you would like a CD or tape of the finished product. (I've heard rumors there are still tape users out there. Sorry, no 8-track.)

6. Send US$5 to cover the material costs of your copy.

As with last year, you will only get a copy of the CD (or CDs if there are enough songs) if you contribute to it. This avoids potential copyright issues and means you're only baring your soul to those who have dared to bare theirs! If you indicate that your song can be shared with everyone (it must be an original song, be in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder), however, then it will be made available for listening and download from the TaroPatch SoundClick page in addition to appearing on the CD.

Plenty of advanced notice this year (and time to polish your chops, learn new ones, or do the 100 takes to get the one you're willing to send )...drop deadline is 8/1/04 but I will accept contributions starting immediately.

Any questions? Ask here or click on my member name to send email. Mahalo!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/04/2004 04:18:50 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  02:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful idea,
I was just talking with my wife about offering my services for a second CD, but I really am swamped with work (some job related, some self-imposed.)
Thanks for picking it up.
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  02:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Thanks for doing this Craig. If there's anything I can do to help (e.g. duplicate and distribute CDs) let me know. Submitting a tune for the last CD was a lot of fun and a really good learning experience.

For those of you that weren't around for the last CD, here are some people's comments about the last CD:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=666

Gary
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  04:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
BTW, I would strongly encourage everyone, whether or not they plan on contributing to the CD, to try recording at least one song that you've learned or are learning. It's a great educational experience and will also help force you to focus on playing the song straight through with an even tempo and without stopping and backing up to fix mistakes.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  11:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

...try recording at least one song that you've learned or are learning. It's a great educational experience...
And hear what I sound like?!?! No way!

Thanks Craig. I seem to only come up with new songs for things like this but I am so lazy. Since my inspiration only comes once every 5-10 years, maybe I will record a cover... we'll see.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  12:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
I'd like to do one this year. I need to get with you about recording. Don has a Tascam, but I can't figure out how to use it. Perhaps at next Wed M3?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sure, no problem...have him bring it. You can also download the docs for it at www.tascam.com

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
thanks for picking this up, craig!

have you decided on a deadline for submissions?

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Any time limit to the song?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  3:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Deadline for submissions is 8/1/04. No time limit to the song (within reason...no 30 minute jams!).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
great idea Craig. thanks for doing it.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Yo,

I'm in... and I think Cynthia may want to do something too.

" Deadline for submissions is 8/1/04. No time limit to the song 
(within reason...no 30 minute jams!)."

Good... Now I can include the "In a Gadda da Vida" drum solo that
I always wanted to transcribe to Marimba (less than 30 min for
sure)...

We will get right to work on this after George's Workshop.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/04/2004 10:32:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  11:21:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

Vocals are fine as long as you can sing without scaring the cat/dog/hamster/fish/neighbors. . Background sounds are fine (as long as they're not a reaction to the vocals).

Any Questions?

Yeah, if my cat screetches and it sounds like a duet, can I submit?

Looking forward to the next set of entries out of the SoundClick page, and who knows, if I can clean up my recording system I may submit something that didn't sound like it came from Freddy Kruger's basement like my last effort

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence .... I think that solo will work better on gamelon.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Craig,

I know how much work this is so thank you very much. I worked with Lawerence on the Aloha Music Camp Student Concert recordings a couple years ago, then by myself last year. If you need any editing or pre-mastering help, please let me know. I'll crank up the ProTools.

Got a couple tunes for you also.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2004 :  5:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mahalo Dave. Andy, can you make this topic sticky until the CD is out?

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000