Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 John King's New Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Has anyone had the opportunity to purchase/work with John's new book of solos and duets?

Thanks for your review.

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Never heard of it till now, here a link http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=20250BCD&pageheader=&category=&author=2062&mode=author

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Well, as I'm a pretty basic player, this "review" might be next to worthless for a lot of you, but here goes:

I bought the book directly from John King at http://www.nalu-music.com/

The shipping was quick and John was speedy in answering my "before sales" question regarding which tuning was mostly used in the book--(high)GCEA. The book is not fancy in design, but is loaded with great information, melody, tabs and song selection. I've read a fair amount of the "standard" ukulele history, but found John's intro in this book to be superb (what else would you expect of John, right?). The included CD is a delight in and of itself. Some (most? all?) of these older tunes are ones I'm unfamiliar with, so listening along with the CD is a requirement since I don't read music well. I spent much time just listening to the CD, then listening to choice songs while following along with the book.

As stated, I'm a pretty basic player and even I found the tablature easy to follow along. If you're a more advanced player I sense you could really work the songs hard, even playing along with the CD. Note: John plays really fast. Not that fast is bad, it's just as it should be, I'm sure, but I am not good enough to play that quickly yet (ever?). To John's credit, though, the arrangements sound great at my slower speed, too (I have to jokingly admit, though, that I practiced a song several evenings in a row before I realized it was one I really liked on the CD--my playing just wasn't up to John's level where I could recognize "my" song!).

I especially enjoyed hearing different strum types on the CD and seeing them in the music. It helped me make the connection between what I was hearing, what I *knew* I was supposed to be doing and then actually doing it. I use the book by playing a chosen song in sections, slowly adding them together and re-listening to the CD to get it down better. Since I don't have any others to play with, I can't comment on the "duos" portion--but the songs can all be played by a solo player, it seems.

In short, this book is helping me develop my playing and giving me more confidence--and the CD is great to listen to any time!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tonya for such a nice review. I appreciate the time and effort you put into it. Also, thanks, kihoalukid for the link. I ordered the book yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Mahalo to the both of you for your kindness.

Aloha!

--Mark "Pops"
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  03:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just ordered a copy from the Nalu Music link. It's worth noting that Mr. King charges a nominal amount for shipping, so the total is under $20.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  10:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to all for the input. I just got my copy and I'll let you know what I find. Thanks,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  01:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
I love this forum.

Based on the review I ordered the book and am enjoying it tremendously. John makes full use of the high G tuning by treating the G string in a way that gets the most out of the instrument.

This is really helping this guitar player do something other than just thumping on the G string as if it was the bass. I am finding new finger patterns that are difficult to get used to, but as I continue working on them they are becoming more natural.

Thanks for the review.
Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000