Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Hi from a Newbie, and one question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VegasGeorge
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  9:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I had no idea that this forum was here. I'm glad to find it!

I mostly play Ukulele just for my own enjoyment, and I'm not very knowledgeable about Hawaiian music. I mostly play Scottish tunes, American Civil War tunes, Sacred tunes, and Stephen Foster tunes. It's just what I like.

Question: I like to tune my 8 string Lili'u in G (DGBE). Do any of you have any string recommendations, string sets, brands, or individual string sizes for that tuning? I've used Kamaka strings in the past. I just put a new set of ghs strings on, and I don't like them. The low G is particularly weak in the G tuning. If you people have more than one recommendation, I'll try them all.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  03:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Have you looked into Aquila Nylgut strings? I don't know if they offer anything for an 8 string but it's well worth checking to see if they do. They have a very sweet sound with great sustain.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Howdy (that's haole for Aloha),
I don't know how good you're going to find any strings in the DGBE tuning. The slackness of the strings may make it difficult to get decent sound out of it. have you tried Ko'olau "synthetic gut" style strings? In my experience, the tension has been too high for my taste in GCEA, maybe in DGBE they'd be better.

Welcome to the group!

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

VegasGeorge
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  2:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Ooh! Maybe I'm more unique than I thought! I've been playing my Tenor in the G tuning for years. On that I use a standard Martin Tenor set, substituting a D'Addario Pro-Arte NYL-040w (1.02mm) silver wound guitar string for the low D. I can use the same for the Lili'u, but I need a recommendation for the high D and high G strings. The Martins seem to be OK at the low tension, whereas the ghs set I just tried sounds terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into the Aquila Nylgut, and Ko'olau "synthetic gut" style strings. I'd never heard of either before, and I'm very interested in trying them out.

Is there a decent online source for individual strings? And, does anyone know of a web site that lists the string sizes in the various brand sets?

Keep'em humming and strumming!

George
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  10:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Juststrings.com does list string sizes in some cases.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  8:22:32 PM  Show Profile

Drop a line to Mick at Alternate Tunings. He is a self-proclaimed string nut and carries tons of strings. He can probably answer any questions you might have and make you a good deal on some strings too.

info @ alternatetunings.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000